JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_0380.JPG
Alder from Wa BTW

Cowboy Bacon Beans

WU0502H_cowboy-bacon-beans-recipe_s4x3.jpg

Ingredients

4 cups dry pinto beans

1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces (8 oz)

2 whole green bell peppers, diced (red bell)

1 whole onion, diced

1 cup brown sugar (1/4 cup)

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons mustard

1 tablespoon chili powder, optional

2 teaspoons salt, more to taste

2 teaspoons black pepper, more to taste (1 TBSP)

4 cloves garlic, minced

(1 med size Jalapeno)

(1 tsp chipotle chili powder)

( ) indicates my mods

Directions

Rinse the beans under cold water, sorting out any rocks/particles. Set aside.

In a heavy pot (cast iron), saute the bacon pieces until halfway cooked and the fat is rendered. Add the green peppers and onions to the pot and cook until starting to get brown, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and then add the brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place on the lid and cook until the beans are tender and the liquid is thick 3 to 4 hours

Last Edited:
Cowboy Bacon Beans

View attachment 371285

Ingredients

4 cups dry pinto beans

1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces

1 whole onion, diced

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons mustard

4 cloves garlic, minced

(1 med size Jalapeno)

( ) indicates my mods

Directions

In a heavy pot (cast iron), saute the bacon pieces until halfway cooked and the fat is rendered. Add the green peppers and onions to the pot and cook until starting to get brown, about 3 minutes. Add the beans and cover with water by 1 inch. Bring to a boil, and then add the brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, chili powder, salt, pepper and garlic. Reduce the heat to a simmer, place on the lid and cook until the beans are tender and the liquid is thick 3 to 4 hours
Sounds awesome DD!
It would be hard to resist dropping in a couple of Tbsp of Worcestershire too.

Sounds awesome DD!
It would be hard to resist dropping in a couple of Tbsp of Worcestershire too.
Yep, do one at a time. Worcestershire can over-power the dish, but I do like the flavor.
2 Jalapenos can make it too hot and even 1 Jalapeno can be too much for some folks.

You can buy sweet BBQ beans all day long.
I like this bean dish because you can make it not so sweet, which is why I cut out most of the brown sugar.
Works for everyone, if someone wants more sweetness, just add a dollop of BBQ sauce to the serving.

Cowboy Bacon Beans

View attachment 371285

Ingredients

4 cups dry pinto beans

1 pound thick-cut bacon, cut into pieces

1 whole onion, diced

1/4 cup ketchup

2 tablespoons mustard

4 cloves garlic, minced

(1 med size Jalapeno)

( ) indicates my mods

Directions

My goodness! I guess it's about time for baked beans again! I have a similar recipe using a crock pot, small white beans and some salt pork. I put it together sometime in the morning up until noon and it's just fine by dinner time. They also get better after a day or two.

We have sage brush,quakies and pine here. If it ain't imported it ain't very good to cook on. I do use the Chinese elm and the lilac but I burn it down to coals first.

The wood you smoke with adds it own flavor to the meat. Especially with the fruit woods. I ship in guava wood from Hawaii as I like the flavor it infuses into the meat. It goes well with all types of meat, IMHO. I usually mix it with pecan wood for a little smokier taste. I pretty much avoid hickory or mesquite as it puts too much smoke into the meat. This can result in a bitter taste or you are tasting the smoke and not the flavor of the meat. I learned this the hard way, more than once. I like the smoke flavor, but don't want it to overpower the flavor of the meat. When I don't have guava wood, I turn to cherry.

Fruit wood is great for sure:cool:.

I'm not a mesquite fan but I do like hickory done right.

Depends on what I'm bbq'ing also. Little goes a long way on ribs, but it's hard to over smoke a good brisket.

I'll run smoke for no more than the first 3 hours.....usually more like 2+ hours
Ribs do not need much smoke at all.
Some folks can almost get sick from too much of the wrong kid of smoke.

I got sick on Alder-smoked smelt once. Epic blowout :eek:
Oddly enough, I like hickory on fish and pork ribs.
Hickory is my favorite.

Cherry is a good all-purpose.....apple as well.
Pecan or Mesquite I like for beef.

Western brand smokewood can be had at Walton's Market for reasonable cost.

Local hardwoods are as always, free.
Fruitwoods, alder and vine maple.

I'll run smoke for no more than the first 3 hours.....usually more like 2+ hours
Ribs do not need much smoke at all.
Some folks can almost get sick from too much of the wrong kid of smoke.

I got sick on Alder-smoked smelt once. Epic blowout :eek:
Oddly enough, I like hickory on fish and pork ribs.
Hickory is my favorite.

Cherry is a good all-purpose.....apple as well.
Pecan or Mesquite I like for beef.

Western brand smokewood can be had at Walton's Market for reasonable cost.

Local hardwoods are as always, free.
Fruitwoods, alder and vine maple.
I tell everyone I know if they or their friends need a fruit tree removed or have branches the pruned off I'll come get them.
And my hunting buddy called today to ask what I needed from Wa and I said more alder or fruit wood,lol
Can't order that from amazon,or can you?o_O

I tell everyone I know if they or their friends need a fruit tree removed or have branches the pruned off I'll come get them.
And my hunting buddy called today to ask what I needed from Wa and I said more alder or fruit wood,lol
Can't order that from amazon,or can you?o_O
Oregon Ash and/or oak for your open flame cooking.

I agree that hickory and mesquite are easy to overdo. I have a sister in Texas and get some sent up once in a while. Being from Oregon I'd rather use our wood anyway. I have a lot of maple and alder on the property and those have become my favorite smoker wood. I do tend to like a lot of smoke, a good 3+ hours of it (no more than 2 w/ribs). Alder is pretty mild, great for fish and birds. I use maple for ribs, butts and brisket. I do use fruit wood on occasion but not a steady diet of it as it isn't as plentiful for me. I also have a lot of ash but have never used it. I use pretty large pieces, a few inches or more across and maybe a foot to 16" long, like a normal fire.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top