JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What do you fry your grilled cheese with

• Total voters
This thread is a welcomed distraction!

Thank you to all that have participated!

LOL

We used to buy fresh Yellowtail off the commercial fleet when we lived in Brookings...

Grew up in the Republik of Kalifornia and all I ever knew was that tuna came from cans. Got stationed in Depoe Bay (Coast Guard) in the 80's and one of my first search and rescue calls was the F/V Trial that broke down about 55 miles straight out. I spent 12 hours heading out, hooking him up and towing him back to DB. The seas were 8-12' directly off the beam so the 44' MLB (shaped like a football) spent most of its time on its side. Everyone was sick, it was cold and rainy, if you weren't holding on, you were on your arse....quite a miserable trip and I questioned what the heck I had got myself into by joining the CG. When I got the Trial back to port and tied it up, they came out and gave each of us a whole, fresh tuna. The first bite I took of a fresh tuna steak was amazing, and I couldn't wait for the next tuna boat to break down. I don't eat canned tuna anymore except on hunting trips....

OK, sorry to deviate from the topic....back to it now!

Grew up in the Republik of Kalifornia and all I ever knew was that tuna came from cans. Got stationed in Depoe Bay (Coast Guard) in the 80's and one of my first search and rescue calls was the F/V Trial that broke down about 55 miles straight out. I spent 12 hours heading out, hooking him up and towing him back to DB. The seas were 8-12' directly off the beam so the 44' MLB (shaped like a football) spent most of its time on its side. Everyone was sick, it was cold and rainy, if you weren't holding on, you were on your arse....quite a miserable trip and I questioned what the heck I had got myself into by joining the CG. When I got the Trial back to port and tied it up, they came out and gave each of us a whole, fresh tuna. The first bite I took of a fresh tuna steak was amazing, and I couldn't wait for the next tuna boat to break down. I don't eat canned tuna anymore except on hunting trips....

OK, sorry to deviate from the topic....back to it now!

You MLB guys are/were insane!!! I'd rather be up in the air...

But yes, the only canned tuna I can stand now is whole white, and even it is NOTHING like fresh!!!

How NOT to make a grilled cheese: (Sorry, Bobby Flay, love ya but you got this one too Yuppified...)

Ingredients
  • 16 slices center-cut bacon, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces
  • 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
  • 8 slices Pullman bread, sliced 1-inch thick
  • 8 to 12 ounces really good quality brie
  • 2 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • Watercress
  • 8 ounces soft goat cheese, cut into 8 slices (recommended: Boucheron goat cheese)
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
  1. Place the bacon in a large skillet or griddle and cook until golden brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate. Break each piece into fourths and set aside.
  2. Heat a cast iron griddle or cast iron pan over medium heat.
  3. Spread butter on 1 side of each slice of bread. Layer 4 of the slices of the bread with 3 to 4 slices of brie, 2 tomato slices, watercress, 2 slices goat cheese, and 4 slices of broken up bacon and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Place the remaining bread slices on top, butter side up and cook on the griddle until golden brown on both sides and the brie has melted.
From Grilled Cheese

OTOH, THIS from the same episode looks appealing: (only change I'd make is lose the avocado)
Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons balsamic mayonnaise
  • 1 (5-inch) round rosemary focaccia
  • 5 slices Monterey Jack cheese
  • 4 ounces oven-roasted turkey, sliced
  • 2 pieces applewood smoked bacon, cooked until crisp
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced into thin strips​
  • Directions
    1. Spread the balsamic mayonnaise on the inside of top and bottom of focaccia. Place with mayonnaise sides facing up on a flat top grill at 350 degrees F. Drape 2 slices of cheese over top and 2 slices over bottom of roll so as to cover the entire surface area. Place dome over focaccia to facilitate melting and even heat. While cheese is melting, place turkey on grill to warm. Place bacon in an "x" over the turkey. Cover with avocado and remaining cheese. Once cheese is melted all around (focaccia and turkey) assemble the grilled cheese and close. Place finished sandwich in a panini grill until roll is crisp and has added squishiness! EAT!!!

This whole thread reminds me of the Superbowl commercial where Alexa loses her voice......

Guy: Alexa, gimmee a recipe for a grilled cheese sandwich.
Gordon Ramsey: You're 32 years of age and you don't know how to cook a grilled cheese sandwich? ITS NAME IS THE RECIPE, YOU....*bleeeeep*.....

:s0140:

Two ways to do it. Everything else is heresy!

1: Butter, in the pan. If you want to fancy it up - toast both pieces on one side, then flip one, cheese it up, put the other toasted side in, flip when ready. Otherwise just cook one side of the bread and leave the cheese side soft.

2: Same as above, but using olive oil instead of butter.

Anything else is gross - mayo, miracle whip, lard...

Or do it how I grew up on - toast the bread in the toaster, cheese it up, and microwave until cheese is ooey gooey good.

...btw, this thread also made me hungry for a grilled cheese sandwich. One for me, one for my mother.
I use Tillamook medium cheddar (I get the baby loaf :s0155:) between two slices of Orowheat Whole Grains 100% Whole Wheat and I slather the outside only with I can't believe its not butter!....light.
Flat pan (not necessarily a griddle, but if I had my way, you'd bet it would be and cast iron, too!), heated up, sprayed with a little "spray oil", then lay out the sandwich and cover.
Wait until I just notice a little smoke, then flip it. Wait for same, pull it.
Perfection....mom sure enjoyed it. :s0166:

Dean

I spent considerable time a few years back, google-fu-ing 'the best' grilled cheese recipes from around the world. Tried a couple, despite having such as anchovy paste, prosciutto, capers, & a variety of embarrassing ingredients.

My conclusion: the more you move away from THE NAME of the dish via added complications, the less satisfying for the effort.

Moving on to the hallowed grounds (HARdeHAR) of COFFEE, my opinion is: there is no way to improve a proper cup of coffee, short of a good whiskey. Since I've had to give up my bad habits, straight black coffee is another point that seems to generate endless argument.

"Coffee" is neither a condiment nor a candy bar nor an excuse for some sugar & whipped cream dessert ladled out of a cup, masquerading as 'coffee'.
I like the old Arabic recipe that coffee is "hot as hell, black as night, sweet as love". Except the sweet part. And not too hot. And not with my grilled cheese thank you.

I spent considerable time a few years back, google-fu-ing 'the best' grilled cheese recipes from around the world. Tried a couple, despite having such as anchovy paste, prosciutto, capers, & a variety of embarrassing ingredients.

My conclusion: the more you move away from THE NAME of the dish via added complications, the less satisfying for the effort.

Moving on to the hallowed grounds (HARdeHAR) of COFFEE, my opinion is: there is no way to improve a proper cup of coffee, short of a good whiskey. Since I've had to give up my bad habits, straight black coffee is another point that seems to generate endless argument.

"Coffee" is neither a condiment nor a candy bar or an excuse for some sugar & whipped cream dessert ladled out of a cup, masquerading as 'coffee'.
I like the old Arabic recipe that coffee is "hot as hell, black as night, sweet as love". Except the sweet part. And not too hot. And not with my grilled cheese thank you.

If we're broadening our scope,

I had a grilled bacon sandwich on Great Value whole wheat bread with tomato and lettuce (and M. Whip, original... all things Lite are yucky, cept beer, I like Mich Ultra). Now that really hit the spot! Didn't even need to have soup with it to be good!!!

I was raised on, and continue the practice of, "toasted cheese"

Olive oil on bread in the broiler, remove, add cheese between the bread, bake for 5-10 minutes.

I have literally never made a traditional grilled cheese sandwich lol

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top