JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
First, I am no attorney, and I have never been involved with an initiative petition process, but I am tired of having to battle the Legislature (now every year) regarding new bills to take away the rights of citizens because they know what is better for me than I do.
Does anyone on this forum have any knowledge concerning the legal potential of having an initiative that would put into the Oregon Constitution that changes to Oregon weapons related statutes could be changed only by referendum or initiative?
If this could be accomplished, weapons related changes would effectively be taken away from the Legislature.
What would be a potential downside in placing that power in the hands of the average Oregon voter?
If that could be accomplished, then followup initiatives could remove county and city authority to regulate firearms.
There would be obvious legal challenges, from those in power, to the process taking place and the results, so it would take organization and money. I would work to gather signatures and contribute what money I could.
Is this doable?

A better thing to do would be to amend the Constitution to require a two thirds majority of both chambers of the Legislature to pass a bill changing any law that relates to firearms.

This would be constitutional, based on the current law requiring a three-fifths majority in order to increase taxes in Oregon.

The problem is that this would make it harder to loosen restrictions on rights to keep and bear arms.

In California the morons vote to increase their taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So many guns so few politicians! I don't know how the laws pass unless the majority of gun owners do nothing to fight $$$$$ to keep their rights.

Plus with blue state "immigrants" (most Californians... However, not all) coming to red and/or purple states (like Oregon) after they muck up their former blue "beds" would eventually sully it up again. I like the 2/3rds or 3/5 legislative requirement... however, the pinkos run the legislature ATM so that could also go VERY badly... Sigh.

Plus with blue state "immigrants" (most Californians... However, not all) coming to red and/or purple states (like Oregon) after they muck up their former blue "beds" would eventually sully it up again. I like the 2/3rds or 3/5 legislative requirement... however, the pinkos run the legislature ATM so that could also go VERY badly... Sigh.
Maybe a 2/3 or 3/5 requirement to pass any bill? It would help balance out having them meet every year and filter out some of their more cockamamie ideas.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top