JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So recent events has gotten me back into "planning mode", which I've found is always fruitful. An idea that I have kicked around on and off was, after retirement from my occupation, training to be a gunsmith and working as such. Knowing myself, there is no way I am going to just sit around in the retirement days, so a new venture would be in order. If present plans workout, the retirement work will likely be more in the agricultural field, but this is on my mind too.

We have retirement planning, more or less, nailed down. And I am so glad we started that when we did (early 20s). So the driving factor on this sort of thing is not income potential. On the other side, if it keeps me busy, so much the better to provide extra income for the family.

Anyway, I know there are gunsmiths on board, as wells advanced hobbyists, so would value any insight into entering the field. I am mechanically inclined and do a good deal of work on our own firearms, but for major projects I've normally left to a gunsmith.

What I can do now:

• Read everything on the topic.
  • Get setup from the legal and regulatory side. (This is done and, as far as I can see, an 01FFL would cover most gunsmithing activity. Though if there are other hoops to jump through, I will.)
  • Experiment with small projects.
  • Maybe take relevant course work (e.g., metal working, wood working, engraving, etc.) at local school, though with my present schedule this may be difficult.
  • Acquire tools as I learn new things.
  • Start an education fund (e.g., 529) for formal training.
What I can't do now, due to time, but would be in order:

• Attend a formal school.
  • Apprentice.
So, I thought I would ask those that have experience in the field:

• How did you enter said profession?
  • If you attended a formal school, which one was it, and do you recommend it?
  • Did you ever work along side a gunsmith as an apprentice and did you find it helpful?
  • Any books, etc., I should read now?
  • What not strictly firearm-related training has also helped?
  • Have you found the regulatory burden manageable?
  • Is there any specific niche you have found interesting, lucrative, under-served, or otherwise worth taking a closer look at?
  • Any other tips and tricks you'd like to share?
Thanks much. :)

Before retirement.....

I thought about being an FFL DEALER (kitchen table style). But then..... Because, of the rising costs to obtain and maintain a lic. And given that there are many changing, State, County and City regulations, that are dead set against anything to do with guns. And note that: Since I was retired. I wasn't really all that concerned about making a profit from the effort(s).

Well anyway.....

So then, I figured that it was just better to become a sort of, "Duce Bigalow". Makin' women happy! :p

Aloha, Mark

I have been to a few Armorer Schools during my working days (Colt AR15/M15/M4, Colt 1911 and Glock) and have always enjoyed working on my own firearms. A very good of friend of mine who traveled the same bath and became a gunsmith told me this "if you enjoy working on firearms, do not become a gunsmith. It is a very good way to screw up a terrific and enjoyable hobby".

I have been to a few Armorer Schools during my working days (Colt AR15/M15/M4, Colt 1911 and Glock) and have always enjoyed working on my own firearms. A very good of friend of mine who traveled the same bath and became a gunsmith told me this "if you enjoy working on firearms, do not become a gunsmith. It is a very good way to screw up a terrific and enjoyable hobby".

I think its like any job. The plumbers toilet always leaks kinda thing.

I have a ton of info for you on this topic.

First things first, how well can you run a engine lathe? You need to be able to take a $500 barrel, turn it and thread it in one shot. No redo's.
How about a vertical milling machine? Quite the lifesaver for all kinds of projects just ask @Kruel J about stuck screw removal.

Tig welding, take a class.
Headspace gauges, buy all ☹️ I bet I have $7000 just in gauges.
Don't wanna mention the other investments. Let's just say I could have my home paid off.

Hang out with a well established smith locally. He will teach you tons,
If you play your cards right. If not go to Colorado and take the gunsmith classes there.

The FFL side of it is simple. Guns come in the get logged into the book, when they leave they get logged out.

Insurance...be prepared to pay about $150 per month for this type of business insurance.

I will take the rest to pm's.

Last Edited:
Before retirement.....

I thought about being an FFL DEALER (kitchen table style). But then..... Because, of the rising costs to obtain and maintain a lic. And given that there are many changing, State, County and City regulations, that are dead set against anything to do with guns. And note that: Since I was retired. I wasn't really all that concerned about making a profit from the effort(s).

