JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently bought a new gas grill. I could have bought anything. Pellet, charcoal, direct, smoker, etc.

I was into convenience. Gas was the only choice. If you've got nothing else to do, setting up a a smoker or direct charcoal may not be an inconvenience, but I do not normally have an hour or two to set up a dinner. It's a last minute decision to cook. Turn on the gas, click the lighter, and I'm cooking.

and...It took me a lot of shopping to find a grill that is 100% stainless steel. Grates, burners, deflectors, pan, grease trap...Everything! Many products are marketed as stainless, but once ya open the hood, you'll see components made of mild steel, guaranteeing the planned obsolescence of even very expensive grills. Most grill manufacturers do not want to sell a product that will last forever.

And I'll be the first to say that direct charcoal or smoked makes for better food, as long as someone else is doing all the work.

WAYNO.

LOL!!! Convenient is having all three grills! :D Just sayin'!

Heck with THIS dinners waiting.
LOL 20170611_184435.jpg

No offence to the powder puff gas crowd:D But propane isn't BBQ'N fellas. Sure, it's so easy a caveman could do it but you I and our taste buds can tell in the first bite. Ain't even close.
1) Grilling = hot 'n fast
BBQ = low 'n slow

2) Many folks don't have the time during the week for BBQ

3) There's always the weekend, but real BBQ takes patience and dedication

4) You need the right equipment and you need fire control

5) Chicken is probably the easiest to learn BBQ, with pork ribs being the 2nd easiest, IMO.
Hard to screw those up.
Beef brisket is the crown jewel.
I recently did a Costco Tri Tip (not pre-seasoned) brisket-style....about a 5 hour cook running a 225° grill temp.
Pulled at 196° internal meat temp.
Fork tender.

Tri Tip Brisket Style

1) Pat down with cooking oil for "glue".
Salt and pepper to taste (or Montreal or Weber Chicago)

2) Sear TT (optional and may help seal in moisture)

3) With smoker at 225° smoke for 2+ hours unwrapped to infuse smoke flavor
Mesquite or Pecan would be my top choices for beef smoke or use your favorite smokewood.
If TT has a fat cap, place the fat cap up

4) Wrap TT with heavy foil (I get the 18" twin pack at Costco)

5) Continue cook until internal reaches 195°-200°

6) Pull TT, leaving foil in place, wrap with towel and place in empty cooler

7) Rest for 1/2 hour

8) Enjoy

Last Edited:
No offence to the powder puff gas crowd:D But propane isn't BBQ'N fellas. Sure, it's so easy a caveman could do it but you I and our taste buds can tell in the first bite. Ain't even close.

"Powder puff"??!! And, you really went and did it now! Dogging on a @Caveman Jim!

Got to say though, my hat's off to the people that deal with all the time and preparation it takes to do proper B-B-Q. i just fire up the kettle once in a while to do ribs or chicken with some smoldering fruit wood in with the charcoal. Comes out fine for the wife and I, and sometimes a friend or four. Sure beats paying what they want at B-B-Q joints for a fraction of the cost.

"Powder puff"??!! And, you really went and did it now! Dogging on a @Caveman Jim!

Got to say though, my hat's off to the people that deal with all the time and preparation it takes to do proper B-B-Q. i just fire up the kettle once in a while to do ribs or chicken with some smoldering fruit wood in with the charcoal. Comes out fine for the wife and I, and sometimes a friend or four. Sure beats paying what they want at B-B-Q joints for a fraction of the cost.

Wait, what??? Someone be doggin me???
Life ain't so easy that people need to be comparin to a caveman...:eek::eek::eek::p

gotta admit have yet to produce a decent brisket.....although the last project turned out to be almost edible...er, enjoyably edible.....

working a bit on the 'reverse sear' theory....seems to be promising technique

BBQ Chicken

These are fun to do and very easy.
The smell of the cook somehow reminds me of the food carts at a ballpark.
I run about 275° + grill temp and cook until 165° internal.

Again, rub on some Saffola oil (or similar) for the "glue" and shake on your favorite seasoning.
I like Montreal Chicken.

Brush with melted butter/margarine or Saffola every 30-45 minutes to keep moist.
I like the new style silicone bristle brushes for BBQ....easy to clean.
Pull at 165°+ internal meat temp.

20160704_163008.jpg
You can see the two Maverick probes in the pic.
Makes fire control easy.

Last Edited:
SRJ got some splainin to do.... (foot tapping rapidly)....:s0012::s0108:

Soooo, the part about the caveman? Is that what you and old mike are um, accusing me of disparidging you over? I did happen to notice the first mime you used was well,, a club swinging one!
For crying out loud, please don't tell me you grill with gas too?
You'll blow my caveman theory right the hell out of the water:rolleyes:

Soooo, the part about the caveman? Is that what you and old mike are um, accusing me of disparidging you over? I did happen to notice the first mime you used was well,, a club swinging one!
For crying out loud, please don't tell me you grill with gas too?
You'll blow my caveman theory right the hell out of the water:rolleyes:

It's all good SRJ, i received a SS grill larger than a Hummer. I plead the 5th....:eek::eek::eek::p
Up untill then I was a fire cookin caveman.o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads