JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Government orders had nothing what so ever to do with the speed at which ammo has been purchased. There is no shortage there hasn't been a shortage. What theres been is people buying 10 times the normal amount of ammo in less time.

What has changed dramatically is the DEMAND not the SUPPLY. And the government hasn't been buying any more ammo per year then they have been for the last 5 years.

But hey the tin foil looks good on you. So who am I to drag reality into the conversation.

If the statements by Hornady and Remington and the like "The Government contracts consist of only 5% of our manufacture" is true, then what's hitting the shelves is pretty much what will keep hitting the shelves.

3 weeks people.

That's my somewhat educated guess based on what I've seen at Bi-Mart and Sportsman's Warehouse and Wal-Mart.

If people stopped buying EVERYTHING in sight the day it's delivered, then the shelves would look fairly normal within 3 weeks. (Taking the quantity delivered weekly, multiplying it by 3 and taking into account the empty space on the shelves.)

Mark W. You're partially correct.

I'm not a tinfoil hat kinda guy, but you are slightly mistaken in assuming/asserting that the government hasn't ALSO increased their demand for ammunition. The government has ordered 12x the ammo they have bought in previous years.

It's a joint effort really.

Actually, Mark W is correct. Government ammunition growth hasn't exceeded private market ammunition consumption. The vast majority of ammunition-- even from the company who DHS orders from (ATK) is going to the private market. They make more money off of us than they do from the government, who spends less money per round than we do. These companies are not owned by the government, and they do not take orders from the government. If our government tried to tell them what to do, they would get the finger.

These companies are not owned by the government, and they do not take orders from the government. If our government tried to tell them what to do, they would get the finger.

If they didn't give the government discounts and priority over civilians, their manufacturing licenses get yanked. Taking orders involuntarily is still taking orders.

That is what I heard today. Anybody else hear this? Is it even possible? If so ammo could be hitting the shelves before we know it.

From what source? Maybe it's a rumor to get people to hold off on buying ammo for now. That would certainly solve a lot of problems. I think I like this rumor!

The government has ordered 12x the ammo they have bought in previous years.

Source?

Seems to me the .gov via the military was probably using the most ammo from 2003ish through 2008 or so. Ammo and reloading supplies were readily available. My opinion is that the ammo and reloading shortage is a self-inflicted wound that gun owners have brought upon themselves. It's just a matter of time before some ammo hoarder's house accidentally is involved in a fire and the EMS won't be able to get close enough to put it out for all the ammo going up in smoke.

2003-2008 they were using up old stockpiles for the most part. Remember, even when we are not fighting a war the government has contracts to buy a certain amount a year. What they don't use, they store.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top