JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ha ha. The lady friend happened to walk past me on the Dinkum Thinkum, (compouter) and laughed and asked why my head was cocked all side ways. I answered her that I was looking a a photo that was sideways. She laughed some more. You got me a good one that time! :)

We also tend to feed the critters too much, particularly in the wintertime. More unsalted peanuts are on the shopping list. That and returning the fancy compouter UPS power supply that didn't UPS. :(
If those peanuts could grow I would have a damn farm going here.:D
Been feeding the squirrels and such here for over 20 years. A LOT of them seem to get buried all over the property. Dogs manage to find some of them out there. Of course they then bring them in the house and eat them on the bed if we don't see them. Come in and find shells all over the bed now and then. Wife gave up yelling at me about it. :cool:

If those peanuts could grow I would have a damn farm going here.:D
Been feeding the squirrels and such here for over 20 years. A LOT of them seem to get buried all over the property. Dogs manage to find some of them out there. Of course they then bring them in the house and eat them on the bed if we don't see them. Come in and find shells all over the bed now and then. Wife gave up yelling at me about it. :cool:

You mean she doesn't kick you out of bed for eating peanuts in bed.

I'm sitting are work talking with you gents right now. Slow days are not fun.

I generally do not have "slow days". Being a s/w engineer that doesn't deal with the public or with work as it comes in, there is almost always a backlog of work to do - at least since we dumped our last lead. The previous lead was not good about managing projects from the sense of breaking things down into tasks and parceling them out - now things run much differently, things get done, we each know what we need to do and how to do it.

It took a while, but it goes much smoother now and releases are every 6 to 8 weeks instead of every 6 to 8 months, plus we don't spend 2 to 4 weeks between releases looking busy while we wonder what we need to do next because the lead didn't/wouldn't tell us. Instead, we start working on the next release well before the current release has been deployed.

This site makes many a slow night at work MUCH better. Now and then when I actually have to go to work I get mad that they interrupted me. Be typing away or reading some great thread and they actually want me to go do what they pay me for. Like WTF? :D
When the rain starts to slow business will pick up and from late spring until winter business will typically be busy enough that I might not have time to get on here during the work day. But in the middle of winter it gets so freakin slow. Well, more time for me to read and dream. Gotta plan my hunting for this fall.

I generally do not have "slow days". Being a s/w engineer that doesn't deal with the public or with work as it comes in, there is almost always a backlog of work to do - at least since we dumped our last lead. The previous lead was not good about managing projects from the sense of breaking things down into tasks and parceling them out - now things run much differently, things get done, we each know what we need to do and how to do it.

It took a while, but it goes much smoother now and releases are every 6 to 8 weeks instead of every 6 to 8 months, plus we don't spend 2 to 4 weeks between releases looking busy while we wonder what we need to do next because the lead didn't/wouldn't tell us. Instead, we start working on the next release well before the current release has been deployed.
I wish I had been smart enough to get one of those engineering degrees. I would be making a lot more money than my silly business degree has offered so far.

I just couldn't wrap my brain around the advanced math necessary for an engineering degree.

I started as a lowly diesel mech in the USCG, then came out and worked on tractors/equipment, working my way through community college, got an AS in equipment tech - which I didn't really need (they didn't teach me much I didn't already know), but I took a course in electronics which intrigued me; it seemed to me (and still does) that everybody and their dogs thinks they are a mech (even when it comes to tearing down a crawler or a combine) and I didn't want to be outside in weather like today for the rest of my life repairing some equipment in the mud and snow for flat rate having some shop/service manager tell me I was too slow.

I knew I could grasp electronics and many other people could not. So I went another two years and got an AS degree in EE, which got my foot in the door of hi-tech. It took another 5 years but that got my foot in the door of software and I saw where the money was - software not hardware, so I worked my way into writing software and been there for 30 years. Now I am a lead/senior engineer.

I don't have any real high math background - you don't really need it for most software engineering, especially business apps. I hired a math major last year and he had some good tech skills, but was difficult with people and is no longer on the team - which is too bad, we could have used his skills this year, but not at the cost of his personality.

Mostly I have taught myself what I know of software engineering. It takes some time, aptitude and a lot of perseverance, but I know more than one skilled s/w engineer who taught themselves.

The thing I really like, besides the problem solving, is always learning new things and improving my skills/knowledge.

I almost had to quit feeding the local murder of crows when the seagulls horned in.:mad:
The plastic pellets out of my air soft pistol may bounce off, but they sure don't like it. :eek:
Nothing lethal as they're too hard to get off of the roof. :rolleyes::p

Straying off topic here but at time dealing with the non compliant mental patients I kept asking myself why why why did I go into Registered Nursing from the Paramedic Firefighter gag and instead gone into heavy diesel mechanics school.

At least running the racks and adjusting the Jake Brakes on Detroit Diesels would have been more satisfying that difficult patients. At least the Detroits do not talk back. Went shopping and bought a goodly supply of unsalted peanuts. :) :)

I have deer that come in my yard in basically down town ANACORTES all the time lol my sister on the island has them every morning pass through her yard I could kill one with a bow at less than 20 yards from her balcony the one's that come in my yard I could kill with a buck knife they are city deer lol

On Tuesday I was driving up I 90 EAST BOUND MILE 38 I SAW A HUGE BOB CAT NEXT TO THE ROAD BIGGEST CAT I EVER SAW I'm guessing the heavy snow has sent them to lower spots to look for food

Last Edited:
I have deer that come in my yard in basically down town ANACORTES all the time lol my sister on the island has them every morning pass through her yard I could kill one with a bow at less than 20 yards from her balcony the one's that come in my yard I could kill with a buck knife they are city deer lol

These are definitely not "city deer".

I have noticed they are a lot more skittish.

This particular one is too young to learn to fear humans, but the deer up here are hunted - by humans, coyotes, cougar and so on.

Straying off topic here but at time dealing with the non compliant mental patients I kept asking myself why why why did I go into Registered Nursing from the Paramedic Firefighter gag and instead gone into heavy diesel mechanics school.

At least running the racks and adjusting the Jake Brakes on Detroit Diesels would have been more satisfying that difficult patients. At least the Detroits do not talk back. Went shopping and bought a goodly supply of unsalted peanuts. :) :)

I kind of liked being a mech, but I enjoy writing software much more.

It is problem solving - which was a nice part of being a mech - but more fun is creating the software, making it do and better things. Also, knowing that I am doing something that other people seem to struggle with understanding - I am using my brains.

Of course, getting paid well really helps too.

I wish I had been smart enough to get one of those engineering degrees. I would be making a lot more money than my silly business degree has offered so far.

Agricultural engineering seemed like the way to go 40 years ago and was for a while. Worked in the field, went into sales and marketing for a bit, started a landscape / excavation business, floundered around with that until I got a AA Business degree and finally got it right when I got the numbers side lined up with the technical side. I worked 25 years to get to 120K a year. Wish I could have done that a lot sooner.

One of my sons has MBA, but is looking at electrical engineering degree now. Smart kid, don't know where he got that good sense from.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top