JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I agree that training is a must for CCW, I will also say that so far in my experience(chl class and one handgun training course), use of deadly force was literally a no-mans-land. No one wants to cover it and you are left to your own interpretation. Even the OFF book I ordered did not cover use of deadly force much. Kinda hard to be educated on a topic that no one is willing to teach.

Here is your training - don't shoot ! Any other outcome is going to be a huge pain in the rump for all involved . If you honestly feel your life or the life of a loved one is being threatened , then fire away... just be ready to defend your actions with your freedom later .

On the news today he was saying the car was heading for his cousin.....Right sounds like after thought of defense.

This guy maybe thought he was doing the right thing, but in that situation you shouldn't have even drawn a weapon.

Rule #1 of CWP......Don't be stupid.
I don't even think the robbers had a gun, did they?

This was just a stupid act by a CWP holder. Not thinking. I'm sure we can all get into a situation when your adrenaline is pumping and you may think your doing the right thing, but taking an extra second to think/access the situation you could very well save a life, or at very least not lose your right to carry a weapon.
The most important duty to CWP holders is to preserve the right to carry.

Wanting to act I understand. Should he have, NO. There was no threat to anyone at that point. Follow them and get their info. Even call police and report the location if you feel that strongly about helping. But to blindly fire at a vehicle driving away from you towards a city bus stop is just plain stupid!

This is the kind of stuff that ruins the right to carry for everyone. It takes a couple of rotten apples to spoil the whole bunch.

God Bless America!

I agree with more required training to obtain a CHL. Even with common sense, the laws on use of deadly force are not taught enough in many of the required classes. When I moved to Oregon from Hawaii, I took a three hour class that touched very little on this very very important part of carrying a deadly weapon. I learned more on the forums reading posts on this subject and read the law for myself.

I am willing to bet that the guy involved in this shooting sure wishes he had more training in this area.

DO NOT PULL YOUR GUN UNLESS YOU FEEL YOUR LIFE OR THE LIFE OF SOMEONE ELSE IS IN DANGER! I think four hours is plenty of time to pick that one up.

Apparently not. This guy had that same training. Maybe he was in the can when that was covered? Sorry people, I agree that American's have the right to keep and bear arms, but sometimes I think a little training is a good thing. I'm not sure I want to go as far as to say people should need a license to own a gun, but I hate it when undertrained idiots make the rest of us look bad.

Really, it seems to me that when the media finds someone to look at to make us all look bad, they find someone like this. And they always seem to be undertrained. Training doesn't necessarily make you perfect, but it seems like a good idea. People who complain about the cost of training should think about this. Do you go buy a car before you know how to drive? And do you start with a Porsche? No, start with a Ford Tempo and take drivers-ed. Or buy a used Glock or Ruger and get some training. The CCW class is as useless as the driver's license test. You barely scratch the surface, however, you're responsible to know all the laws...

I still say:

NO TRAINING - LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME.

There are very good arguments out there that even the most trained people can freeze when that dreadful moment in time comes, but I think that the facts would show that they are better prepared than those that haven't trained.

Quality of training is far more important than quantity - I know a few gun idiots that think they know something because they have several certificates on their wall PROVING IT.

Standing in front of a target and shooting at it all day using your quick draw skills is not self defense training.

I am absolutely a big freedom - small government guy. But a 4 hour proficiency course is not enough. A practical shooting/self defense course/test should also be required.

I don't buy the too expensive argument. If someone makes carrying a CCW part of their daily life, they will make it a financial priority.

On the other hand I have paid anywhere from 200.00 to 1000.00 for one-day courses - some more advanced than others, that I felt that I should have paid far less.

I think that if the law was a proficiency/skills test, rather than just a course - there would be plenty of affordable training made available that wouldn't infringe on anyone's right to carry.

Several courses that I have taken do cover deadly force and also cover common sense rules - ironically they were the same courses!

