JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your favorite dystopian movie and why?

• THX 1138

• Fahrenheit 451

• Land of the Blind

• V for Vendetta

• They Live

• Soylent Green

• Minority Report

• Blade Runner

• Other: (tell us)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Of the list: Bladerunner, followed by V for Vendetta (I think Natalie Portman is a hottie, even as a cue ball, so there's also that which swayed my opinion...:rolleyes:).

For "other": I'll add Brazil, worth a watch.

Ah, do Brasil...

"The film centres on Sam Lowry, a man trying to find a woman who appears in his dreams while he is working in a mind-numbing job and living in a small apartment, set in a consumer-driven dystopian world in which there is an over-reliance on poorly maintained (and rather whimsical) machines."

de Niro, Hoskins, and Kim Griest (C.H.U.D. One of my fav movies)... Can't lose with that cast. :)

Some favs:

The Road Warrior
13 Monkeys
The Book of Eli (Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Beals, great movie)
Minority Report
The 5th Element
Oblivion
Does the Walking Dead count??

And my favorite distopian book growing up: Z for Zachariah, which I guess is being made into a movie now?

I enjoy dystopian books and movies. In a lot of ways they are like westerns but with modern weapons. Many of them also reflect modern life and concerns. I don't have a new one to add but have a couple of comments on a few:

Idiocracy - future generations will think this is a straight up documentary of the times we are in. I pretty much agree with them.

They Live - better than it should have been just like Roddy Piper was a much better than expected actor. Plus he was a truly decent local guy who gave back.

1984 - was supposed to alarm us and make sure it never happened. Instead it became a playbook for the deep government.

V for Vendetta - Loved the movie, but I sure wish it haden't inspired all those damn Guy Fawkes masks.

Movies they should make:

The Survuvalist series by A American

The Coming Collapse series by John Wesley Rawles

I enjoy dystopian books and movies. In a lot of ways they are like westerns but with modern weapons. Many of them also reflect modern life and concerns. I don't have a new one to add but have a couple of comments on a few:

Idiocracy - future generations will think this is a straight up documentary of the times we are in. I pretty much agree with them.

They Live - better than it should have been just like Roddy Piper was a much better than expected actor. Plus he was a truly decent local guy who gave back.

1984 - was supposed to alarm us and make sure it never happened. Instead it became a playbook for the deep government.

V for Vendetta - Loved the movie, but I sure wish it haden't inspired all those damn Guy Fawkes masks.

Movies they should make:

The Survuvalist series by A American

The Coming Collapse series by John Wesley Rawles

Isn't Idiocracy just filmed as a day in the life of Portland? :rolleyes:

Some favs:

The Road Warrior
13 Monkeys
The Book of Eli (Denzel Washington, Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Jennifer Beals, great movie)
Minority Report
The 5th Element
Oblivion

And my favorite distopian book growing up: Z for Zachariah, which I guess is being made into a movie now?

Good list, I especially liked The Book of Eli and 13 Monkeys. Charlton Heston also did The Omega Man which I really liked as well. I voted for Soylent Green from the list.

Some favs:

The Road Warrior
13 Monkeys
Minority Report
The 5th Element
Oblivion

dystopian
"Utopian" describes a society that's conceived to be perfect. Dystopian is the exact opposite — it describes an imaginary society that is as dehumanizing and as unpleasant as possible.

George Orwell's "Animal Farm," for example, describes a dystopian society in which Napoleon, a pig, represents Joseph Stalin in a farmyard satire on Stalinist Russia and how power corrupts. Other famous dystopian authors include Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut, and Ray Bradbury. The adjective dystopian describes anything that pertains to or resembles a society such as those described in this sort of literature.

Loved the Book of Eli - post apocalyptic but not sure it's dystopian. Besides having an imaginary society that is unhappy, people are mistreated or not treated fairly, especially by government. I'd have to watch it again.

Zombies? Love em! But while the concept of zombies is certainly dehumanizing, and the Governor is too, I find Grimes group of survivors so so human. For me it's a maybe. ;)

Dang it, now I'm gonna have to watch 12 Monkeys again.

dystopian
"Utopian" describes a society that's conceived to be perfect. Dystopian is the exact opposite — it describes an imaginary society that is as dehumanizing and as unpleasant as possible.

George Orwell's "Animal Farm," for example, describes a dystopian society in which Napoleon, a pig, represents Joseph Stalin in a farmyard satire on Stalinist Russia and how power corrupts. Other famous dystopian authors include Aldous Huxley, Kurt Vonnegut, and Ray Bradbury. The adjective dystopian describes anything that pertains to or resembles a society such as those described in this sort of literature.

Loved the Book of Eli - post apocalyptic but not sure it's dystopian. Besides having an imaginary society that is unhappy, people are mistreated or not treated fairly, especially by government. I'd have to watch it again.

Zombies? Love em! But while the concept of zombies is certainly dehumanizing, and the Governor is too, I find Grimes group of survivors so so human. For me it's a maybe. ;)

Dang it, now I'm gonna have to watch 12 Monkeys again.

