JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Time has come for Vman to get a new grill. I have had a Propane grill for 14 years and have been pretty happy with it, but curious if I should go another route (pellet or charcoal). I do not really need one for feeding the entire neighborhood, as we do not entertain much. Just a family of 5, plus grandma and grandpa every other weekend. What do y'all recommend?

Time has come for Vman to get a new grill. I have had a Propane grill for 14 years and have been pretty happy with it, but curious if I should go another route (pellet or charcoal). I do not really need one for feeding the entire neighborhood, as we do not entertain much. Just a family of 5, plus grandma and grandpa every other weekend. What do y'all recommend?
Going from "gasser" to pellets or charcoal is going to be a big change.
Usually folks running gassers want a hot and fast cook.....grilling.

You can grill with charcoal but it's a more involved set-up for just a quick cook.
I have a Weber 22.5 OTG and an 18.5 WSM
I use those for long cooks...5-6 hours for ribs, for example.
The WSM will run for 13+ hours on one loading.
Then I use a table-top Kenmore gasser for grilling (hot and fast)

A pellet grill is actually a modernized off-set stick burner.
They are a convection oven that can infuse smoke.
Very convenient and easy to use.
Best for long cooks although some will claim that they can get them hot enough to grill on.
(I would use a gasser for grilling)

So I would say that if you are used to a gasser, stick with that.
I would get the best Weber that I could afford in the size that makes sense.

You can grill with charcoal but it's a more involved set-up for just a quick cook.

Best for long cooks although some will claim that they can get them hot enough to grill on.

I agree with everthing said.

Fiddle de Dee Doo! Easy enough to grill on a Traegar! At least steaks, chops, fish, kabobs, etc!
For instance, on a 1.5" "T"Bone, at room temperature, run the grill up to high for 15min.
Throw on your steaks, after six min turn them (quickly) and finish for six more minutes!
Remove, tent with foil for five minutes, dig in!
This is Traegars own basic recipe. It will will give you a pink "smoke line" nearly 1/8" into the steak! :p YUMMM!!!
I own the Traeger, a top of the line Napoleon gas grill and a Weber charcoal grill that I prefer to use natural charcoal in over briquettes! Oh yeah, a charcoal Hibachi too! :D

Last summer I picked up a Weber Spirit three burner from Orchard. What a great grill! Small foot print, full size cooking area, even heat and solidly built. They cost a little more than a standard grill but I expect to get ten years out if this thing. Maybe more if I ever clean it. Maybe I'll take the pressure washer to it one of these days. I love propane. I have a separate fire table for charcoal.

Vaultman, I just want to advise you, if you are getting a gas grill, get one with an inferred back burner and the appropriate powered spit! It will, at least, double your grills abilities!
You can grill whole chickens, large cuts of meat and with a basket that clamps on the spit, any kind of chicken (etc) parts, pieces, vegetables, portobello's, just anything, to a golden crispness! The gear is cheap and easy to learn and use! :D Best of luck!

I have a really old Weber Genesis Sliver B - 3 burner, I really like it so much that I eventually replaced the flavor bars, and the grill surface (stainless steel upgrade) when they were worn out. Haven't had to replace the burners yet, it's still cooking evenly as far as I can tell.

If you can't replace parts, I'd really recommend Weber. The body is still in great shape, I keep it outside with a cover, and after cooking this weekend, it looks like I need a 3rd replacement cover before fall. I don't remember how long I've had it, but I'm sure I got it not too long after moving into this current house, and we've been here for 17 years.

62020001B_1800x1800330311.png Just got. Weber genesis 410.
And smoked the ribs and they were great.
A long slow cook and with it.

And if I want a quick cook no problem.
So im happy with it plus it will out last the others.

Updating my router so I can cook via Bluetooth.

Last Edited:
I have a really old Weber Genesis Sliver B - 3 burner, I really like it so much that I eventually replaced the flavor bars, and the grill surface (stainless steel upgrade) when they were worn out. Haven't had to replace the burners yet, it's still cooking evenly as far as I can tell.

If you can't replace parts, I'd really recommend Weber. The body is still in great shape, I keep it outside with a cover, and after cooking this weekend, it looks like I need a 3rd replacement cover before fall. I don't remember how long I've had it, but I'm sure I got it not too long after moving into this current house, and we've been here for 17 years.
This is why I would recommend a Weber ......product support (spare parts).
With that cheapo grill from the department store, you may not get that, although it will look nice in the weekly ad.
There is even a "grill flip" industry based on restored Webers because of parts availability.

