JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm surprised that this is the first post on this. KGW just reported that Gresham PD is holding a man in custody for firing off his legally concealed hand gun at a couple of bad guys who robbed an AT&T Wireless Store.

Unfortunately they spun a slightly negative story - and rightfully so!

I don't want to cast a negative judgment on this man - but this was a great argument for those that drill the Training - Training - Training, and more training message.

The man sees a robbery in progress and is compelled to act - GOOD THING

He fires at them as they are driving away in their getaway car - in direct path of a bus stop - VERY VERY VERY BAD THING ! ! ! ! ! ! !

I feel for this man . . . . . but this was a STUPID judgment call and reflects on all of us! . . . whether you are a CCer or OCer or both.

IT IS NOT ENOUGH TO JUST GO BUY A NEW PISTOL, TAKE A COMPETENCY COURSE, GET FINGER PRINTED, THEN WAIT FOR YOUR NEW CHL CARD TO COME IN THE MAIL.

IT IS NOT ENOUGH! ! ! ! ! REAL CQB/SELF-DEFENSE TRAINING IS A MUST!!

AT THE MINIMUM . . . . KNOW THE LAWS IN YOUR TOWN.
AT THE MINIMUM . . . . TAKE TIME OUT OF YOUR DAY, EVERY DAY, TO CONTEMPLATE HOW YOU WILL DEAL WITH PERSON-ON-PERSON CRIMES AND SELF-DEFENSE.

IF NOT - LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME.

I open carry and conceal carry in Portland every day. I don't obsess over it, but I do think of the ramifications of my decisions every day.

We all should pray for this guy, get him out of jail, then beat him! Bad move dude . . .very bad move.

This should be a good lesson for the rest of us.

Packing heat is awesome! blowing off at the wrong time . . .not a good thing.:(

<broken link removed>

Sgt. Wilson said the gunman, Roger Witter, 48--who has a concealed weapons permit--reported hitting one of the tires, but it's unknown whether the car was hit. No one was injured in the shooting, even though the shots were fired in the direction of a TriMet bus stop. Police arrested Witter and transported him to the Multnomah Co. Jail, where he was booked on suspicion of several charges, including unlawful use of a weapon and reckless endangerment. The jail said he will be released overnight on his own recognizance.

"By Witter's own admission, he never felt that his life or anyone else's life was in danger," Sgt. Wilson said. "He was just trying to detain the suspects for police.""It is important to remember that no matter how frustrated one may be with crime and the criminal justice system, it is not permissible to use deadly force in this type of situation," Sgt. Wilson added. "Those two rounds could've gone anywhere... in fact, we're still not sure where they went."

Wow, bad form indeed. I believe the charges are justified. Urban streets are a very difficult area to safely shoot a firearm without endangering people. Just because you have a gun doesn't mean you should play movie cop and shoot at some bad guys. He's lucky he didn't hit anyone including the robbers. What happened to trying to get a license number on the car?

He's lucky he didn't hit anyone including the robbers. What happened to trying to get a license number on the car?[/QUOTE]

I get what you're saying here . . . but I'd rather hear that he shot them dead center-mass as they ran toward him. I am an old-school guy when it comes to this type of thing - crime won't slow down or stop until a few of these guys get whacked trying to rob somebody for a few bucks!

I have no sympathy for bad guys in this scenario. However, justice certainly would have been served better in this case if he would have kept his pistol in his pants and pulled out his pen or his cell phone.

This just gets dumber and dumber the more I read over this report . . . wow:huh:

Damn dude..

I had a dream last night that I was in a shootout. Not my idea of a good nights sleep. Though I have to say in my dream I only fired 3 rounds, all accounted for and with good reason.

but c'mon, firing at a vehicle while they were driving away? Nope, nope... Where is the "J" portion?

He's lucky he didn't hit anyone including the robbers. What happened to trying to get a license number on the car?

I get what you're saying here . . . but I'd rather hear that he shot them dead center-mass as they ran toward him. I am an old-school guy when it comes to this type of thing - crime won't slow down or stop until a few of these guys get whacked trying to rob somebody for a few bucks!

I have no sympathy for bad guys in this scenario. However, justice certainly would have been served better in this case if he would have kept his pistol in his pants and pulled out his pen or his cell phone.

This just gets dumber and dumber the more I read over this report . . . wow:huh:

The fact he admits he didn't feel anyone was threatened seems to make it a solid case for unlawful use of a weapon, a felony.

I believe his intentions were good but the outcome may be very bad.

Last Edited:
I understand the feeling of wanting to step in and help. I don't question his motivation but this is not good. As someone else brought up, get the licence plate and try to get a description to give to LEOs. There is no way he could have accounted for what was beyond his target. Even if he hit the car every time he still could have hit the gas tank or one of the robbers. I'm all for a few less criminals in the world but I'm not willing to go to prison over some stupid cell phones. Just my 2 cents.

I'm actually kind of PO'd at this guy. Every media outlet and anti legislator will use this to try to tar ALL CHL holders with the same brush. I wonder now long it will take Ginny Burdick to open her yap about this. Over two I-Phones? Please!!!

I'm actually kind of PO'd at this guy. Every media outlet and anti legislator will use this to try to tar ALL CHL holders with the same brush. I wonder now long it will take Ginny Burdick to open her yap about this. Over two I-Phones? Please!!!

You beat me to the draw Cougfan2. I was thinking pretty much the same thing.

Trying to shoot out the tires of the getaway in an urban setting to stop the bad guys from stealing a couple cell phones :( What a Tool! This really helps out those of us that have been issued a CHL and a Brain. :s0054:

You get a CHL to protect yourself and family, and to intervene if another is facing danger. You are not a LEO, it wasn't his job to shoot after fleeing robbers and possibly injure others.
Even if he witnesses a theft taking place before him, he was in no danger, nor was anybody else, the guys a moron who gives CHL a bad name.

His intention to help apprehend 'bad guys' is a good motive. His decision to play Dirty Harry with retreating robbers on a public street without his (or anyone else's) life being in danger was the very bad decision. I thought this would be obvious, I guess not.

Keith

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top