JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wasn't aware that there were anything besides varmint loads for .22-250. Not sure what I think about .223 for mule deer, but I suppose if in the hands of a marksman it would be ok.
My Montana friend uses the Federal Premium 22-250 loaded with the 60 gr Nosler Partition, for deer and antelope and there are other 22-250 loads designed for smaller big game, like Winchester's 64 gr Power Point, Nosler's 64 gr bonded bullet and Barnes 53 gr TSX. He is a crack shot and farms, so he basically scouts 24/7, hunts on his own land and has the advantage of long hunting season. For him, the 22/250 is more than sufficient for antelope, and while he has taken whitetails and mule deer with it, he usually carries a 7mm Remington Magnum when he is after mule deer.

Just ran down to PSA in Columbia. They have the same stuff in the store as they have online and their shelves are organized just about as good as their online store as in not at all. Best prices on ammo Ive seen though. Pretty girls behind the counter who didnt pretend to know what they were talking about . All in all a good trip. I like pretty girls.

diBRiT.jpg

Just ran down to PSA in Columbia. They have the same stuff in the store as they have online and their shelves are organized just about as good as their online store as in not at all. Best prices on ammo Ive seen though. Pretty girls behind the counter who didnt pretend to know what hey were talking about . All in all a good trip. I like pretty girls.
Decent ammo prices in a physical shop? :eek::s0001:

Yeah, I picked up 10 boxes of 50 count Magtech 300 BO for $26.38 a box. Their online price is 24.99. Still about $20 per box cheaper than any other place Ive seen. Only thing even closely comparable is Hyatts up in Charlotte, which is a great gun store for black rifles and theyre closer to $30 for 50 count. I'm just down the street from Nichols in Rock Hill but thats where the morons are at and their prices on ammo sucks.

Yeah, I picked up 10 boxes of 50 count Magtech 300 BO for $26.38 a box. Their online price is 24.99. Still about $20 per box cheaper than any other place Ive seen. Only thing even closely comparable is Hyatts up in Charlotte, which is a great gun store for black rifles and theyre closer to $30 for 50 count. I'm just down the street from Nichols in Rock Hill but thats where the morons are at and their prices on ammo sucks.
Stores near my house don't have decent ammo prices. Doesn't help I'm in the middle of nowhere either when I'm home.

My Montana friend uses the Federal Premium 22-250 loaded with the 60 gr Nosler Partition, for deer and antelope and there are other 22-250 loads designed for smaller big game, like Winchester's 64 gr Power Point, Nosler's 64 gr bonded bullet and Barnes 53 gr TSX. He is a crack shot and farms, so he basically scouts 24/7, hunts on his own land and has the advantage of long hunting season. For him, the 22/250 is more than sufficient for antelope, and while he has taken whitetails and mule deer with it, he usually carries a 7mm Remington Magnum when he is after mule deer.

Yeah, it's been probably 30yrs since I bought ammo or reloaded for .22-250. I'm not surprised at all there are hunting loads for it, just saying I didn't know... thx!

My company has dozens of field offices all over the US and the world that I monitor and do investigations of crimes for.

One of our largest is in Charlotte, with another in Rock Hill.

The three locations that routinely have theft or other crime issues are Charlotte, Spokane, and San Luis Potosi, Mexico. Latest was a stolen U-Haul van left in our Charlotte parking lot and ensuing foot chase by the cops. Caught it all on video. Fun to watch.

But folks who have moved there really like Charlotte; decent weather, lots of outdoor activities available, and not too far from some very cool places.

Gun shops seem to be "ground zero" for idiocy. Between the stupidity, mark-up, treating my female sidekick (at best) like a piece of furniture, the occasional racial slur, and the rest, I (essentially) gave up on them years ago. Instead, I just bought online and transferred through a "kitchen table" FFL. Now I have an 01FFL license, so it is even more of a moot point.

And, on that point, the business model for my side show is basically "the cheapest transfer price in the county, quick, easy, and no bullcrap, transfers."

