JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,
I don't know if this would be the correct forum or not...but here goes.
So I am moving, and I don't really trust the moving company to move my firearms...in addition I have some NFA Items, Gunpowder, ammo, etc....that they will not move.
So, my plan is to rent a Uhaul truck (or similar) and move my own gun stuff across country myself.

Does anyone know a method (tool to buy, tool to rent, etc).to move a large gun safe (Browning 64 safe...I think weighs 650 lbs empty)? Assuming I have just 1 or 2 friends helping (ie not 6 guys dead lifting the safe). I found some tools online, but at $600 it doesn't make sense to buy some of these.
OR
Anyone know a moving service who will move the safe from my garage to a U-Haul truck for a reasonable amount?

Note: I am leaning towards option #1 above, because I need to reverse the process at the new house.

Thanks in advance....

The way I do it:
Empty your safe, move your firearms yourself.
Hire movers to move your safe. Once it's where you want it, load it back up. I always time it so my firearms spend the least amount of time unsecured as possible, usually a couple hours tops.

NFA items? That rings the bell. It might be cheaper and easier in the long run to have a Class 3 dealer ship your NFA goodies to your destination. Class 3 dealer to Class 3 dealer. Probably air freight. Spendy. If otherwise you have your 5200 something permission slip to move your NFA stuff across state lines, you may still cross over and through states where things might get dicey. Just a thought.

All BATFE rules and regulations apply.

Talk to a Class 3 dealer. Pick their minds. They may have the correct shipping method.

I rented a pallet jack and also used lengths of 3/4" electrical conduit to roll the safe into a tight space once it was off the pallet jack.
I also used a come along to winch a safe up the ramp into a U-Haul as it didn't have a lift gate.

Cross country? I'd sell it and buy a new one. When moving one from one part of the house to the other I once use a piano jack. Good luck to you! In if it were me I'd be sleeping in the truck every night. Too many stories of people having their moving truck stolen with everything in it.

Cross country? I'd sell it and buy a new one. When moving one from one part of the house to the other I once use a piano jack. Good luck to you! In if it were me I'd be sleeping in the truck every night. Too many stories of people having their moving truck stolen with everything in it.

Yah. Sell it would likely be easiest.

For the move itself & until you get situated and can buy another decent safe, buy a job box.

Something like this:

RIDGID 48 in. x 24 in. Universal Storage Chest-48R-OS - The Home Depot

Don't have easy access to a pickup truck? Many Home Depot's rent trucks at $20/hour. Grab 2 staff guys to help you load it in, can unload it yourself.

Will give moderate security for the mean time, and when empty can be moved easily by yourself with a 2 wheeler.

Once you get situated and have the new safe, can sell the job box. Or keep it and use it in your shop etc.

My cousin and I moved an 850lb empty one into my house.

Two furniture carts from Harbor Freight for $8 and one handcart without inflatable wheels.

Took us about an hour and a half to move it 30'. In one door, through and interior hallway and another door to rest in its position.

Can I ask where you rented a pallet jack and how much?

I rented it from SW Barbur Blvd. Rentals and that vintage safe was so heavy, (concrete lined) it blew the hydraulic seals just as it was ready to winch into my trailer. It topped the scales at 2,700 lbs.
That jack was a smaller sized one then the normal grocery pallet models, so the legs could fit between the cast iron wheels.
I needed a bunch of wood blocks to raise it up high enough to get it into my utility trailer.
I bought the safe at an estate sale after I placed a low ball bid of $125.00 on it and later in the they called me to come get it.
The rental yard didn't charge me after I told them of the problems I had with it. Normal one day rentals go for $35.00.
I have bought a full size pallet jack since then and you're more then welcome to use it. It's the full sized one and I just moved a 1921 Safety-Safe Laboratory fireproof safe that i purchased on Craigslist for only $100.

I rented a stair climbing hand truck. Even if you aren't dealing with stairs they will lift and then recline, then you push it like a grocery cart. I moved two 900+ pound safes with ease, by myself. Word of advice, practice empty and watch videos if you plan on ascending or descending stairs loaded. Also, it only cost like $50-$60 for a full day rental.

I moved a safe with my nephew. We tilted the safe until we could get rollers under it (buy an 8' piece of round wood stock and cut into 4 pieces). You can easily move it once on the rollers. You can also cut small ramps to roll over thresholds, etc.

But your safe is larger. Good luck. I think selling is a good idea. Buy smaller safes on the far end of your trip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top