Grandpa's Ruger Standard.22 Pistol.

IMG_0520.JPG So a few weeks ago my dad dug out a couple of my grandpa's guns and we kind of cleaned up a few and even took a couple out to shoot.

There was this Ruger Standard.22 and it was in pretty bad shape. It was holster worn real bad and had some pretty significant rust.

I convinced my dad to let me try and bring it back, mostly because it was rough enough I don't think he cared.

So I stripped, sanded polished and re blued the thing. First time I have ever attempted anything close to a full overall.

I had this idea of my grandfather packing this thing around on his many fishing or rock hunting trips and just figured I wanted it to be better than new.

So I got it all done and I was doing some reading on the Ruger Standard. All this time working on it I assumed this was a old example, mostly because it was so rough. I figured my Grandfather bought this thing in the 50's and he had a long history with it.

Imagine my disappointment when I check the serial number against the list and find out it was manufactured in 1981. :rolleyes:

In any case I am happy with how it turned out. I feel a lot more confident about firearm refinishing and with this experience am sure I will tackle a few others that need it.

jbett98

Reactions
I've got two standards, and both are mint in box.
One of them is the special end of run production "1 of 5000" signed edition stainless steel model in the salt cod box, and the other is a 50 years in business commemorative.
I can't justify shooting them, so I just admire the craftsmanship and put them back on the gun safes shelf.

I've got two standards, and both are mint in box.
One of them is the special end of run production "1 of 5000" signed edition stainless steel model in the salt cod box, and the other is a 50 years in business commemorative.
I can't justify shooting them, so I just admire the craftsmanship and put them back on the gun safes shelf.
Understandable, I probably would do likewise. Of course I got a great MkII target to shoot

Joe13

Reactions
I'll have to go look at the box tomorrow but that's about the year my grandpa bought one to teach me how to shoot.

I've not refinished it but it's still in pretty good shape 36 years later since it's always been a range gun.

I still bust it out and take it with me for the nostalgia. I always hear in the back of my head "squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it" - I was four so there wasn't the phalus part at the end of that statement:p.

Still a great gun with a good trigger and many fond memories.

Reactions
View attachment 348513 So a few weeks ago my dad dug out a couple of my grandpa's guns and we kind of cleaned up a few and even took a couple out to shoot.

There was this Ruger Standard.22 and it was in pretty bad shape. It was holster worn real bad and had some pretty significant rust.

I convinced my dad to let me try and bring it back, mostly because it was rough enough I don't think he cared.

So I stripped, sanded polished and re blued the thing. First time I have ever attempted anything close to a full overall.

I had this idea of my grandfather packing this thing around on his many fishing or rock hunting trips and just figured I wanted it to be better than new.

So I got it all done and I was doing some reading on the Ruger Standard. All this time working on it I assumed this was a old example, mostly because it was so rough. I figured my Grandfather bought this thing in the 50's and he had a long history with it.

Imagine my disappointment when I check the serial number against the list and find out it was manufactured in 1981. :rolleyes:

In any case I am happy with how it turned out. I feel a lot more confident about firearm refinishing and with this experience am sure I will tackle a few others that need it.
Nice old pistol. Every time I see one I miss mine. First handgun I bought for myself back in the early 70's was one of those. It was WELL worn when I bought it but worked great. Decades later I had a MKII and never shot it. Someone just had to have it and paid enough. I still miss it.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Project Appleseed
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
  • Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Helpful and Handy
    I have shopped, transferred, bought, browsed, or merely stopped in for a friendly hello or two, and every time without fail I left feeling better...
    • 10mm
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Definitely recommended
    friendly people, great prices on guns ammo tools, jewelry, other pawn shop stuff, always been easy to deal with
  • A Cut Above Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Responsive, courteous, great comms and absolutely reasonable!
    Bought a firearm from a local NWF's member and as I live in Idaho it had to transfer through a local FFL. The Seller picked A Cut Above... The...
Top Bottom