JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What are people's preference for a GPS? I am looking to purchase one before the season starts and I'd like hunters input as to what is being used and why.
I would like to keep it under $300.
Thanks.

In that price point you're going to be looking at like a Garmin Etrex 30.

I run a Garmin Inreach mini which is around $315 or so. Not the best unit for nav, but I like the satellite communication capabilities.

I bought a really nice one planning on using the onx chip. They've since moved to a phone app. I have since sold the GPS unit, paid for the app, and bought a satellite communicator. The phone app uses the GPS on the phone and overlays previously downloaded maps.

1657585090508.png
cheap, basic gps unit. I can't run the fancy ones anyway.

I would think that you would want one that you can download maps to. I think the Etrex 30 is the first one that you can. That looks like a 20?
I don't know what # that one is. all I use it for is marking where the camp is, where the truck is parked and where my animal is down, what time it is and what altitude I am at.

i use paper and compass mainly. i figure i am not walking farther than whats on the map sheet anyways. i do bring a basic GPS unit like the yellow one above in case i get lost or want to double check my location.

View attachment 1238421
cheap, basic gps unit. I can't run the fancy ones anyway.
I have one of these that I've had for a few years. I used to use it with paper maps mainly to mark vehicle location, good game spots etc. It suited my needs as I mainly hunted on large privately owned properties not in the US.

Now that I live here I need to get used to hunting in specified GMU's so a GPS with the ability to download maps (Onx maps look good) is high on my wish list. I do have a late model phone but I want a GPS where I don't have to worry about keeping it charged up, just carry a few spare batteries.

Am I on the right path in my thinking, do the majority of hunters here use downloaded maps such as Onx or are there other apps that I can use to download GMU's? Is that a smart way to ensure I am in the area I need to be?

I have one of these that I've had for a few years. I used to use it with paper maps mainly to mark vehicle location, good game spots etc. It suited my needs as I mainly hunted on large privately owned properties not in the US.

Now that I live here I need to get used to hunting in specified GMU's so a GPS with the ability to download maps (Onx maps look good) is high on my wish list. I do have a late model phone but I want a GPS where I don't have to worry about keeping it charged up, just carry a few spare batteries.

Am I on the right path in my thinking, do the majority of hunters here use downloaded maps such as Onx or are there other apps that I can use to download GMU's? Is that a smart way to ensure I am in the area I need to be?
I gave up handheld GPS units many years ago in place of smartphone apps. 20 bucks a year (subscription) and all the map sets you need are available. Hunters love OnX cause its designed for them but I use Caltopo app which I think it way better (better USGS topo maps). Either way, any of the top smartphone apps are superior to the handheld units.

Caltopo, OnX, Backcountry Navigator, Giaia GPS all have excellent topo map layers to choose from, including layers showing public lands. The only one that might have hunting units is OnX. One advantage with OnX is they list private land owners names, I gave up asking years ago but that may be useful for others. (Note: anyone can look up a private land owner from the county website....)

I used to not care about upgrading my cell phone until I discovered what these phone apps can do for hunting, now I make certain to get a high end smartphone with a large screen for use while hunting every few years. (The cameras are an awesome side benefit) Ive had mine in all miserable conditions and the only time I had 1 issue was packing an elk out of the coast range at 1am in the middle of a November monsoon, it rained so hard I had to stop, drop the packboard, hunch over on the ground to keep the rain off the phone to check my position. (it was pitch black out in heavy fog and we were off trail...) otherwise enough water on the screen and the touchscreen started acting up. Light rain and snow, no problem...

I use Caltopo because it automatically syncs all my GPS data to my account on line when I get back in cell range so I can view/edit all my data on the maps on my desktop computer without doing any syncing, I go scouting collect data in the field and its just all there on my desktop when I get home. Im currently working on a game unit boundary layer. Any of the above apps you can print custom paper maps.

20 bucks a year...

It really is time for me to get my head out of "how I used to do it" and get into the 21st century. I guess my concern was battery life but I can get a decent battery pack to plug into my smartphone when it gets low. I was planning on carrying spare batteries for my GPS anyway so it won't be an issue to carry a pack for the phone.

Thanks for the posts I appreciate the input, and yes, looking at Onx website it does appear to have GMU's as a feature.

I used to use Backcountry Navigator it is a great GPS app with good layers including hiking and biking trails along with BLM and NFS layers. I have navigated alot of state land in Wyoming with this app.
I used it exclusively for many years and its a solid well done app. The guy who created it and owns it is local to Washington. I did switch to Caltopo for reasons but for right here I will say BCN is a solid navigation app to use.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top