JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking for a single action in 45 Colt :)

Fun, nostalgia, making metal gong, 260gr zombie stoppers, owning a gun that isn't made with plastic...

I will cast / handload - Barrel length 4.5 - 5.5" - Blued - I'm not opposed to used.

I won't be competing or shooting a 1,000s of rounds a year - I don't need the best, but I don't want junk.

I guess an easy choice would be the Blackhawk, and while it would be nice to have the ability to shoot 'Ruger only' loads, I don't know that I ever would exceed SAAMI for this cartridge (certainly I'd have to answer that before making a choice).

Other companies have offerings as little as $300 (Century Arms Pietta), in the $450 range (Taylors & CO, Cimarron), and up around the Blackhawk's price (Cimarron Evil Roy). It seems that some companies may be rebranding / tuning Uberti.

I realize a Cowboy Action forum would be a good source, but was curious if anyone here had input.

I had a Pietta and the gate would blow open while shooting. Had it fixed and it lasted another 500 rounds. Two friends have Ubertis and to my knowledge they haven't had any issues.
Ya get what ya pay for, personally I'd go Ruger if I had to do it again. There is a nice one on this site for sale!;)

The Ruger... And you can still get the Twin Cylinder 45ACP in the other cylinder....

But ... I Chose to go the longer barrel, mine is 7 1/2 inch, Much More Better!!!! :D

That extra Barrel length gives more powder burn time, and IMHO, feels more balanced than the shorter in same caliber, but YMMV.

Also, the Trigger Work to smith it out to Glass Smooth pull, is an easy project... I have done Rugers from the Single Six to the Super Blackhawk in 44 Magnum, the job is easy, and cuts your group size when finished!!!!

I have had my smithing "reviewed" by a former member of the Army Pistol Team, and he said it was a fine action!!! ( the first sale of a Hand Gun, and I still regret it, 37 years later....)

Go Ruger, you will not Regret it...

philip :cool:

I've always been a fan of the ruger "bisley" whether it be vaquero or blackhawk in a 4-5/8" barrel blued.

:s0155:

Initially I was drawn to the Vaquero, then ''compromised" with the Blackhawk solely for it's ability to handle substantially hotter loads - an ability I'm leaning towards not needing.

It's silly, but the idea of full-house loads intimidate me - I have no basis for this (I'm not recoil shy), other than being influenced by what I've read. Heck, other than a few rounds out of an ACP, I have no 45 experience.

Probably should go with my gut, stick with published loads, and get the Vaquero :)

From experience...Taylor & Co. Smoke Wagon. These guns start out as Uberti's and end up a fantastic shooter. Taylor works the action and lightens up the main spring. Slicks up the whole thing and does their own case hardening and bluing. You need to get the deluxe addition, but worth it. I'm not a great pistol shot, but clay's at 25 yards are a lead pipe cinch. Google is your friend and know there is no better six-gun made.

Good luck.

Get a Ruge Blackhawk or Vaquero. Best made out there for the price.
I have bought cheap ones that were OK and an Armi San Marcos that needed the cylinder bored out to get the shells in it.
You can usually pick these up at guns shows for under $500.Might be up a bit because the new ones are so expensive,but keep you eye open for them.People tend to buy them and not ever take them out.The semi autos get the love instead

I am officially very happy :)

vaquero_zpstwhhhrsp.jpg

You can get action springs for tht that make it handle as good as it looks.Can't remember the brand I put in mine.
if you are handy,go to youtube and Ruger has disassemble and assemble videos to put new spring in that thing

Wolf spring pack, there are a few weight choices.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/16...-blackhawk-single-six-super-blackhawk-vaquero

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/57...gle-six-super-blackhawk-vaquero-reduced-power

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads