JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_0520.JPG So a few weeks ago my dad dug out a couple of my grandpa's guns and we kind of cleaned up a few and even took a couple out to shoot.

There was this Ruger Standard.22 and it was in pretty bad shape. It was holster worn real bad and had some pretty significant rust.

I convinced my dad to let me try and bring it back, mostly because it was rough enough I don't think he cared.

So I stripped, sanded polished and re blued the thing. First time I have ever attempted anything close to a full overall.

I had this idea of my grandfather packing this thing around on his many fishing or rock hunting trips and just figured I wanted it to be better than new.

So I got it all done and I was doing some reading on the Ruger Standard. All this time working on it I assumed this was a old example, mostly because it was so rough. I figured my Grandfather bought this thing in the 50's and he had a long history with it.

Imagine my disappointment when I check the serial number against the list and find out it was manufactured in 1981. :rolleyes:

In any case I am happy with how it turned out. I feel a lot more confident about firearm refinishing and with this experience am sure I will tackle a few others that need it.

I've got two standards, and both are mint in box.
One of them is the special end of run production "1 of 5000" signed edition stainless steel model in the salt cod box, and the other is a 50 years in business commemorative.
I can't justify shooting them, so I just admire the craftsmanship and put them back on the gun safes shelf.

I've got two standards, and both are mint in box.
One of them is the special end of run production "1 of 5000" signed edition stainless steel model in the salt cod box, and the other is a 50 years in business commemorative.
I can't justify shooting them, so I just admire the craftsmanship and put them back on the gun safes shelf.
Understandable, I probably would do likewise. Of course I got a great MkII target to shoot

I really need to find one like yours, so I can shoot one. I've been looking for a shooter grade, but always managed to buy collectibles.

I'll have to go look at the box tomorrow but that's about the year my grandpa bought one to teach me how to shoot.

I've not refinished it but it's still in pretty good shape 36 years later since it's always been a range gun.

I still bust it out and take it with me for the nostalgia. I always hear in the back of my head "squeeze the trigger, don't jerk it" - I was four so there wasn't the phalus part at the end of that statement:p.

Still a great gun with a good trigger and many fond memories.

View attachment 348513 So a few weeks ago my dad dug out a couple of my grandpa's guns and we kind of cleaned up a few and even took a couple out to shoot.

There was this Ruger Standard.22 and it was in pretty bad shape. It was holster worn real bad and had some pretty significant rust.

I convinced my dad to let me try and bring it back, mostly because it was rough enough I don't think he cared.

So I stripped, sanded polished and re blued the thing. First time I have ever attempted anything close to a full overall.

I had this idea of my grandfather packing this thing around on his many fishing or rock hunting trips and just figured I wanted it to be better than new.

So I got it all done and I was doing some reading on the Ruger Standard. All this time working on it I assumed this was a old example, mostly because it was so rough. I figured my Grandfather bought this thing in the 50's and he had a long history with it.

Imagine my disappointment when I check the serial number against the list and find out it was manufactured in 1981. :rolleyes:

In any case I am happy with how it turned out. I feel a lot more confident about firearm refinishing and with this experience am sure I will tackle a few others that need it.

Nice old pistol. Every time I see one I miss mine. First handgun I bought for myself back in the early 70's was one of those. It was WELL worn when I bought it but worked great. Decades later I had a MKII and never shot it. Someone just had to have it and paid enough. I still miss it.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top