JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
As strong of a 2nd amendment supporter as I am, it does bother me quite a bit when the government tells private property owners what they can and can't do on their property. I've always felt that if it's my property, it's my rules, period. Don't like the government telling me otherwise.

I think all employer's need to provide reasonable on property storage or allow there employees to carry while at work as long as it doesn't interfere with there job duties. Sort of like the ADA where employers have to provide reasonable facilities for a disabled employee.
This leave your firearm in a unattended car in a parking lot that is not paroled or secure is just asking for firearms to get stolen!
Of course this is one man's opinion.

As strong of a 2nd amendment supporter as I am, it does bother me quite a bit when the government tells private property owners what they can and can't do on their property. I've always felt that if it's my property, it's my rules, period. Don't like the government telling me otherwise.

Agreed...but where does your property (your parking lot) start, and my property (my car) start?

If you set up a security perimeter and searched vehicles, you're basically taking an active stance to protect everyone and every thing inside...when you threaten termination or criminal charges, you just make the guys that follow the rules sweat every time they go to work.

Even where I work they realize that the gun thing is unenforceable...they either need to have lock boxes for people to lock up their pistols or allow them to leave it in their cars...so they chose the latter.

If you drive on military bases, there are conditions you are agreeing to by driving onto the base/property, and being there. They even have great big signs at the gates. One would hope that private employers would be respectful/mindful of their employees' concerns and wellness, but it's ultimately the employees' responsibility to conform to the company policies, like it or not.

o_O

If you drive on military bases, there are conditions you are agreeing to by driving onto the base/property, and being there. They even have great big signs at the gates. One would hope that private employers would be respectful/mindful of their employees' concerns and wellness, but it's ultimately the employees' responsibility to conform to the company policies, like it or not.

o_O

Military Base= Federal Property....sooo

I hear what your saying but I also feel the same way about my vehicle, whats in my vehicle is my own buisness. Its not uncommon for laws to be made where private and public overlap, such as parking lots. Everyone has to have a job to live, by allowing employers to prohibit security choices of others to and from work essentially means a person cant exercise their 2nd amendment right 5 days a week often more.
If you feel an employer has the right on their parking lot, then how do you feel about the same prohibition from the company that owns the store parking lot you shop at? The mall, grocery store, theater, restaurant... etc. Many of them also prohibit weapons your CHL doesnt matter there either... Do you leave your gun at home when you visit those places too?

I hear what your saying but I also feel the same way about my vehicle, whats in my vehicle is my own buisness. Its not uncommon for laws to be made where private and public overlap, such as parking lots. Everyone has to have a job to live, by allowing employers to prohibit security choices of others to and from work essentially means a person cant exercise their 2nd amendment right 5 days a week often more.
If you feel an employer has the right on their parking lot, then how do you feel about the same prohibition from the company that owns the store parking lot you shop at? The mall, grocery store, theater, restaurant... etc. Many of them also prohibit weapons your CHL doesnt matter there either... Do you leave your gun at home when you visit those places too?

I think Koda nailed it...Self Defense is a right...2nd Amendment is a right. Most of us have sat here and stated that we don't care what any sign says that we still carry...

I think Koda nailed it...Self Defense is a right...2nd Amendment is a right. Most of us have sat here and stated that we don't care what any sign says that we still carry...
Also the right to be free from unreasonable searches is a 4th amendmend right.

As a private property owner I can require that you don't come into my reloading room if you are married or are wearing shorts. If I employ you to help me reload then I can still require you to wear pants, but I can't refuse your entry to work on account of your being married. Now replace "married" with skin color, gender, sexual preferences, religion, etc. The question then is not can you limit the rights of private property, but can you add possession of a firearm in a vehicle to the list of exceptions to the rights of employers?

I'd support a law like that. My vehicle is my property, If Im honoring their damn in house anti firearm policy the least they can do is allow you to store it in your effing vehicle.. Again.. "If" you follow their policy and are playing by their rules.

It is a form of discrimination to ban firearms period. Its a constitutional right and if these strange neo genders and religions are getting all kinds of recognition and special treatment and women are getting paid more than males because of some false statistic though they may put in less hours then by god I should be able to arm myself discreetly while on the job so long as it doesn't hinder my performance of said job.

Friends, make no mistake, we're on the same page here. I'm just thinking out loud. If the government can compel the private property owner to allow personal cars to be exempt from search, what else can they compel us to do, on our private property, against our wills? The challenge of freedom is occasionally sticking up for the rights of people that you don't believe with. If a rabid anti-firearm person forbids the possession of firearms on their own property....isn't that their right? Seems several large retail chains have made that clear.

Look, banning firearms in people's cars doesn't make sense to me, but we either have freedom and liberty or we don't. Even if we don't agree with it.

Only one man's opinion here...thinking out loud, nothing more.

PS: I carry concealed.....everywhere.

Even as a sworn officer, I couldn't carry onto Federal property, including parks like Yosemite, court houses, museums etc..Now does that mean I left my piece at home when I cruised into Yosemite on my sled? Um, do you have video of me? Then you don't have anything...:p
But I agree, if we start giving up our rights, then where does it end?
Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...;)..

Even as a sworn officer, I couldn't carry onto Federal property, including parks like Yosemite, court houses, museums etc..Now does that mean I left my piece at home when I cruised into Yosemite on my sled? Um, do you have video of me? Then you don't have anything...:p
But I agree, if we start giving up our rights, then where does it end?
Better to be tried by twelve than carried by six...;)..

You need to update your thinking. The laws changed with regards to National Parks

Visitors may possess firearms within a national park unit provided they comply with federal, state, and local laws.

http://www.nps.gov/gate/learn/management/firearms-in-national-parks.htm

we have a no guns on company property policy. my boss (including himself)knows me and about 8 other guys have our carry guns at work. he doesnt mind because we all are responsible CHL holders. the other day there were 4 ARs in the shop as well.

The main difference here is in contract law that an employer and employee have a contractual relationship that requires performance and consideration on both sides. Such contractual relationship does not exist in other public places like restaurants, stores etc.

Private properties can ban weapons possession on their properties. It does not make it right, but that is basically castle doctrine. Possession on certain public properties within the context of state concealed weapons possession laws is usually allowed with exceptions.

Do I leave my gun at home ?? Never at home, very seldom go any place that I cannot carry. Concealed means concealed. Unless very clearly and prominently posted you can usually plead ignorance if found out for any reason. Most people can not even read the push or pull sign on doors let alone any other signage.

What's getting lost here is the fact that in Portland, the courts have ruled that YOUR PERSONAL CAR is a public place. As long as laws like that are on the books, we're still a step behind...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top