GUNS ARE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS . . . . . NOT BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY ARE . . . . .BUT BECAUSE OF WHAT THEY DO . . . .ESPECIALLY IN THE HANDS OF PEOPLE WHO "THINK" THEY KNOW HOW TO USE THEM. . .

Like I said in my earlier post AT MINIMUM: EVERYDAY contemplate what you will do if your life or others are in danger. That daily thought process will feed common sense, and will always win out over the Rambo syndrome!

Apparently not. This guy had that same training. Maybe he was in the can when that was covered? Sorry people, I agree that American's have the right to keep and bear arms, but sometimes I think a little training is a good thing. I'm not sure I want to go as far as to say people should need a license to own a gun, but I hate it when undertrained idiots make the rest of us look bad.

Really, it seems to me that when the media finds someone to look at to make us all look bad, they find someone like this. And they always seem to be undertrained. Training doesn't necessarily make you perfect, but it seems like a good idea. People who complain about the cost of training should think about this. ..

How do we really know what the quality of training that he received was ?

Granted, no amount of training is going to instill someone with common sense, as in the case of the moron in-question. That being said, what quality control standards do we have to insure that an instructor is really qualified ?
Was this guy's instructor subjected to a review of his classes, on a periodic basis ? Do we know if they met any sort of set standards for content ? .......No.

This may be leading us down a slippery slope here, but, as we all know, the higher the quality of instruction means a higher price tag. And where does it stop ? Should we require re-training on a regular basis for permit holders ?

What about open carry ? We have no training requirements in-place for that. ( I've often thought that we should at least have something required for these guys comparable to the CHL training, that includes weapons retention )

" Be careful what you wish for"​

For those of us with a CHL, lets chalk this one up to a lesson learned. Please take the proper class/course and and remember what you were taught. This was a bad judgment call on his part. I'm sure he meant well, but still not thought out properly.

I am opposed to any additional mandatory government training.

I bet anyone involved in the training industry would probably enjoy all the additional training fee revenue. (joking)

This man's actions were about a lack of common sense and poor judgment. Some people could sit through "mandatory" government training and even testing and still continue to exercise poor judgment. Why should my time, money, and freedom be co-opted by the actions of idiots who make poor decisions?

That being said, I believe training is very beneficial and should be highly recommended, but not mandated and imposed on everyone in order to exercise your God given rights to self-defense. For that matter, it is an unnecessary restriction on our freedom to be required to have a CHL to carry a weapon. Why should I have to apply to the government to ask permission to carry a weapon? The bad guys don't.

I am also fed up with the government mandating licensing, training, and the associated fees for everything. A few years ago they mandated boater training which I did. Then they mandated OHV training for anyone who wants to ride on public lands. I like voluntary training, I just don't like the government mandating training and of course government fees for everything. Our society is overregulated as it is.

More "mandatory" training will not be enough to save us from the idiots, or to save the idiots from themselves.

The fact that he was running his mouth off on TV and digging himself into a deeper hole was just more proof that he's a moronic oxygen-waster.

The fact that he was running his mouth off on TV and digging himself into a deeper hole was just more proof that he's a moronic oxygen-waster.

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the guy on TV. He has already incriminated himself. The first thing you do if you find yourself in legal trouble is shutup and get an attorney. Instead he's blabbing his mouth on TV.

1. That was a DeedDee move on the guy that opened fire.
2. I would like to thank the DeedDee for making the rest of us CHL/CCW holders look bad.
3. DeedDee should have kept his mouth shut.... no good will ever come from talking to cops. (youtube DON'T TALK TO POLICE and see what I mean).

I always see WACKENHUT armed security at AT&T stores..... I always wondered why they need armed guards hahahaha well this is why probably. If there was an armed guard at the store there would be no theft (probably). Now the good thing is that this guy was lucky some sheepdog wasn't out there. I tell you what, I see a dude coming out of a store shooting at two guys running....... You know my gun would be pointing at the gunman. If I was in the store and the theft took place right in front of me, at the very most my hand be on my glock and maybe pulled out but not pointing at anyone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top