JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your favorite dystopian movie and why?

• THX 1138

• Fahrenheit 451

• Land of the Blind

• V for Vendetta

• They Live

• Soylent Green

• Minority Report

• Blade Runner

• Other: (tell us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
I'll start it off:

Soylent Green! Gotta love Charlton Heston acting. But the biggest reason is that I am aging and mandatory "retirement" of the kind in the movie is pretty scary!!!!!

The Giver is probably my fav. Read the book in 7th grade when it was out for a year. Solid book.

Lately as odd as it sounds, Mocking Jay and the Divergent line have a really similar line with self important people ruining the lives of peons.

Not dystopian, but my favorite dotgov run amok movie is Enemy of the State with Will Smith and Gene Hackman.
Great movie.
I'm not really into the apocalyptic/dystopian stuff.
I already don't trust my government, without looking too hard at how screwed up they'll leave us when the SHTF.

Carry on.

Since you said movie, from the list, I'm going to have to go, without reservation, with Blade Runner. Metropolis warrants a mention too.

If it was expanded to books, then 1984. Though the latter isn't exactly light reading, but it is one of the greats. In the same vein, though I'm not a devotee of her work, We the Living, by Ayn Rand is a fictional, almost semi-autobiographical, glimpse into the horrors of Soviet communism. The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick, is an early example of alternative history, and covers a world ruled by the Axis powers.

And I'm sure there are more than a few that will come to mind later. ;)

The Giver is probably my fav. Read the book in 7th grade when it was out for a year. Solid book.

Lately as odd as it sounds, Mocking Jay and the Divergent line have a really similar line with self important people ruining the lives of peons.

I'll have to look for that book. Hadn't heard of it before. And you're right about those two movies, you think they will be classics of the future?

Since you said movie, from the list, I'm going to have to go, without reservation, with Blade Runner. Metropolis warrants a mention too.

If it was expanded to books, then 1984. Though the latter isn't exactly light reading, but it is one of the greats. In the same vein, though I'm not a devotee of her work, We the Living, by Ayn Rand is a fictional, almost semi-autobiographical, glimpse into the horrors of Soviet communism. The Man in the High Castle, by Philip K. Dick, is an early example of alternative history, and covers a world ruled by the Axis powers.

And I'm sure there are more than a few that will come to mind later. ;)

Please do add more! I'm getting some great ideas for things to check out. I do like the works of Ayn Rand. Started reading her at age 10. I think it was very formative for me... I'm very very independent minded. Not so sure about the movie adaptations. I guess they are entertaining enough.

Solar Babies

Eh? Tell us more about this one!

Does Idiocracy qualify?

I had to look that one up... Interesting!!!

The Road and 12 Monkeys are at the top of my list.

I've got The Road flagged on Netfix. Just can't seem to get around to it.

I'll have to look for that book. Hadn't heard of it before. And you're right about those two movies, you think they will be classics of the future?
The underlying theme behind the story is what I'm referring to. May not see it well, if you want they did make a movie out of it that gives a better visual to how the society is.

"The Road" is pretty grim. Not a happy ending, in fact the whole movie is downright depressing but realistic in what a nuclear type winter would look like.

"The Road" is pretty grim. Not a happy ending, in fact the whole movie is downright depressing but realistic in what a nuclear type winter would look like.

I guess that's why I haven't watched it yet. The cover and description are not attracting me... even less so now since I'm not a fan of grim endings. I'll probably watch it sometime, but I'm in no hurry. Thx for the heads up.

(Solarbabies) Eh? Tell us more about this one!

The movie is about a post apocalyptic government that holds back water from the people. It hasn't rained as long as many if the characters have been alive. There is a government orphanage that hokds kids in a semi confined facility and uses them as slaves. A celestial body named Bodi comes to Earth and is found by a deaf boy. Soon, his deafness is cured and other orphans learn of its powers and turn against the government and breach a dam that releases the water and frees the people.

The movie is about a post apocalyptic government that holds back water from the people. It hasn't rained as long as many if the characters have been alive. There is a government orphanage that hokds kids in a semi confined facility and uses them as slaves. A celestial body named Bodi comes to Earth and is found by a deaf boy. Soon, his deafness is cured and other orphans learn of its powers and turn against the government and breach a dam that releases the water and frees the people.

Sounds like a win!

Bodi Sutva?

Of the list: Bladerunner, followed by V for Vendetta (I think Natalie Portman is a hottie, even as a cue ball, so there's also that which swayed my opinion...:rolleyes:).

For "other": I'll add Brazil, worth a watch.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top