If you've got a load of money you don't need then a Treager, Weber top o' the line gas grill and a Weber Kettle would all be needed to cover all bases. Me? I don't/didn't have a lot of $$. I'm using a 15 YO Ducane and a Brinkman kettle <broken link removed>

One thing's a must! You must have stainless steel grates! Regular steel and cast iron require too much fiddling to keep them from rusting out, IF you even can keep 'em from rusting away? I need to replace burners on my gas grill once about every 1 1/2 years and the diffusers every 2-2 1/2 years. The gas grill gives me a high heat to get burgers and steaks done, a rotisserie with infrared burner for roasts/whole chicken. The kettle allows me to slow cook and use smoke.

I recently bought a new gas grill. I could have bought anything. Pellet, charcoal, direct, smoker, etc.

I was into convenience. Gas was the only choice. If you've got nothing else to do, setting up a a smoker or direct charcoal may not be an inconvenience, but I do not normally have an hour or two to set up a dinner. It's a last minute decision to cook. Turn on the gas, click the lighter, and I'm cooking.

and...It took me a lot of shopping to find a grill that is 100% stainless steel. Grates, burners, deflectors, pan, grease trap...Everything! Many products are marketed as stainless, but once ya open the hood, you'll see components made of mild steel, guaranteeing the planned obsolescence of even very expensive grills. Most grill manufacturers do not want to sell a product that will last forever.

And I'll be the first to say that direct charcoal or smoked makes for better food, as long as someone else is doing all the work.

WAYNO.

Last Edited:

Not much seems to bring out more anger than this. ;)
My vote, pellet or gas. Have a fairly new stainless LP grill that has not been used in a couple years. Father in Law bought a Treager pellet grill and did not like it. He just wanted to grill some burgers now and then and it was too slow for him. Gave it to us. I fell in love. It is not as fast for something simple but the damn food tasted so much better. Even bacon. I did not think it was possible to improve bacon. After all bacon improves everything else. This damn thing makes bacon taste better. So for fast, gas. Just so damn simple, turn it one, clean, cook. I just can't tell the difference in charcoal and gas in taste. If you can take a little more time and like the smoke flavor pellet.

I recently bought a new gas grill. I could have bought anything. Pellet, charcoal, direct, smoker, etc.

I was into convenience. Gas was the only choice. If you've got nothing else to do, setting up a a smoker or direct charcoal may not be an inconvenience, but I do not normally have an hour or two to set up a dinner. It's a last minute decision to cook. Turn on the gas, click the lighter, and I'm cooking.

and...It took me a lot of shopping to find a grill that is 100% stainless steel. Grates, burners, deflectors, pan, grease trap...Everything! Many products are marketed as stainless, but once ya open the hood, you'll see components made of mild steel, guaranteeing the planned obsolescence of even very expensive grills. Most grill manufacturers do not want to sell a product that will last forever.

And I'll be the first to say that direct charcoal or smoked makes for better food, as long as someone else is doing all the work.

WAYNO.
:s0101:
Yep if someone else does the work it always tastes better. :s0114:

WAYNO.

I'd be curious to know what grill, and where you found it. I'm not in the market currently but I'm always lifting grill lids to see too few/too narrow burners for the grill space, or cast iron/steel grates.:eek:

The Ducane I've been running for about 15 years, I'd guess, was $700.00 +/- back then.

I'd be curious to know what grill, and where you found it. I'm not in the market currently but I'm always lifting grill lids to see too few/too narrow burners for the grill space, or cast iron/steel grates.:eek:

The Ducane I've been running for about 15 years, I'd guess, was $700.00 +/- back then.

Brand is Char-Broil. Bought it from WalMart for just under $300.

It was a couple years ago when I found an all-stainless BBQ. Wanted to buy it, but my wife kind've gave me "the look". Walked away and have looked for two years til I finally found another 100% stainless BBQ. Ironically, WalMart now has two all stainless BBQ's. The other one has infrared grates, and is slightly cheaper.

I feel webers are way over priced for getting a flame thrower.
Gas sucks.
Buy a higher end pellet that gets to 600 degrees. Tregaer wont do that by the way.
Check out sawtooth grills

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads