JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
OR doesn't prohibit carrying in restaurants or bars.

...unless you are drinking. Please, prove me wrong!

But the article says "patrons who legally carry firearms openly into bars and restaurants can drink freely." I don't think that's something we can do in Oregon. Now, that I found interesting!

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack for what I'm about to say, but here goes anyway! I have no problem with someone carrying while in an establishment that serves alcohol, but I don't think a person carrying should be able to consume alcohol. The first thing I learned when taking a firearms safety course 50 years ago was, "Guns and alcohol don't mix!" That statement was valid 50 years ago and it is still valid today! :s0155:

...unless you are drinking. Please, prove me wrong!

But the article says "patrons who legally carry firearms openly into bars and restaurants can drink freely." I don't think that's something we can do in Oregon. Now, that I found interesting!

What's the ORS for this? I'm not familiar with it.

I know I'm going to catch a lot of flack about what I'm about to say, but here goes anyway! I have no problem with someone carrying while in an establishment that serves alcohol, but I don't think a person carrying should be able to consume alcohol. The first thing I learned when taking a firearms safety course 50 years ago was, "Guns and alcohol don't mix!" That statement was valid 50 years ago and it is still valid today! :s0155:

That's the law in WA anyway. You can't carry in a bar (even if not drinking), however, if it allows minors to eat there then it is legal to carry. Take McGrath's in Vancouver, they have the front entrance posted BUT it only applies to the restricted area of an establishment, which would be the bar area only. The restaurant area, even though they serve drinks there, is carry friendly because children are allowed.

Just like with driving, I also think drinking and CC do not mix, but in the context of being physically or mentally impaired by drinking. Since I don't want to ever be impaired to drive or CC, then I do not drink. That does not rule out occasional beer or cocktail with a meal.

It's been almost four years since I got my CHL. It seems the safety class instructor made such an impression on me that CC and drinking became law in my mind. I reviewed ORS166 since my original post and to my surprise found nothing on drinking and CC, confirming what's been said above. I am surprised OR does not have a statute on this area. Not that I think we need one. I am very much pro-choice on this particular topic.

When are we going to stop trying to control everyone? If I have a beer, I'm not .08 and I can drive. I have beer in the fridge and car keys in my pocket. I won't abuse that. Do we need a law saying I can't have care, custody or control of a six pack if I have car keys? Or maybe I can't have car keys if I buy a six pack?

People who have CHLs have been checked out a lot more than people who have drivers' licenses.

How about my rights against prior restraint? If I screw up I take the fall for it. In the meantime, I'd really like to be left with my freedoms.

Many of you know I just fought really hard and at great expense for more than a year to retrieve my liberty, meaning my CHL. I'm a bit sensitive about it right now.

When are we going to stop trying to control everyone? If I have a beer, I'm not .08 and I can drive. I have beer in the fridge and car keys in my pocket. I won't abuse that. Do we need a law saying I can't have care, custody or control of a six pack if I have car keys? Or maybe I can't have car keys if I buy a six pack?

People who have CHLs have been checked out a lot more than people who have drivers' licenses.

How about my rights against prior restraint? If I screw up I take the fall for it. In the meantime, I'd really like to be left with my freedoms.

Many of you know I just fought really hard and at great expense for more than a year to retrieve my liberty, meaning my
CHL. I'm a bit sensitive about it right now.

I agree 100%. There is a reason that the sheriff does a background check before your issued your chl. If you can't be responsible enough to have one then you should be carrying a firearm in the first place.

You have no idea how liberating this thread has been. I've been leaving my carry piece in the car every time I knew I was going to have a drink with my dinner. Felt naked. :p Not anymore. And I am glad I can choose not to.

I had ONE Mai-Tai during a family dinner at Red Lobster last night and wasn't impaired to drive or CC.... but then again I have a ONE drink limit on the RARE times I actually DO imbibe alchohol... and that one drink is not a "jumbo drink" either.

What almost DID impair my ability (to walk at least) was the bill that six kids and two adults can rack up!! :s0001: :s0112:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top