Bought a house in South Carolina this morning ...or at least my offer on one was accepted, so like everyone else when confronted with a new life milestone I buy or build a gun. I had a SIG Rattler top end I picked up on a pretty good sale last week so I went shopping for a virgin lower to build a handy pistol with. The local gun shop ( They have some GREAT gun shops in the Charlotte area ) here was pushing Anderson Lowers but Ive had problems with those things in the past . They had a few Ruger 556 lowers in stock ( You know old Bill is ROLLING in his grave ) so I grabbed one. The guy behind the counter , who I think was the manager , asked me what caliber I was building . I told him it was a 300 Blackout SIG Rattler upper. He said I couldnt do that because the lower was is marked 556. I told him no, that is completely wrong and that

a. Not only is the lower not marked for caliber ( AR-556 is the model designation not a caliber designation. ) there is no such thing as a caliber on a lower . Its just a lower until its built into a gun. The caliber markings do not need to be present on anything but NFA if a end user buildss the gun.

b. It doesnt matter anyway. Apparently his ATF guy told him they have to build whats on the lower . I told him THEY have to build whats on the lower as a licensed 02/07 SOT and that doesnt apply to me as a builder.

He wasnt having any of it. Went off mumbling about me going to jail if I get caught and its not his fault.

Gun shops...Theyre the same everywhere.

View attachment 580700

NFA ( An individual can not make a new Machine Gun - Full auto weapon) (Supperssors - Short barrel rifles OK with being registered first with the ATF)
Check with ATF I am not an expert)

Congrats on the new house and the Rattler that goes with it! I do the same thing, life memorable times buy a gun. My Rattler was from me selling my other business. Love that gun. 220gn Subs with my Griffin Recce 7 suppressor is a dream to shoot.

Bought a house in South Carolina this morning ...or at least my offer on one was accepted, so like everyone else when confronted with a new life milestone I buy or build a gun. I had a SIG Rattler top end I picked up on a pretty good sale last week so I went shopping for a virgin lower to build a handy pistol with. The local gun shop ( They have some GREAT gun shops in the Charlotte area ) here was pushing Anderson Lowers but Ive had problems with those things in the past . They had a few Ruger 556 lowers in stock ( You know old Bill is ROLLING in his grave ) so I grabbed one. The guy behind the counter , who I think was the manager , asked me what caliber I was building . I told him it was a 300 Blackout SIG Rattler upper. He said I couldnt do that because the lower was is marked 556. I told him no, that is completely wrong and that

a. Not only is the lower not marked for caliber ( AR-556 is the model designation not a caliber designation. ) there is no such thing as a caliber on a lower . Its just a lower until its built into a gun. The caliber markings do not need to be present on anything but NFA if a end user buildss the gun.

b. It doesnt matter anyway. Apparently his ATF guy told him they have to build whats on the lower . I told him THEY have to build whats on the lower as a licensed 02/07 SOT and that doesnt apply to me as a builder.

He wasnt having any of it. Went off mumbling about me going to jail if I get caught and its not his fault.

Gun shops...Theyre the same everywhere.

View attachment 580700
They are interested in the serial number, some lowers are even marked rifle or pistol, some rifle, some like you saw may have a caliber. Without a serial number they wouldn't have a way of tracing it. If it complies with pistol (over all and barrel length it's a pistol or possible shot rifle that needs to be taxed and background check) Longer barrel added and over all length it's a rifle. He can't be held for anything you do with it. All he did is sell a lower unit but the serial number is recorded as a whole firearm, so back ground and fill out the form just like you bought a whole rifle.

Lowers arent rifles or pistols and no, it is not recorded like a whole firearm and it is not excise taxed like a whole firearm at the manufacturer level. Receivers are sold as "other" on the 4473 but caliber markings on receivers are meaningless if it was not transferred as a complete firearm. The ATF still requires that receivers be sold only to in state residents though as they can be built into a pistol by the end user. The Serail number, manufacturer and model number are all that is required. I have several lowers , even ones that came on complete rifles, that have no caliber designation since the barrel had it. Just has to be in the gun if a licensed manufacturer builds it. End users ...builders...have no such requirement.

I know a number of guns shops with excellent folks in them.

Every place selling anything has knuckleheads, but c'mon you 'gun-ists', they're (gun store folk) not all to a person ignoramus's.

I'll be in one tomorrow and every person working at the gun counter knows their stuff where I'm going.

Sheesh!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads