JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just moved to Portland and want to get more involved politically in terms of our Second Amendment rights. I'm looking for a gun club that offers me the opportunity to get more politically involved in politics first and provide a place to shoot second.

At one point I joined the NRA and GOA (and the CRPA when I was in Ca), tried asking them how I can get involved, the only answer I ever got was "donate money". Well, I want to do more. When I asked what could more could I do, I got no answer.

Im hoping to find a local place that I can do something other than give someone money to fight my battle.

Any help pointing me in the right direct will be appreciated. Thanks.

One thing you can do is educate and introduce shooting to others. Most gun clubs allow bringing guests, but there's not exactly a line of people trying to learn about guns at a gun club. The club would allow a safe place to educate though, once you find people to educate.

As for finding people you can educate, start with your local network, friends, co-workers, family. Maybe say, hey, I'm going to put a few rounds through this gun I just got, or haven't shot in a while, wanna come too? Go through safety first and foremost, and then let them have a good time.

The other thing you can do to be politically involved is let your representatives know you care about gun control laws. Be polite, recognize that they have a lot of constituents, many of whom are not 2A fans, and explain your reasoning and thank them for their service. Politics is about showing up, and letting them know you are there is important.

Good luck and I appreciate that you are looking to be involved! We all could use a bit more involvement!

If you or anyone else have other ideas, please share!

I don't think any "Gun Clubs/Ranges" do anything toward supporting 2nd Amendment Rights. I think they are just in it for the money.

One thing you can do is educate and introduce shooting to others. Most gun clubs allow bringing guests, but there's not exactly a line of people trying to learn about guns at a gun club. The club would allow a safe place to educate though, once you find people to educate.

As for finding people you can educate, start with your local network, friends, co-workers, family. Maybe say, hey, I'm going to put a few rounds through this gun I just got, or haven't shot in a while, wanna come too? Go through safety first and foremost, and then let them have a good time.

The other thing you can do to be politically involved is let your representatives know you care about gun control laws. Be polite, recognize that they have a lot of constituents, many of whom are not 2A fans, and explain your reasoning and thank them for their service. Politics is about showing up, and letting them know you are there is important.

Good luck and I appreciate that you are looking to be involved! We all could use a bit more involvement!

If you or anyone else have other ideas, please share!

I do all that already. I've converted a few people. Only a few, but everyone helps.

political or not, any recommendations for gun clubs?

I do all that already. I've converted a few people. Only a few, but everyone helps.

political or not, any recommendations for gun clubs?

Indoor, 10 lane, handgun, rimfire only rifle, somewhat limited to caliber and 50' distance only. I was a member for 10 years, and didn't renew last Dec. because of the Rona polices that were still being enforced. It wasn't worth the $175.00 a year fee for us. We did enjoy the place for the years we were there though.

Temporarily closed though.

There are other options on the west side I'm sure people will chime in with. I think they are all screwed up because of the "Rona" now though.

Indoor, 10 lane, handgun, rimfire only rifle, somewhat limited to caliber and 50' distance only. I was a member for 10 years, and didn't renew last Dec. because of the Rona polices that were still being enforced. It wasn't worth the $175.00 a year fee for us. We did enjoy the place for the years we were there though.

Temporarily closed though.

There are other options on the west side I'm sure people will chime in with. I think they are all screwed up because of the "Rona" now though.
They're open! (Johnson Creek)
Just by appointment. Ez to do now on their webpage.
Even with only 4 lanes open and half hour appointments it's really easier than before. For all the wrong reasons. :(

But it is 50 foot ONLY. And no supersonic/magnum ammo at all - so it does get old quick.
I like 22 target so it's kind of perfect for that.

They're open!
Even with only 4 lanes open and half hour appointments it's really easier than before. For all the wrong reasons. :(

But it is 50 foot ONLY. And no supersonic/magnum ammo at all - so it does get old quick.
I like 22 target so it's kind perfect for that.

