JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
"I told my doctor facts are irrelevant. He said I still had to stay off my broken toe."

And you are free to disregard that fact as irrelevant if you wish. It's just that the immediate response gets your attention, making it hard too hard to ignore.
Our neighbor is a 59 yr old woman who has retired from the Big B. She has some serious health problems, has had part of a lung removed, and has COPD. That's a fact. She also continues to smoke cigarettes through the day. Breathing is necessary to life; smoking is not. Fact. Facts can be irrelevant if ignored.

Peripheral observation: Tobacco is more addictive than heroin. I knew a fellow who had been a junkie for 15 years at the time. He had experience with both and that was what he told me. I can attest to the addictive nature of oral tobacco, never tried smack.

THE ONLY FACTS THEY NEED TO KNOW, BUT THEY CAN'T GET IT THOUGH THEIR HEADS...

(I saw this on post in a forum)

I am a criminal.
I don't buy guns at stores.
I don't care about your stupid gun laws.
Background checks won't stop me.
Keep focusing on the good people.
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WANT!!!!

Pulled off Reddit, I'll share it on Firearms legislation thread as well.

"Gun Facts (with citations)

renderTimingPixel.png

The ACTUAL facts about gun violence in America

There are about 30,000 gun related deaths per year by firearms, this number is not disputed. (1)

U.S. population 328 million as of January 2018. (2)

Do the math: 0.00915% of the population dies from gun related actions each year.

Statistically speaking, this is insignificant. It's not even a rounding error.

What is not insignificant, however, is a breakdown of those 30,000 deaths:

• 22,938 (76%) are by suicide which can't be prevented by gun laws (3)

• 987 (3%) are by law enforcement, thus not relevant to Gun Control discussion. (4)

• 489 (2%) are accidental (5)

So no, "gun violence" isn't 30,000 annually, but rather 5,577... 0.0017% of the population.

Still too many? Let's look at location:

• 596 (10%) - St Louis, MO (6)

• 653 (11%) - Detroit, MI (6)

• 1,527 (27%) - Chicago, IL (6)
That's over 40% of all gun crime. In just 3 cities.

This leaves 2,801 for for everywhere else in America... about 56 deaths per state. Obviously some States have higher rates than others

Yes, 5,577 is absolutely horrific, but let's think for a minute...

But what about other deaths each year?

• 70,000+ die from a drug overdose (7)

• 49,000 people die per year from the flu (8)

• 37,000 people die per year in traffic fatalities (9)
Now it gets interesting:

• 250,000+ people die each year from preventable medical errors. (10)
You are safer in Chicago than when you are in a hospital!

• 610,000 people die per year from heart disease (11)
Even a 10% decrease in cardiac deaths would save about twice the number of lives annually of all gun-related deaths (including suicide, law enforcement, etc.).

A 10% reduction in medical errors would be 66% of the total gun deaths or 4 times the number of criminal homicides.

Simple, easily preventable, 10% reductions!

We don't have a gun problem... We have a political agenda and media sensationalism problem."
The problem is this...I have given these facts to my state rep and many other democratic reps....THEY DONT CARE. THEY WANT YOUR GUN NO MATTER WHAT. This is a culture war that will only be solved by a real war.

The problem is this...I have given these facts to my state rep and many other democratic reps....THEY DONT CARE. THEY WANT YOUR GUN NO MATTER WHAT.

Well, we can ignore it or we can confront it and share out voices. That's what I chose. I sent if off to my rep after he sent me this POS tirade below titled "Enough is Enough". I wanted him to know how I felt. Here is what I got:

"A reminder on this National Gun Violence Awareness Day that Americans suffer more gun violence than people in any other developed country. Gun violence in the United States is not inevitable, nor should we accept it as the status quo. This is a public health crisis that Democrats in the House are finally addressing.

Several years ago, I put out a comprehensive plan to end gun violence. It includes the following:

• Close the "private sale loophole" and implement comprehensive and uniform background checks for any gun purchases.

• Have law enforcement follow up with each person who fails the background check.

• Restrict assault weapons and high capacity magazines that are unsafe in any space.

• Remove barriers to research gun violence.

• Make sure that guns are tested and regulated like every other consumer product.

• Empower health care professionals to discuss all matters that affect their patients' health including gun ownership.

• Ensure better regulation of gun dealers and focus compliance on unscrupulous gun dealers.

• Enforce existing gun laws by not letting the gun lobby undermine enforcement agencies.

• Require that people purchasing a gun have liability insurance.

• Improve mental health services to help people with mental health issues.

You can read my report in its entirety here: Enough is Enough: A Comprehensive Plan to Improve Gun Safety"

Courage,"

I needed him to know several things, first, I didn't want to disarm my friends and neighbors so that President Trump had even more power, and that the next President may be a power hungry fiend would would take advantage of the situation. (the rep is a dem).

2nd) His "facts" were not facts and I don't agree with his conclusions. So I sent him some facts and will keep sending them. More people died of the flu last year in the US than gun violence. 45,000 for the flu.

3rd) I was done voting for him, and would be working against him over this single issue. In fact, I told him this very first thing so he'd remember it.

Last Edited:
Well, we can ignore it or we can confront it and share out voices. That's what I chose. I sent if off to my rep after he sent me this POS tirade below titled "Enough is Enough". I wanted him to know how I felt. Here is what I got:

"A reminder on this National Gun Violence Awareness Day that Americans suffer more gun violence than people in any other developed country. Gun violence in the United States is not inevitable, nor should we accept it as the status quo. This is a public health crisis that Democrats in the House are finally addressing.

Several years ago, I put out a comprehensive plan to end gun violence. It includes the following:

• Close the "private sale loophole" and implement comprehensive and uniform background checks for any gun purchases.

• Have law enforcement follow up with each person who fails the background check.

• Restrict assault weapons and high capacity magazines that are unsafe in any space.

• Remove barriers to research gun violence.

• Make sure that guns are tested and regulated like every other consumer product.

• Empower health care professionals to discuss all matters that affect their patients' health including gun ownership.

• Ensure better regulation of gun dealers and focus compliance on unscrupulous gun dealers.

• Enforce existing gun laws by not letting the gun lobby undermine enforcement agencies.

• Require that people purchasing a gun have liability insurance.

• Improve mental health services to help people with mental health issues.

You can read my report in its entirety here: Enough is Enough: A Comprehensive Plan to Improve Gun Safety"

Courage,"

I needed him to know several things, first, I didn't want to disarm my friends and neighbors so that President Trump had even more power, and that the next President may be a power hungry fiend would would take advantage of the situation. (the rep is a dem).

2nd) His "facts" were not facts and I don't agree with his conclusions. So I sent him some facts and will keep sending them. More people died of the flu last year in the US than gun violence. 45,000 for the flu.

3rd) I was done voting for him, and would be working against him over this single issue. In fact, I told him this very first thing so he'd remember it.
You missed my point....THEY DONT CARE. Talk will not change their mind.....either find people to get them out of office, or give in to tryanny...or the inevitable.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible....make violent revolution inevitable"
JOHN F KENNEDY

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top