Well anyway.....

So then, I figured that it was just better to become a sort of, "Duce Bigalow". Makin' women happy! :p

Aloha, Mark

You get out there and work that mangina!!

43AB7712-8681-4FFC-A1E9-B7328FDF348F.jpeg

I was lucky enough to apprentice under a 1911 'smith who worked at Detonics, then was the Chief Pistolsmith at Oly Arms.

I also attended summer NRA classes at Lassen Comm. Coll. They have a wide variety of classes and programs that allow folks to take bits and pieces instead of going full time...check them out. They are located in Susanville Ca., so not very far south of the Oregon border. The cost is reasonable, and the education is top notch.

I also attended summer NRA classes at Lassen Comm. Coll. They have a wide variety of classes and programs that allow folks to take bits and pieces instead of going full time...check them out. They are located in Susanville Ca., so not very far south of the Oregon border. The cost is reasonable, and the education is top notch.

I looked into LCC once upon a time and it remember it being a well regarded school for gunsmithing.

I don't do it full time, its not a substantial part of my income so I don't need a FFL, and yes I researched this and talked to ATF and still have contacts within the alphabet dept.

To better answer your questions;

1 - I entered said profession first with the apprentice time as stated above, then with various armorer schools while in the LE career.

2 - Lassen Comm Coll summer programs

3 - Yes I did, and yes it is very helpful

4 - That depends on what you're wanting to do. I specialize in 1911 work, as well as everything a LE dept. would use, so I put my efforts there. All duty pistols, Sig, Glock, HK, Springfield, Colt, S&W (both pistols and revolvers). Rifles; AR platform, HK and Remington. Shotguns; Remington and Mossberg.

5 - Machine shop training, which Lassen offers in their summer courses.

6 - I don't have any, as I don't do it full time.

7 - I have found that sticking with the mainline firearms makers has helped a lot. There are zillions out there that eventually will need some help at some point.
But have found that once you work on, for example triggers on a number of different makes and models...after awhile they all have things in common that one can do competent work on most any trigger. There are some that are odd, but very few.

8 - Too many to type out here. Tips? Get quality tools from the start. DO NOT CUT CORNERS WITH YOUR TOOLS!!!!!! GARBAGE IN, GARBAGE OUT!!!!!

Here's part of my new shop I just finished, still working on the other half.

There are most likely many better talented 'smiths than me on here, I'm definitely not the end all...and I hope they chime in and give some advice and help out.
As with my firearms training school, I'm always willing to help out anyone wanting to break into the biz, I think it helps out the industry as a whole.

shop1.jpg

shop2.jpg

Last Edited:

First things first, how well can you run a engine lathe? You need to be able to take a $500 barrel, turn it and thread it in one shot. No redo's.
How about a vertical milling machine? Quite the lifesaver for all kinds of projects just ask @Kruel J about stuck screw removal.

Don't wanna mention the other investments. Let's just say I could have my home paid off.

If you play your cards right. If not go to Colorado and take the gunsmith classes there.

The FFL side of it is simple. Guns come in the get logged into the book, when they leave they get logged out.

Insurance...be prepared to pay about $150 per month for this type of business insurance.

This guy's skills are to marveled at. Trust me, seeing the EXACT diameter ring of a TINY machine screw head remaining with the receiver threads perfectly intact left me in awe.

There ya go...just depends how deep ya wanna get involved.

Compared to what Velzey can do, I'm pretty much nothing. I think a true gunsmith is one who can make parts etc, and I'm far from that. I can detail fit, build 1911s from the ground, but don't make screws etc , that there is a true artist.

I agree with the last part, too much to discuss to type here...contact me thru my website, a call would be much easier than typing.

Last Edited:
Thanks so much for all the insights. Much appreciated. :)

Tangential question: Anyone attend Yavapai College? (I realize a lot can change between now and then, but I'm curious. And between Arizona or Colorado, I know which I would rather temporarily reside in.)

This ^^^^^

I became a professional photographer 35 years ago and haven't taken a camera on vacation in years. And family pix? Let's just say the cobblers children have no shoes...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top