JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys,

I have been looking for something to take out for scouting, hunting, or shooting days in the woods. Looking for something that has modularity with molle or attachment points, decent capacity, but simple.

I know there is a lot of tacticool BS out there, but I have looked at some options from 5.11 Tactical, etc., And I am interested in their Rapid Origin pack.

Anyways, any recommendations? Thanks in advance.

I would suggest dropping @CamoDeafie a line.
While I do not own anything made by him ( yet :D )...
His work is top notch , which easily shows when he posts about a new ruck / pack / bag project that he has made.
I will get a ARVN style ruck from him someday.....
Andy

Look at camelpacks. I've got one of theirs I use for day trips and it fits the bill perfectly. If the bladder isn't your thing you can remove it.

Ive got an older camo version of this.

Completely unrelated, looking through Camelpacks new stuff, I really like this one! Part of being in the woods lately (with my kid) is having more desire to be visible!

Last Edited:
i use the erbelstock H2 Gun runner for those types of days or short packing trips. I also have used the G3/4 for long trips. i like the fact i can have the rifle out the way while hiking.

For non long gun days, i have kifaru, tactical tailor, grey ghost etc.

There's also Hidden Woodsmen although his stuff is oriented more towards the ALICE fans and traditional woodsmen. https://thehiddenwoodsmen.com/

And then there's Pocket-Up, bit pricey, about the same level as Kifaru, MR and TT, but decent ideas and designs. Mel, the owner used to work for Kifaru.

Edit. I am a fan of supporting smaller businesses; they usually are the ones who need the coin and patronage, and they usually have designs that are actually well-thought out and a nice thing is their products tend to put them into a more exclusive market.

Hey guys,

I have been looking for something to take out for scouting, hunting, or shooting days in the woods. Looking for something that has modularity with molle or attachment points, decent capacity, but simple.

I know there is a lot of tacticool BS out there, but I have looked at some options from 5.11 Tactical, etc., And I am interested in their Rapid Origin pack.

Anyways, any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
I recommend any of the packs from Hill People Gear. I own a few of their products and along with being a homegrown company the designs are well thought out for hunting, shooting, and very very modular with almost all of their pack accessories that include molle panels and rifle attachments you can configure their packs many ways.

1619584561361.png

Can't go wrong with either if you don't mind the coin. I love the X-ray, makes a perfect day pack.

Mystery Ranch is good too. Stone Glacier and Exo are up there as well, but no personal experience.

There are 3 pieces of gear I spent a metric bubblegum-ton on: Boots, Pack(s) and rain gear. I don't regret or even remember how much I spent after years of use. The amortization rate over its and your lifespan is really pretty cheap in the long run. Your back and joints will thank you as you get older.

Thank you guys for all the recommendations so far, tons of good options.

@CamoDeafie, with all the love you're getting, I'm very interested in seeing some of your work. Plus, I agree, I like to support the small businesses. RTS Outdoors is a front runner for me, as I also spend a lot of time bushcrafting. I am familiar with Hidden Woodsman's stuff as well, but am looking for something more... Firearm oriented, since I already have a fair amount of gear for other outdoors activities.

As far as spending money on good gear, trust me, I know. I have thousands into mountaineering, backpacking, and other activities. Several packs, two seasonal pairs of boots, etc. Looking for something that is specifically a day pack with a rifle and good modularity in mind.

I have some shopping cut out for me. Thanks again Gents.

I am also taking it under advisement that no one has yet recommended 5.11 Tactical...

Thank you guys for all the recommendations so far, tons of good options.

I am also taking it under advisement that no one has yet recommended 5.11 Tactical...
I'll recommend 5.11 wholeheartedly. Have had a few Camelbaks but prefer the 5.11. I have 2 Rush 12 and a Rush 24 I've used almost constantly for years. Built well and durable, I've liked the pocket layouts and sizes. Never had any problems.
Had 2 Badlands, wasn't happy with them. Zippers broke several times and most pockets were funny shapes. Eberlestock was very nice but it didn't fit me comfortably, seemed short in the torso. YMMV.
There's better out there than 5.11 but for the money I think they're hard to beat.

With so many good gear manufacturers, there is no reason to recommend anyone who markets to a mostly patriotic clientele, but manufactures their gear in unfriendly countries.

Take a look at Tactical Tailor and Hill People Gear as well. I have a few pieces of each and they will outlast me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top