JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There's a reason why I don't allow such devices in our home. (And, no, I'm not some irrational Luddite; I was writing code for microcomputers before I had a learner's permit, and developed software for mainframes before I could legally buy a beer.)

I posted this in another thread a long time ago. Seems to fit here as well...

BURGLAR: [Bursting into condo and pointing gun] "Don't do anything stupid, just give me all your cash."

MILLENNIAL: [Chuckling, tossing him a wallet] "Sure thing Pal. Alexa, call the police."

ALEXA: "Shuffling songs by the Police."

MILLENNIAL: [Listening to Roxanne and getting shot 16 times].

What about that house security system that locks and unlocks your front door with a cell phone ? .... Face bigsmyl.gif

I draw the line at access to the internet and quite enjoy my Hue lights and Nest fire/CO detectors.

Funny story - when I was thinking about the Nest detectors, I called their support and asked, "Does the detector function attached to wifi but not allowed to hit the internet?"

The support rep could not get it through his head that wifi networks can exist without access to the internet. Literally. After 10 minutes of trying to explain it to him, I had to ask to speak to someone else.

So, yep, I have me some smart devices. They're blocked at the router from getting out into the world and likewise, from the world getting in. Sure do love the ability to kill the downstairs alarm when cooking any recipe that calls for blackening and being able to control the light output from every single bulb individually.

My wife thought I was nuts about the Hue lights...but she was sold the first time that she killed the 2/3 of the kitchen lights that glare off the TV while leaving the tucked away 1/3 on...or the 1 that automatically goes to minimum brightness to light the way to the bathroom in the middle of the night...yea, these things are just awesome.

Better get a faraday cage for all your cell phones and computers.

I went all in with my new home. It's nice, convenient.

Love it when the kids being a turd and I can't find the TV remote. I just ask Alexa to turn on YouTube.

But hey, now that I said this, I must obviously be a commie democratic because the pack mentality here is Amazon Evil.

:p

I set my own personal limit for electronic automation at an iPhone app to control my heater/AC. If some whiz kid wants to hack into that and see how cool I stay in the summer, or warm in the winter, then so be it.

Wish I had this back in the day when Mrs. Teflon and I had separate homes an hour apart. Unplanned away games meant one of us might be heating or cooling an empty house overnight. This new system is super efficient and can achieve any temp we want with just 20-30 minutes lead time on the smartphone even after sitting idle for days or weeks.

Eavesdropping voice commands for Bank Accounts? Email? Bills? Medical? Passwords? Not so much.

There's a reason why I don't allow such devices in our home. (And, no, I'm not some irrational Luddite; I was writing code for microcomputers before I had a learner's permit, and developed software for mainframes before I could legally buy a beer.)
Your phone is a listening device.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads