JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The problem is some people will never get it. Lets not punish all for the ignorance of one.

Peoples right to self defense should not depend on their ability to pay for a class.

We're already being punished for his ignorance. We now all look like trigger happy morons.

It's one thing to express an aspiration (and who's going to disagree that people should be well-trained in firearms before they possess them?), but are you advocating greater government regulation of gun ownership and use? What does, "No one likes mandatory training but...." mean?
Today 12:55 PM

Honestly, I don't know how to approach this. The libertarian in me says that we have enough regulation already. We already have to pay a fee in Oregon to exercise our right to carry a gun for defense. But on the other hand, ignorance and lack of training affects us all. An untrained person with a firearm is a real threat. Besides the possibility of unjustly shooting someone, they also mis-represent the rest of us as trigger happy idiots.

I guess the only real answer I can think of is that we start setting examples. We get ourselves trained and we make it our mission to not only tell all the new shooter we introduce to get trained, but all the people we know who have neglected getting training. I'm not sure how I would react to mandated training until faced with the decision. I will say that when I lived in Colorado, the testing for a CHL was more intensive than it is in Oregon (including shooting competency) and was still a joke.

Things like this make all legal gun owners look bad. Whether you chose to carry or just own a gun and it sites at home in a safe, each time time this happens it just adds more fuel to the right wing people in congress. I think that his heart was in the right place, but his mind was not. I would love nothing more than have some one knock off a few of the dirt bags out there, before they decided that home invasion was there next crime of choice. But this was not and i stress not the time or place for that. Know your back drop, because you own that bullet no matter where or who it hits.....i am very disappointed his his choices of action.

Unfortunately if you are at a point in life where you need "common sense training", I'm afraid the battle is already lost. :s0114:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed, except by requiring that stupid people take 40 hours of training."

You can't fix stupid or bad judgment with 500 hours of training.

As a former Army Infantry Drill Sergeant I have seen THOUSANDS of troopers go through the same training regime. The individual results are as varied as grains of sand on the beach... most "get it right", some "catch on enough", and a few are what we used to call "bricks"... meaning, "dumb as". NO AMOUNT of training can fix that, and having watched/heard this putz talk on the TV and radio, I can tell by his speech patterns alone that he's in the "brick" catagory. :rolleyes:

I recognized this guy when i saw the news.... This guy is an amazing airbrush artist, he comes to my sons school every year at carnival night and does the face painting on all the kids....or at least he USED to be, i could see how the school would tell him not to bother next time.

So heres a couple of questions we should ponder and debate.....

(1) Should he be charged with a crime for negligently discharging his firearm?

(2) If convicted, should he go to jail?

(3) Should his carry permit be permanently revoked?

(4) Should he ever be allowed to own a gun again?

One man's opinion

1. Yes! FYI - HE WAS CHARGES WITH SEVERAL CRIMES. Chances are w/ a guy with no record, he will end up with a plea of guilty for reckless endangerment and they'll drop the other charges.

2. If reckless endangerment is the only charge that sticks he will not serve any time. The man in southern Oregon who killed an "intruder" sleeping on his couch got less than 2 years if memory serves.

3. He has shown that he is the type of person that while meaning to do the right thing, may not possess the common sense needed to carry a CCW. My bet is that it will be revoked and will not be able to get it back.

4. Gun ownership, does not rise to the same level of accountability as carrying a CCW. obviously if he becomes a felon - there will be no guns in his home legally.

If he has a good lawyer, it will all be plea bargained to a misdemeanor charge of reckless endangerment (one of the charges filed against him). This crime is generally punishable by up to a year in jail, but its doubtful he would get any jail time, assuming a first offense. If this is the case, it's oddly enough not call to revoke his carry permit. Oregon is a shall issue state, and since he still will meet the criteria, he would still have it. Same thing with owning a gun. If it's simply reckless endangerment, then he will still be allowed to own a gun.

Definitly

Not necessarily. Conviction will be punishment enough.

It most likely will be. It should be !

I would give him that for home Protection and Hunting if he does, but he has made CHL holders look bad and i do
not feel he deserves that privledge any longer.

All that being said too bad he didn't hit the x ring. 2 less perps on the street, but even though that might be a good thing to many, his reckless disregard for citizens was wrong in no uncertain terms. At the point he fired no one's life was in jeopardy at that moment and I believe that will weigh very heavily on him and his stupidity.

(1) Yes

(2) No, but if he would have hit a bystander I would say different.

(3) Yes, he has proven it's too much responsibility for him.

(4) No, I originally typed "yes" and then tried to justify it with a comment and couldn't. So you pull his CHL but what's next? Road rage with the AK? I just don't think this guy has the mental capacity to own a firearm. Gun rights or not I don't feel everyone is entitled.

(4) No, I originally typed "yes" and then tried to justify it with a comment and couldn't.

I disagree, people lose their RTBA much too easily as it is. Billy ("Slimy liar", "It wasn't sex!" with a 20 year old kid) Klinton) made it so arguing with your wife and getting a visit from the police can lose you your RTBA.

I disagree, people lose their RTBA much too easily as it is. Billy ("Slimy liar", "It wasn't sex!" with a 20 year old kid) Klinton) made it so arguing with your wife and getting a visit from the police can lose you your RTBA.
While I will agree with you on the domestic violence B.S. my argument would be this guy was letting rounds fly on a City street with no regard for others over a couple of cell phones. I guess I am just wondering were you draw the line?

I also agree Clinton was a liar but Monica Lewinsky was by no means a "Kid". She knew exactly what she was doing and got her 15 minutes of fame.

While I will agree with you on the domestic violence B.S. my argument would be this guy was letting rounds fly on a City street with no regard for others over a couple of cell phones. I guess I am just wondering were you draw the line?

I also agree Clinton was a liar but Monica Lewinsky was by no means a "Kid". She knew exactly what she was doing and got her 15 minutes of fame.

Just to keep this gun related, Clinton's "weapon" was a cigar. :D:

I think he should serve at least a small amount of jail time.

I definately think his permit needs to be yanked.

If he wants that permit back, I think he should earn it by spending a year doing community service every weekend. And by that I mean a whole year of weekends, 10 hours a day, wearing an orange "INMATE" jumpsuit and picking up trash along the highway in the pouring rain and summer heat.

If his permit is that important to him, then a year of such misery and lost weekends will give him plenty of time to reflect upon the complete stupidity of his actions.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top