I will admit that I questioned if I was stretching the definition of dystopian a bit (as we as misspelling it...) but I went ahead and threw them in anyway. You are correct though, not all of these movies fit the firm definition of dystopian.

I forgot another one that is kind of odd, but worth consideration - Strange Days

Good list, I especially liked The Book of Eli and 13 Monkeys. Charlton Heston also did The Omega Man which I really liked as well. I voted for Soylent Green from the list.

Anything Charlie starred in was fabulous! Omega Man is one of my favs!!!! Interesting take on dystopian. So is The Stand dystopian? What sets dystopian apart from post-apocalyptic?

I will admit that I questioned if I was stretching the definition of dystopian a bit (as we as misspelling it...) but I went ahead and threw them in anyway. You are correct though, not all of these movies fit the firm definition of dystopian.

I forgot another one that is kind of odd, but worth consideration - Strange Days

:D:D:D

the film follows the story of a black marketeer of SQUID discs, recordings that allow a user to experience the recorder's memories and physical sensations,

What was the name of the movie Natalie Wood was in that featured that kind of experience? And one guy died because he had sex with a babe on a constant loop... Ah, what a way to go!!! :D Edit: Ah... "Brainstorm".

Are we one of the few that remember Roddy Piper in They Live. I never thought he was a great actor but that was a pretty good show.

Last Edited:
Anything Charlie starred in was fabulous! Omega Man is one of my favs!!!! Interesting take on dystopian. So is The Stand dystopian? What sets dystopian apart from post-apocalyptic?

The Stand, - very well done mini series/movie. If you enjoyed the book you'd probably like the screen interpretation.

Dystopian? Hmmm I'm not so sure. More of a classic "good" vs "evil"...but maybe.

"The Postman", also another good vs evil, however closer in my mind to Dystopian apolocolyptic drama.

The Stand, - very well done mini series/movie. If you enjoyed the book you'd probably like the screen interpretation.

Dystopian? Hmmm I'm not so sure. More of a classic "good" vs "evil"...but maybe.

"The Postman", also another good vs evil, however closer in my mind to Dystopian apolocolyptic drama.

Actually I loved both the book and the movie. Stephen King is like that yuppers.

The Postman... Yes, because there was a dictator government. Hmmm, that would make Revolution dystopian too?

Last Edited:
I'm really surprised nobody picked:

Land of the Blind is a 2006 British-American black comedy drama film starring Ralph Fiennes, Donald Sutherland, Tom Hollander and Lara Flynn Boyle.

Land of the Blind is a dark political satire, based on several incidents throughout history in which tyrannical rulers were overthrown by new leaders who proved to be just as bad, if not worse, and subtle references are made to several such cases. The title is taken from the saying, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king."

Great cast.

Then there's Demolition Man, in which everybody is too happy. Joy joy!!

And Judge Dread: In a dystopian future, Joseph Dredd, the most famous Judge (a police officer with instant field judiciary powers), is convicted for a crime he did not commit and must face his murderous counterpart. Is that movie any good? Never watched it.

Last Edited:
I chose "other" in your poll.

Not mentioned yet, "The Hunger Games" series gets my vote as one of the top choices. (dystopia defined as a community or society that is undesirable or frightening). I'm not saying it's the best, but it may be the most real/believable and thus the best at showing young folks, esp. young girls, one ugly path of oneself and other honest citizens to be disarmed against an overreaching, over-powerful government. Katniss, the heroine, arms herself early on with bow and arrows in violation of the law simply to hunt game. It soon becomes a skill (both ignoring orders from above and the bow) she utilizes first to survive, then later to take over the wretched nasty overlords running the country and to establish justice for all. Good stuff and everyone of our kids should watch these movies at least 3 times:)

Are we one of the few that remember Roddy Piper in They Live. I never thought he was a great actor but that was a pretty good show.

I forgot about that one! Ol' Roddy Piper - I grew up watching him wrestle. Yeah that movie was good, but mostly because it was corny, which made it good :)

The Stand - that was a good one. M O O N, that spells Moon ;)

Not mentioned yet, "The Hunger Games" series gets my vote as one of the top choices. (dystopia defined as a community or society that is undesirable or frightening).

Ah, good ol Wiki. Under that definition, we live in a dystopian society, yes?

Yeah that movie was good, but mostly because it was corny, which made it good :)

It was corny alright, but still scary... subliminal messages CONFORM, OBEY, etc. :eek:

The Stand - that was a good one. M O O N, that spells Moon ;)

E T R A I N spells Moon! :p:D:D

I loved the book, but I thought the mini - series was horrible. To do the book justice, it really should have been done on cable like HBO or Showtime. There was just way too much of the story that ABC would have never allowed to be shown, much less filmed.

I don't think I would classify The Postman as being apocalyptic since they appeared to rebuild and became a stable society again. IMO a movie like The Road is probably the ultimate apocalyptic movie since the ending is less than positive in its outlook - if you haven't seen it then don't scroll down since I'm about to spoil it.

Scroll down

Keep scrolling

At the end the son went with the other family all of whom were assured to die miserable deaths from starvation or being eaten by gangs of cannibals. Providing the family didn't eat the son first.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top