JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just won an auction for a 100% "Ithaca" 1911a1. The price was a little over 1300. However he sent an email sincerely apologizing for accidental misrepresentation. Turns out the gun has an Ithaca slide with a Remington Rand frame. He offered to lower the price down to 1000 shipped. Is this still a decent deal? I would definitely shoot it, but would like to, if I absolutely have to be able to at least sell it at cost down the road. Because of the mistake, he also said I could back out of the auction no harm no fail. I am leaning more towards going through with it. What are you guys thoughts?

So yay or nay, what are you guys thoughts?

Would it be correct to swap out the wood grips for brown plastic ones as well?

Also, would restoring it professionally take value away?

0DABE255-00E5-4E91-AA48-3B0A8830F9B3.jpeg 4A9FCCEA-8F99-4F6E-A62E-049B9DC51D04.jpeg EE3E36C4-53A5-4394-A077-F8DEF66088CD.jpeg

Since no else is answering.....
First nice looking 1911! If it was a dealer I'd give it a ponder. If it was a
Person to person sale, the alarms bells would go off.
How important to you that you have to have a vintage parts matching WW2
1911? I think that's the question your asking yourself.
Good Luck with your choice.

Offer him $800 and see where it takes you. There are many miss-matched 1911s as armorers would slap guns together as needed. It's a shooter with history as opposed to a real collectors item.

Personally, that's a bunch of money for a shooter. You can get a nice 1911 for much less.

His MAJOR fault, as it was up for bids for how long???? He could have changed/ended it a long time previous. If you are h_ll bent on something this mismatched and vintage, offer him much less and explain it was his error and he could have ended it long before, and that you NEVER would have bid that high for it.

Also explain you have no problem contacting GunBroker for potential fraud and/or a bait and switch.

Sounds like a scammer to me. (Wants to see how high it goes. Say "oops, sorry, but I'll make you a deal...." reduces it a couple hundred to make you feel good about it)

Sorry, that's just me.

Added: it would make me question everything else about it too.

Well for me? No, I would not take it. Now that does not mean others would not jump all over it at 1K. These even when no longer correct sell for insane prices. Now as mentioned red flags are flying here. You are buying it without being able to really tell for sure what you are buying and the seller already tried to pull one over on you. You could end up with a pistol that is not worth near what you paid,or you could end up with a pistol that others would give you far more than you paid the second you get it. As for "restore" if you mean what I think that means I would avoid it. Collectors want them original. This thing is a 1K gamble. May or may not be a lesson learned if you go through. If you do take it please let us know how it works out, good or bad. Good luck!

Id pass or go for a lot less. No way you'll get $1k back for that should you sell later since its a mixed lot.

Lots of top of the line 1911's brand new for that price and people try to get better bang for their buck these days, so collector interest only. I wonder what a 1911 forum would say about it?

Looks like their payment options leave you absolutely ZERO recourse if the deal is bad or the item is mis-represented.
Money order, cashiers check, PayPal, etc.... No credit card accepted, you are screwed!

I've read most of the reply's, and personally, I'd pass as the item was misrepresented. That's an easy decision. Unless of course you just have to have an Ithaca slide, WWII 1911A1. I think with a little searching, you'd be able to find a mismatched 1911 for significantly less than $1K.

Don't worry about your gunbroker reputation, based upon the facts, they can fix that. I'd be interested to know this fellas feedback rating...

I can't see the arsenal rebuild stamp markings. If it went through a rebuild, it would be branded as such.
Having worked in a U.S. Army Arsenal and having done a Massive Re-Build of 200 1911A1s, I can tell you that Re-Builds are not "always" Stamped. Those Pistols were part of a Larger Group of 400 of which 200 are Processed every Three to Four years. So, they would be Simply Covered with Stamping of that were "ALWAYS" done. KKG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top