JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
because someone inhales some smoke from a burning weed

:s0077:

So, if, for example, someone happens to have accidentally murdered 12 people with an axe, that shouldn't be used to withhold their 2nd amendment rights from them, right?
How many people do you know who have gotten high from pot accidentally? Wait, I guess that depends on how thick the smoke is in the houses you hang around in. Probably a few have come there selling cookies, trying to give you watchtower magazines, selling pots and pans. :s0114:

No, we are talking about people deliberately smoking pot for the purpose of getting high, and claiming it's medicinal. And you want them stumbling around with guns.
The point in all this, and the question of the OP, is whether or not people who are impaired should wield deadly weapons. To imply that the second applies to anyone regardless of their dangerousness to everyday civilians around them is silly.
What have you been smoking? :D

Yes: In one getting drunk

No: in relaxation (1-2 drinks?)
I think that one beer or equivalent can help to relax somebody after a stressful day.

I don't think that prohibition should have existed. Now keep in mind that I am one of a minute few in my generation who believe this way.

You think prohibition should not have existed but that pot should be illegal? Do you not see the parallels? In both cases making the substance illegal created a huge unregulated black market. In both cases abuse of the substance increased during prohibition. In both cases crime went up dramatically due to the blackmarket that was created. In the case of alcohol prohibition as soon as it was repealed alcohol abuse and the crime associated with it went down dramatically. I have no doubt that if marijuana is ever legalized that we will see a similar decline in marijuana abuse and marijuana related crimes.

You think prohibition should not have existed but that pot should be illegal? Do you not see the parallels? In both cases making the substance illegal created a huge unregulated black market. In both cases abuse of the substance increased during prohibition. In both cases crime went up dramatically due to the blackmarket that was created. In the case of alcohol prohibition as soon as it was repealed alcohol abuse and the crime associated with it went down dramatically. I have no doubt that if marijuana is ever legalized that we will see a similar decline in marijuana abuse and marijuana related crimes.

Some of you guys are real comedians.

Perhaps legalization is not the answer...

Perhaps retaining it as type 1 drug and federally illegal isn't either...

Mayhaps, decriminilization?

Look, if it's legalized every profit directed corporation will get involved somehow. Can you imagine? Phizerjuana? Glaxo-Smith-Ganga?
That it could be a tax based revenue enhancement for the government if it were legalized, is a possibilty. But this product would continue to be grown privately.

I'm thinking decriminilization. Not an issue whereby a gun permit or gunpurchase would be an issue.

...and yes, of course, as with any mind altering substance...don't handle firearms!

Will

Perhaps legalization is not the answer...

Perhaps retaining it as type 1 drug and federally illegal isn't either...

Mayhaps, decriminilization?

Look, if it's legalized every profit directed corporation will get involved somehow. Can you imagine? Phizerjuana? Glaxo-Smith-Ganga?
That it could be a tax based revenue enhancement for the government if it were legalized, is a possibilty. But this product would continue to be grown privately.

I'm thinking decriminilization. Not an issue whereby a gun permit or gunpurchase would be an issue.

...and yes, of course, as with any mind altering substance...don't handle firearms!

Will

If it was legal it could be HIGHLY profitable, and taxable.(no pun intended) Some people might still grow it themselves, but I doubt it would pose a serious problem. The majority would go buy it since the difficulty of growing it is supposedly about on par with growing tomatoes. The few that do grow wouldn't have to worry about being robbed if it was readily available since very few would be dumb enough to risk jail to steal a few plants if they could buy it legally. Most pot heads would take the easy path and buy it legally if it was an option, and would not hesitate to pay prices similar to if not higher than the current cost of cigarettes.

I agree wholeheartedly about not mixing mind altering substances and guns though, whether that substance be pot, alcohol or perscription pain killers.

Care to elaborate? I did not intend any of my post as a joke. Do you disagree with something I said? If so, on what basis?

I think what he and several others are trying to say is--if you do not think marijuana is the devil, then you are stupid. It's much easier than debating bothersome things like facts and actual experience.

Ok, this thread has gone on quite a bit longer than it should have.

OPs question, "Gun Ownership + Medical Marijuana Use: Is it legal?"

Answer: Regardless of anyone's opinion on Marijuana and laws about it in individual states, Marijuana is illegal in the eyes of the federal government.
The forms you fill out to purchase a firearm from a dealer are federal forms, which are abiding by federal laws.
Therefore, if you are an user of Marijuana at all, medical, recreational, or otherwise, it is illegal and you are not able to purchase a firearm from a dealer, as it is illegal in the eyes of the federal government for you to purchase firearms.

/thread

if you do not think marijuana is the devil, then you are stupid.

Since I didn't see where anyone said it was the devil,,,,,

Yep, close this one up, pot smokers will always justify it, drinkers know they shouldn't drink and carry guns, but pot smokers not so much. I hate illegal drugs, a lot of the killings using guns are done in the name of illegal drugs, and if it were legal those guys would have to sell crack instead of pot.

Since I didn't see where anyone said it was the devil,,,,,

Yep, close this one up, pot smokers will always justify it, drinkers know they shouldn't drink and carry guns, but pot smokers not so much. I hate illegal drugs, a lot of the killings using guns are done in the name of illegal drugs, and if it were legal those guys would have to sell crack instead of pot.

Yep, might as well close it, since the conversation has gone from a reasonably intelligent debate of facts, to just making stuff up. :s0077:

There is a big difference between OWNING or BUYING a potentially harmful object, and USING that object while under the influence of drugs.

Owning or using pot is illegal (federal).

Driving a car while drunk is illegal (state). (Even if done "safely")

Owning or buying a car as a habitual drunkard or pot-smoker is legal (state and fed). (Car ownership not tied to use of drugs)

Using a gun as a threat or hurting people with your gun is illegal (state). Using a car as a threat or hurting people with your car is illegal (state).

Using a gun while under the influence of drugs (even in a safe manner) -- I THINK is legal??? (I THINK it should be illegal, but owning a gun while on drugs should be legal.)

I don't see why there should be a link between buying a gun and using pot. They should be treated individually and separately by the law.

Owning or using pot is illegal (federal).

Driving a car while drunk is illegal (state).

Owning or buying a car as a habitual drunkard or pot-smoker is legal (state and fed).

Using a gun as a threat or hurting people with your gun is illegal (state).

I don't see why there should be a link between buying a gun and using pot. They should be treated individually and separately by the law.

Phewww! Pchewn!:s0155:

Took this long to get there? Good post.

Will

That's why all drugs should be legal. To live in a "free country" that tries to dictate what you and I can put in our bodies is a joke.

No illegal drugs=Vastly reduced black markets/black market related crime.

So should we let people self-prescribe potentially dangerous prescription drugs that addicts have no interest in? Requiring such drugs to be dispensed by doctors certainly dictates what we can put in our bodies and reduces our freedom, but I support it as a general principle.... if not for every single drug.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top