JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I got an elephant hide belt from The Beltman 12 years ago. I wear it every day. I am certain it will last at least another 12. It was $180. Buy once, cry once. IMHO, this is a spectacular belt. Looks like a high end dress belt. I did get a stiffener.
Best,
Gary
I love the look of the elephant belt. Though the crying would likely be from me after my other half kicked me in the wobbly bits for spending that kind of money. Years ago, in my horse days, I would have loved to have a pair of elephant or bullhide boots though. Maybe someday ;)

Hey all, I am in the market for a new gun belt. I currently use a well worn Mitch Rosen and its lost the better portion of its rigidity. There are a lot of choices out there, but I have little experience outside of the belt I own at the moment. I'm considering one with a steel core, but am not sure if it's a good choice. I've looked at Bigfoot, Hanks, Crossbreed & Beltman. Anyone have experience with any of these brands? Especially interested in your opinion if you've tried a bullhide or a steel reinforced one.

Bigfoot. Dont' regret mine one bit. 18oz SS reinforced center... yup. I'd probably go with the 14oz if I get another one.

Why would you go with the 14oz over the 18oz? Too thick?
Some pants don't like the two layers on the first belt loop.

That's the ONLY reason. It can get a little tight to get that tail in there. Otherwise... not a problem.

Ares Aegis or Aegis Enhanced

Why it's awesome:
  • Super rigid. Rigid enough to support any EDC load your throw at it but also strong enough for a full range load out...multiple rifle mags, pistol mags, holster, IFAK, etc.
  • Looks good in any casual setting (assuming you go with black and the stainless buckle)
  • Easy to thread thorough belt loops unlike some belts with cobra buckles
  • Won't stretch like some leather belts can
  • Infinitely adjustable. No longer do you have to worry about the holes not being in the right place. Simple and easy to tighten or loosen throughout the day as needed. You'll never want to go back to belt holes again.
  • Doesn't scream "shoot me first" like some tactical belts can
  • Impervious to rain unlike some leather belts
  • Made in the good old USofA.

Why it might not be so awesome...
  • It's certainly not cheap. But you should easily get five years of daily wear out of it. And note that they've actually dropped the price some. I paid $120 for my Aegis Enhanced several years ago.
  • It might be too rigid. Some people find super rigid belts uncomfortable. I don't. YMMV
Custom (3 Week MAX Leadtime) : Ares Gear

Why would you go with the 14oz over the 18oz? Too thick?
I have no experience with the 18oz but I can say with my 14oz I wouldn't want to go any bigger/thicker unless I was carrying a Desert Eagle or some monster revolver. The 14oz is stiff as anything and thick enough its a tight fit in at least 1 holster loops is hard to slide on but stays put.

I can wear a gun on my pants belt, its' an inch and a half wide and single thickness of leather. It doesnt scream gun belt because you can't see it when I dress. I wear my t shirt out or a cover shirt when I wear a gun. One good thing I did was replace the two snaps that hold the buckle with screws and backing that fit a rifle sling. Belt screws never comes undone like snaps do plus if I lose a sling screw I have an extra. Bought the screws at bimart sporting goods section.

I have dress belts for when I'm unable to carry. I want super stiff as I hate pulling up my pants because the belt can't handle the extra weight. I could care less if it looks like a gun belt because I don't carry with a shirt tucked in. ;)

most all gun belts look no different than any casual or dress belt. Its only if you get the tactical or instructor belts do they start to look "gunny" and thats on you if your goal is CCW.

I bought one of those belts on eBay they call it the $30 gun belt well it's pretty thick and stiff but it will work you can buy three of them for the same price as one of the other ones

I have one of each of these from DaltechForce:

This one is their basic bull hide gun belts, not their thickest or stiffest. I like it probably the best of the three. It's a nice combination of thickness and pliability and does a very nice job with my M&P Shield in a OWB leather holster.
SMOOTH FULL-GRAIN LEATHER GUN BELT 12-14 oz

Next up, Called their "Ultimate Thickness" same as above but a little thicker and stiffer.
<broken link removed>

Same as the one above, also considered a "Ultimate Thickness". It uses four rivets instead of Chicago screws and you don't get a choice of buckles.
<broken link removed>

I don't have a fancy incognito belt, but for grab and go or range - Bianchi 1.75 inch ballistic weave belt. Quick on polymer buckle. All of my concealed holsters do not need a belt.

I have one from Beltman which is a very nice sturdy belt. Alas after 15 years it doesn't fit any more. 4 years ago I bought a Bigfoot steel lined belt. I wear it daily and it still looks and functions as well as when new. I would buy another IF the need arose.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top