JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Indeed, I grilled up some flank steak on Sunday over a grill full of lump...mmmmm :D

I threw some expanded metal on the charcoal grate in the weber and now all that is left after grilling looks like sand, no more wasted chunks :)

craycort-grill.jpg

I barbecue a lot. At least a couple times a week. Even in winter as I have a covered deck. I have a Weber Genesis and it works great for grilling. If I had to do charcoal every time, I would not grill as much as it is a lot more work. I also have a Weber Smoky Mountain for smoking, but that is not an every week thing.

"I barbecue a lot. At least a couple times a week. Even in winter as I have a covered deck...I have a Weber Genesis and it works great for grilling. If I had to do charcoal every time, I would not grill as much as it is a lot more work."

Me too. No covered deck.
I think it's one of those subtle differences hard to evaluate, as I don't see whatever it is being 'lot more work'.

Have the 'Performer'. Big pleasant upgrade from the old basic Weber kettle I got 25 years ago at a yard sale for $10. Looked totally unused. Still very good condition despite living out in the weather all those seasons.

Say what you want about gas grills,I love walking outside,clicking the switch and having fire. Yes there is a fire there I am cooking over. But to the right is a wood cook stove that I just got and to the left is my fire pit I cook over wood in. Then a little father is my smoke house (4X4x6).
In the pit I can cook with wood or charcoal. And it doesn't really take too much longer. You just get some good and dry stuff burning before you prep your food. Then 10-15 minutes and you have nice hot coals.
OK maybe 20 minutes
I'll tell ya at the cost of the webbers ,you can afford to buy 2 of the char broils. So I don't see the need to buy expensive grills
And I do like the idea of the smaller gas grill. I wish I would have thought of that. Just for me and maybe 1 other person ,a small camp grill would be plenty.
So get a grill and post up some pics. And if you search around you will find lots of grill/ BBQ threads.
And as you can see nobody cares if there is another started on here.;) Lots of proud dads:D

Got rid of my propane grill years ago. Charcoal or wood all the time now.

Like Mj mentioned, you just have to start the coals first, I use a chemney now after years of lighter fluid and it's both faster and tastes better.

I have an offset box grill/smoker and an Aussie I picked up at HD for maybe $30-40. Its basicly a square and portable Weber. Got it for camping and started using it when it's just the 3 of us because it takes less fuel to get the food cooked - I would highly recommend one if you want to try charcoal on the cheap, just remember grilling and BBQ is an art and there is a little learning curve.

Traeger 100%.

Traegers are cheating until I someday can afford one:p:D

^This^ is a grill. And a hot smoker. And a BBQ.
And once you know how to get everything it's capable of, out of it, you don't need anything else.
'Cept a little fuel, and that's true of all of them.

PS: And you don't have to plug it in. If I wanted an electric oven, I'd use the one in my kitchen.

All you need if you only eat 2 racks of ribs:p.

You need a mans grill if you want to cook for more then 2 people:D

Like Mj mentioned, you just have to start the coals first, I use a chemney now after years of lighter fluid and it's both faster and tastes better.
I was watching a YT vid that a grill/smoker manufacturer made,small company,until he started the charcoal with lighter fluid:eek:
I figured if he didn't mind using lighter fluid he really didn't know BBQ.

All you need if you only eat 2 racks of ribs:p.

You need a mans grill if you want to cook for more then 2 people:D
A "mans" grill? LOL
I've done 4 or 5 on mine a number of times Joe. But you need a rib rack, and you have to rotate them.

But I'm pretty sure real "men" don't mind eating alone.

A "mans" grill? LOL
I've done 4 or 5 on mine a number of times Joe. But you need a rib rack, and you have to rotate them.

But I'm pretty sure real "men" don't mind eating alone.

Oh, come on;).

I'm just yanking your chain.

I got a much larger one so I could do whole brisket for party's and still have room for other stuff.

Besides, isn't the old saying something like - it's not the size but how you use it :rolleyes:

I was watching a YT vid that a grill/smoker manufacturer made,small company,until he started the charcoal with lighter fluid:eek:
I figured if he didn't mind using lighter fluid he really didn't know BBQ.
I use the small chimney most of the time for starting the briquettes.
The big chimney is used for the WSM.

The best starting fluid I've found is cheap rubbing alcohol from Walmart.
Give the chimney a good squirt and light it off.
Then I'll hit it a second time No fuel odor.

I like charcoal and wood for grilling, gets nice and hot, doesn't have burners that break, and actually makes the food taste barbecued. But most of my day to day "barbecuing" is done sous vide and just finished on the grill, heck most of the time I'm just using a chunk of stainless steel expanded sheet on top of the chimney. I have been looking at getting some more stainless steel expanded sheet to make a grill for my fire pit so I can cook more burgers at a time.

Last Edited:
grate.jpg

22.5 inch Weber kettle grill, an additional charcoal grate placed perpendicular on top of the one that came with your grill so your real charcoal doesn't fall through as easily, and this cast iron cook grate from Craycort (made for either 18.5 or 22.5 inch Webers), good charcoal.

I don't use a chimney, I use fire starters (Super Cedar or SureStart) placed in the coals, lit with my Berzomatic, takes me all of 10-15 minutes until I'm cooking. I have found using a chimney sparks quite a lot and I BBQ on my front porch so fire is of concern. Off the porch, I'll use a chimney sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top