Member for years . The appointment thing, AND, the 30 minute limit was the deal breaker. A lot of the times I/we went was a spur of the moment thing. It,s another pile of a business that tells adults they can't be trusted. Even after every other lane was closed. Probably mandated by the smug dicktater k8 and /or tod whalen. I feel bad for them and hope they don't fold, but it was still something I wasn't going to pay that much to not use it.

And no supersonic/magnum ammo at all - so it does get old quick.

I'll tell you what, no magnum ammo is the right thing to do! Poor guys down there plinking with their .22s and someone comes in next to you with a .40 or .45 and even with muffs and plugs it was pretty rough.

I'll tell you what, no magnum ammo is the right thing to do! Poor guys down there plinking with their .22s and someone comes in next to you with a .40 or .45 and even with muffs and plugs it was pretty rough.
Agreed.

Last year I let my membership lapse because they were closed. Got a grace period when they opened back up though.
Just got a renewal in the mail... Trying to psych myself into it I guess.
I'm really close and it's so damned handy. And honestly, aside from 2 times - I've had the place all to myself.
It's the ammo that kills ya. Cheaper to just chuck quarters down range.
That's why I'm pretty much just all .22 there now.

Tri County n Sherwood is a nice facility. I've been a member for about 10 years. They were running a pretty long waiting list in recent years for new member applications; I'm not sure of the current situation.

If you give an area where you are located, we could suggest ones near you.

There aren't many gun clubs relative to other places east of the Rockies as you can go shoot in the public forest here (something we can thank the government for! I feel like we rag on them all the time and they could use a kudos).

West side, there is Tri-county Gun Club (TCGC) in Sherwood as aasbra says, they are a large outdoor facility with action ranges, 600yd rifle, indoor pistol, some more. They charge a few hundred per year and as they are membership only, you need to apply for a waitlist. Weekends are very busy there I heard from a member. I am not one myself.

Threat Dynamics (TD) is also in Sherwood, 25yd indoor pistol & rifle range with training and 360deg projector room. They are open to the public and have memberships at different tiers as well. The range is modern and well appointed, with target holders you can set at specific ranges via number pad.

Up in Hillsboro I am only aware of Beaver Creek Armory, off Hwy 26 and Brookwood. They are a small indoor pistol caliber only range, max 11yds. Their facility is rather outdated - the target holders are motorized, that you operate with a switch, and there is no range readout so you don't know exactly how far away it is. The range line is well lit, but the target areas especially further back are not. I guess that can be a plus for CCW training in the marginal hours of the day! Their membership is cheaper than TCGC or TD, as you may expect, and they are open to the general public too.

Last Edited:
East side, I am really only aware of Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, near Estacada. They are an outdoor facility that has a 1000yd shoot once per week (as they close a bunch of ranges and change direction). They host a lot of competition like three-gun. TCGC hosts a lot of competition too, though they have a few more restrictions as they are smack in the middle of the suburbs and have housing developments nearby. DRRC is more away from suburbia. They require membership to enter, like TCGC.

Across the river in Vancouver, WA, is an outdoor shooting pit called The English Pit. It has pistol, 50yd rimfire, 50yd and 100yd centerfire ranges. It is a 20$ / day flat fee to shoot, open to public.

Last Edited:
Further southwest you will find Chehalem Valley Sportsman's Club, an outdoor range. They are membership-only club, but they have action ranges, and a rifle range with benches.

One other thing - for competitions held at the membership-only clubs, they often allow the general public to sign up. I have visited TCGC, CVSC, and DRRC in this manner.

Obviously, you have not been involved with the right clubs.
Best,
Gary

Well how's about you let us in one the secret there Gary? That English Pit do a lot of lobbying and fund raising? What ranges send people to Salem to testify? Anything? I'd be curious to know? I know when they passed the universal background check in OR that the gun shop were mostly, or completely silent. I don't think the Johnson Creek Gun Club had any information on the bulletin board back then.

They're open! (Johnson Creek)

I like 22 target so it's kind of perfect for that.
And you must wait 1 second between shots. That doesn't fit for me. Any range session I do I want to simulate possible real world conditions as much as I can to train muscle (and brain) memory. In a real world self defense situation you can't just slow fire.

But like u said slow fire .22 it fits for that.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads