JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your favorite dystopian movie and why?

• THX 1138

• Fahrenheit 451

• Land of the Blind

• V for Vendetta

• They Live

• Soylent Green

• Minority Report

• Blade Runner

• Other: (tell us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
...IMO a movie like The Road is probably the ultimate apocalyptic movie since the ending is less than positive in its outlook - if you haven't seen it then don't scroll down since I'm about to spoil it.

Scroll down

Keep scrolling

<spoiler snipped>.
Further spoiler....

Do not read if you haven't read the book/seen the movie...

Keep going....

Okay, last warning...

Nope. Totally left up to the reader/viewer to intrepret the outcome (IMO).

They were "carrying the fire"...the choice the kid decided to make. He had 2 at that moment, stay with his dead father, or go with them.

He believed that they are "carrying the fire" of good in there heart...even though the man had really no idea what the kid was talking about, he got the general idea.

My favorite dystopian movie has to be Children of Men. I haven't had the chance to read the novel by P.D. James, but the movie was damned near prophetic.

a near-future dystopia in which women are inexplicably unable to have babies — a state of affairs upended by the advent of a miraculous pregnancy. The film is set in the deteriorating cities and countryside of southeastern England — vividly rendered with alarming realism and minimal use of sci-fi futurism — amid geopolitical chaos that has led to a massive refugee crisis, which has in turn led an immigrant-fearing and authoritarian U.K. to close its borders to outsiders who seek its shores. Terrorist attacks in European capitals are just routine items in the news crawl. The world stands on the brink, and no one has any clear idea of what can be done. The film, in hindsight, seems like a documentary about a future that, in 2016, finally arrived.

dystopian
"Utopian" describes a society that's conceived to be perfect. Dystopian is the exact opposite — it describes an imaginary society that is as dehumanizing and as unpleasant as possible.

Going off the definition above from etrain16. I would have to say "The Divide." If you thought "The Road" was depressing, The Divide will leave you with a sense that you shouldn't have watched the movie at all. I know there are some guys/gals out there that are into that stuff. After I watched it, I didn't want to see it again.

Last Edited:
The Divide will leave you with a sense that you shouldn't have watched the movie at all. I know there are some guys/gals out there that are into that stuff after I watched it, I didn't want to see it again.

There are a number of movies in different genres that I found disturbing or depressing and wouldn't watch again. I can't remember all of them but Apocalypse Now and The Gangs of New York would be two for sure. Gangs was a good movie but was not feel good.

A Scanner Darkly was an awesome movie, and very much in line with the rest of Phillip K Dick's works.
Solyent Green is another really good one
Any of the Orsen Wells movie adaptations
Water World ( cannot stand K. Kostner)
The Crow pt 1
All of the Mad Max movies!!!

dystopian
"Utopian" describes a society that's conceived to be perfect. Dystopian is the exact opposite — it describes an imaginary society that is as dehumanizing and as unpleasant as possible.

Going off the definition above from etrain16. I would have to say "The Divide." If you thought "The Road" was depressing, The Divide will leave you with a sense that you shouldn't have watched the movie at all. I know there are some guys/gals out there that are into that stuff. After I watched it, I didn't want to see it again.

I've seen The Divide and found it damned disturbing at times, and a little confusing as well. I still can't figure out who the guys in the moon suits were, what their purpose was, and just how they knew there was a fallout shelter in that exact location.
It's still worth a watch but definitely not for kids or the faint of heart

A Scanner Darkly was an awesome movie, and very much in line with the rest of Phillip K Dick's works.
Solyent Green is another really good one
Any of the Orsen Wells movie adaptations
Water World ( cannot stand K. Kostner)
The Crow pt 1
All of the Mad Max movies!!!

Costner is ok by me, but Water World???? Dude!!! Boy do we have different tastes. :p:D

A Scanner Darkly is a 2006 American animated science-fiction thriller film directed by Richard Linklater, based on the novel of the same name by Philip K. Dick. The film tells the story of identity and deception in a near-future dystopia constantly under intrusive high-tech police surveillance in the midst of a drug addiction epidemic. The film was shot digitally and then animated using interpolated rotoscope, an animation technique in which animators trace over the original footage frame by frame, for use in live-action and animated films, giving the finished result a distinctive animated look. It was distributed by Warner Independent Pictures.

The film was written and directed by Richard Linklater and stars Keanu Reeves, Robert Downey, Jr., Woody Harrelson, and Winona Ryder.

I guess another would be Elysium - which I guess could be characterized as a mix of dystopian and utopian together - with a clear line drawn between the haves and the have-nots. Matt Damon does a good job in this one.

I guess another would be Elysium - which I guess could be characterized as a mix of dystopian and utopian together - with a clear line drawn between the haves and the have-nots. Matt Damon does a good job in this one.

Good pick! I'll have to check that one out too. Wow so many good ideas in this thread for movie fans.

Elysium - In the year 2154, the very wealthy live on a man-made space station while the rest of the population resides on a ruined Earth. A man takes on a mission that could bring equality to the polarized worlds.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top