JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We sure live in a liberal state during liberal times. I can't believe so many of you are sticking up for pot smokers.

I have a friend, we grew up together, three friends actually. We all did drugs, pot acid heroin. I quit all of it 30 plus years ago. One friend finally just quit drugs and alcohol a few years ago and is getting his life back to normal, at age 60. The third guy has never had a wife, only a few girl friends, he has had a good deal of trouble keeping a job because the *&^%%#@! shop owners have some weird idea about people being to work on time. His rented house was hard to get through because of all the crap laying all over, but I think he lives under bridges now.
Pot was his drug of choice. Year after year he just never rose to the levels his high IQ should have taken him.

You all can fool each other, but you can't fool me!

Well...that's your opinion man.

I'm genuinely sorry for your friends lack of sobriety and the life he has led.

But you're only giving us a piece of the puzzle. We don't know if this person had mental disorders? Clinical depression? PTS syndrome?...Come on Parts...Give us a break. If you want to pidgeon hole yourself as some kind of higher conservative type that casts disparagements to what?! Liberals and a liberal state!?

If you have nothing better to contribute than that...maybe a fool can't be fooled.

Will

We sure live in a liberal state during liberal times. I can't believe so many of you are sticking up for pot smokers.

I have a friend, we grew up together, three friends actually. We all did drugs, pot acid heroin. I quit all of it 30 plus years ago. One friend finally just quit drugs and alcohol a few years ago and is getting his life back to normal, at age 60. The third guy has never had a wife, only a few girl friends, he has had a good deal of trouble keeping a job because the *&^%%#@! shop owners have some weird idea about people being to work on time. His rented house was hard to get through because of all the crap laying all over, but I think he lives under bridges now.
Pot was his drug of choice. Year after year he just never rose to the levels his high IQ should have taken him.

You all can fool each other, but you can't fool me!

You got me. I have been fooling myself all these years. I need to quit my job and sell my house so I can live under a bridge with all the other pot smokers of the world. Ignorant much?

Yeah, and a case can be made for heroin too. If heroin is pure people can use it their whole long lives, assuming they don't get infections from intravenous use. I can't believe any rational person would really advocate either heroin or pot based on the fact that some people use it without dying. Justifying the use of pot should reasonably open the discussion to other mind wasting drugs.

What a waste!

It's scary as heck to think that people are driving the same streets as I do with their heads up their ****'s.

I've always been amused at the one huge similarity between the right to carry, and the right to medical marijuana. All it takes is one person in real need, being yourself or a much loved family member or friend, with the right to carry we've got rape, assault, murder, and so forth, with medical marijuana its chemotherapy, aids, severe chronic pain from a lot of different sources.

The way as I see it, as Americans we've been born and raised that we've got the right to pursue the happiness, as in the best quality of life we can get for ourselves, if medical marijuana works better for you than prescription painkillers, nausea suppressants, you should have the option, just like if you're not a fan of being at the mercy of any criminal out there, you should have the option of being armed. When you combine the two the ability to defend yourself becomes even more important, the prohibition has made marijuana worth a LOT of money, the lack of the ability to get it from a pharmacy means you have to grow your own, enough to make sure that if a crop goes bad, you won't be completely out of luck, would be the same if you had to create your own painkillers. I've known people who have had to move out of particular low income areas because it became known they were a chronic pain patient and their house was repeatedly robbed for their opiate painkillers.

We gun owners tend to look down our nose at people who want to pull our gun rights as the scum of the earth, it must be even worse for people who've found a medication that helps give them some quality of life when they'd have none, and people want to take that away.

I'll end this rant before it gets any longer, but let me just sum it up by saying I believe in freedom.

** forgive the run-on sentences, I'm certainly no writer **

Yeah, and a case can be made for heroin too. If heroin is pure people can use it their whole long lives, assuming they don't get infections from intravenous use. I can't believe any rational person would really advocate either heroin or pot based on the fact that some people use it without dying. Justifying the use of pot should reasonably open the discussion to other mind wasting drugs.

What a waste!

It's scary as heck to think that people are driving the same streets as I do with their heads up their ****'s.

Good point, heroin and pot are exactly the same thing.....Forgive me for ever taking u seriously.

They are the same.

Both are illegal to use under federal law.

Not for long....Rumor has it that marijuana is about to be delisted from schedule 1 at the federal level--and besides, Obama already stated that he was backing off the feds going after states with marijuana laws.

Please explain to me why it should be illegal to use pure heroin. I know for a fact that heroin users can 'manage' their addiction, without effecting those around them, and can be productive. If pot should be legal, in my opinion, heroin should be too!

You use those things to alter your consciousness, people aren't happy with reality as it is.

The folks who say pot should be legal are, for the most part, the same ones who say heroin should be legal, a victimless crime. Libertarians. Legalize prostitution, gambling, and eventually all manner of disgusting and degrading activities. That's why I'd never vote for Ron Paul.

It's really similar to alcohol too, and I suffered with that too. Some folks can drink a little, I don't understand that but it's true. As long as they don't drive on the roads with me it's their problem. In a perfect world no one would use any of it in my opinion.

50 years ago no one would talk about pot like it should be legal, normal people didn't use the stuff, I don't remember anyone talking about it, and we all loved life.

Now if you say it shouldn't be used your the oddball.

It's another sign of the times.

But be consistent, legalize heroin and cocaine and everything else while your at it.

I'll be long gone.

Can we get back to talking about firearms and leave the ethical and effect debate of smoking dope and other drugs to some other internet sight? No offense, but I just don't care what you guys do for recreation beyond shooting. Talk about guns and go talk about what pot does to you on a pot forum. This thread started out with a reasonable question and has quickly fallen apart...

Can we get back to talking about firearms and leave the ethical and effect debate of smoking dope and other drugs to some other internet sight? No offense, but I just don't care what you guys do for recreation beyond shooting. Talk about guns and go talk about what pot does to you on a pot forum. This thread started out with a reasonable question and has quickly fallen apart...

I thought they were still on topic.

It's all based on if these should be deemed illegal or legal.

Illegal: no license
Legal: license

Simple debate on the legality from both viewpoints.

Yep.... there are definitely some drugs out there that are or can be dangerous to use recreationally. A few obvious examples include heroin, amphetamines, and alcohol.

Cannabis isn't.

It kills ambition and eventually the logic centers.. but whatever

You did not mention perhaps the most dangerous modern street drug: Meth. That stuff is nasty and quickly fries the conscience center of the brain

The argument centers around whether or not someone should lose the right to own guns if they tend to smoke pot, and that begs the question of whether or not their judgment is impaired.

I think it is. Not only in the short term while stoned but also afterwards.

To my way of thinking the man who makes excuses for such behavior is impaired. Judgment when using deadly force implies a basic understanding of right and wrong, and when people talk about pot those who want it legalized tend to blur the concepts for their own purposes.

My arguments in this are whether or not a person agrees to commonly accepted norms of behavior, if there is any doubt about that then perhaps they shouldn't be able to wield deadly force.

Even without any drug use we tend to think that if someone believes killing others for any reason that suits them should not have a weapon. They exhibit behavior based on faulty concepts of right and wrong, we agree people can argue about these things but we stop short of letting them carry guns, in fact we incarcerate them if they exhibit threats so they can't act out their lack of common moral values on anybody else.

My argument is that people who think they should have the right to change their states of consciousness in contravention to societal norms are already displaying a lack of common moral values, much as if they were advocating killing the president or an abortion doctor. (Not to the same degree however.)

This is all pretty clear to me. What's scary about this thread is that people are arguing that people who exhibit morals contrary to social norms should be allowed to carry firearms, and even worse, that these new looser ideas are becoming the new social norms!

Liberty can only flourish when the recipients use personal responsibility, when responsibility begins to fade liberty becomes license. The term license in this sense is in a negative sense, as in "When liberty becomes license, dictatorship is near." (Will Durant)

We are entering into a time of licentiousness. The discussion at hand is a perfect indicator of our times. :(

I totally agree. I have become much more libertarian in the past few years. I wonder how they can justify trying to control marijuana. For the record, I don't use it don't have friends that do. I am just sick of the government putting it's nose where it doesn't belong.

If it doesn't have to do with the security of our nation, what are you doing legislating it? The more liberal side of me says, legalize it and tax the crap out of it. You will get rid of lots of the illegal drug trade and kill the deficit.
Not to mention you will kill off a lot of violent crime related to drug cartels and gangs, of course that would be if all drugs were legal, not just pot. I pretty much consider myself a Libertarian too, get the government out of everyone's business.

I don't smoke pot and I'm certainly not going to try to stop anyone who wants to.

Anyone ever watch Penn & Teller:Bullsh*t? The illegal drug episode was great (as is the Gun control and the rest of their episodes), according to that episode, 7 people are currently receiving medical marijuana from the federal government, they interviewed one who's been getting it for over 20 years, he smokes 2 joints in the morning then 1 on the way to work in his car, it doesn't seem to impair his driving. He's a very successful stock broker, not some stoner looser either.

Overall alcohol is a much more damaging substance, and it's perfectly legal!
The folks who say pot should be legal are, for the most part, the same ones who say heroin should be legal, a victimless crime. Libertarians. Legalize prostitution, gambling, and eventually all manner of disgusting and degrading activities. That's why I'd never vote for Ron Paul.
Why do you care what anyone else does with their money or between consenting adults?

If you want to shoot a gun, don't be drunk and don't be high, it's a simple concept.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top