JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
From my childhood, rich people grilled cheese.

1 slice white bread (not something like wonder, you need store brand)
1 slice Processed Cheese food (not Kraft ... )
Place on tray under broiler,
until just melty.

If you were poor you had to have 2 slices bread / ea slice cheese.
Rich = 1:1.

I remember someone salting these.
Butter, nope. Margarine, most likely no, but maybe.

From my childhood, rich people grilled cheese.

1 slice white bread (not something like wonder, you need store brand)
1 slice Processed Cheese food (not Kraft ... )
Place on tray under broiler,
until just melty.

If you were poor you had to have 2 slices bread / ea slice cheese.
Rich = 1:1.

I remember someone salting these.
Butter, nope. Margarine, most likely no, but maybe.

Why all the talk about "melted" cheese sandwiches.... I thought we was puttin em in a pan on the range/stove??? Sheesh... ;););)

something about the missing essentials, comparing the specs of "grilled cheese" vs "melted processed cheesy-tasting thing";

The implied imperfections of butter/bread/cheese/cast iron define what I've come to prefer and expect in 'grilled cheese'.

The effortless product of micro/velveeda/ isn't what I'm looking for in the 'grilled cheese conundrum'.

And I'm a little uneasy admitting being unsure what a 'baked broiler cheese' taste might be, perhaps I'll experiment some.

Why all the talk about "melted" cheese sandwiches.... I thought we was puttin em in a pan on the range/stove??? Sheesh... ;););)

Has someone talked about cooking on a grill - like a bbq / a hibachi ?

I know someone mentioned over an open flame - campfire

How about on a smoker? ... might have to try that ... did @Mikej say we should have good weather next week? ....

For grilled ham & cheese I use mayo and a bit of yellow mustard on the inside and butter on the outside. For a super delicious grilled ham & cheese, dip the entire sandwich in an egg wash (whipped egg and a little bit of cream), let it soak in as you would with French toast. Cut the crust off and cut the sandwich in half diagonally, coating all the edges in the egg wash so you can grill the edges as well. This process is similar to how you would make a Monte Cristo sandwich.

Has someone talked about cooking on a grill - like a bbq / a hibachi ?

I know someone mentioned over an open flame - campfire

How about on a smoker? ... might have to try that ... did @Mikej say we should have good weather next week? ....

I don't see why a grill wouldn't work... that would really be "grilled" cheese eh?

Smoked bread... hmmmmm, I don't know about that one....

Speaking of cooking, I'm happy to make an electronic copy of my cookbook available to anyone on this site. This way you can print it out, printing on both sides of the paper, and putting it in a three ring binder. Just email me if you want a copy.

cookbook cover.PNG

I agree. Synthetic cheese is nasty.
Go Tillamook or go home!

GC has one layer of Tillamook cheddar and one layer of pepper jack grilled on whole grain bread with real butter on the outside to brown it up nicely.

An additional treat we like is to upgrade to a grilled ABC sammich.
Apple, Bacon and Cheese !

Hmmm, Velveeta :s0170:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top