JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My wife is a decent shot and has shot .22 to 12ga but as she puts it "it's not in her top 5 things to do in a weekend".

The last time I took her with me was about 3 years ago, maybe 4, and we went up to larch and shot a bunch of stuff with various caliber's.

Since then she says she would rather it be my thing and that she isn't against going but rather, has too much to do and not enough time.

So I got her to go with me to the range picnic a few weeks ago and she got to see that it wasn't the middle of the woods with a bunch of bubba's hanging out.

This last weekend though I had put shooting down on the calendar and the person I was going with bailed on me last min and my wife knowing that I was slightly disappointed offered to go with me.

Couldn't let that pass so I took her up on it and we had a good time. The pistol range was closed for a competition (I had hoped to get her shooting the house guns) so we just shot a .22 rifle (I need a scope on that thing lol).

After it was all said and done (we bs'ed with a couple of real nice RSO's for awhile) we left after not being there for too long and that is when she says as we are driving out of the gate, "I could see doing this every 4-6 weeks".

That may not be a big thing for you guys that have gals that share your love of shooting but for me those words were a huge step after years of trying to get her to go with me.

Hell, even every couple months would be a big step so I am/was elated to hear her interest was peaked.

Now I just have to convince her that a tiny group, even if it's not in the bulls eye, is a good thing lol:D

My wife is a decent shot and has shot .22 to 12ga but as she puts it "it's not in her top 5 things to do in a weekend".

The last time I took her with me was about 3 years ago, maybe 4, and we went up to larch and shot a bunch of stuff with various caliber's.

Since then she says she would rather it be my thing and that she isn't against going but rather, has too much to do and not enough time.

So I got her to go with me to the range picnic a few weeks ago and she got to see that it wasn't the middle of the woods with a bunch of bubba's hanging out.

This last weekend though I had put shooting down on the calendar and the person I was going with bailed on me last min and my wife knowing that I was slightly disappointed offered to go with me.

Couldn't let that pass so I took her up on it and we had a good time. The pistol range was closed for a competition (I had hoped to get her shooting the house guns) so we just shot a .22 rifle (I need a scope on that thing lol).

After it was all said and done (we bs'ed with a couple of real nice RSO's for awhile) we left after not being there for too long and that is when she says as we are driving out of the gate, "I could see doing this every 4-6 weeks".

That may not be a big thing for you guys that have gals that share your love of shooting but for me those words were a huge step after years of trying to get her to go with me.

Hell, even every couple months would be a big step so I am/was elated to hear her interest was peaked.

Now I just have to convince her that a tiny group, even if it's not in the bulls eye, is a good thing lol:D
Sounds like she is related to my wife. At least you got her interest going. Kudos man!

FANTASTIC!!!!! I have been working on Wife for over 2 decades. She was like your's, would go once in a while but no real interest. First breakthrough was when I bought us both an annual membership at the range. She all of a sudden would go when I was working. It was good for me too as it got me to go more which I needed. Now she's even taken to buying her own guns. LOVE IT!! Hope yours keeps learning to like the sport too!

Awesome!

I've dated women over the years with varying degrees of enthusiasm for shooting. For the less enthused, I always tried to make it more of a date/fun event than just going shooting. We'd drive up into the local mountains which most women love because it's pretty. We'd stop for coffee early on, and then either breakfast or I'd pack a Pic Nic lunch for the really "hard sells." Cause Pic Nics are romantic. :rolleyes: Then we'd hit the shooting spot for a few hours and then stop for apple pie on the way out of the mountains (there's a place that's known for it's apple pie and who doesn't like APPLE PIE!!!).

This always seemed to work well for most of them. Another key is if you can find another couple to go with. Then it's much more of a social event and you know how women like to be social.

Nice Joe. My wife does not have much interest in shooting either. But last time just letting
her shoot a 22 pistol (M&P). Easy to shoot and a confidence builder. She started
to enjoy it!:eek: I am pretty sure she wasn't faking it this time?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
She seems to have more interest in shooting if she brings a girl friend.:D
Sounds like you were at Clark last Sunday? I was shooting the plate match.:cool:

Awesome!

I've dated women over the years with varying degrees of enthusiasm for shooting. For the less enthused, I always tried to make it more of a date/fun event than just going shooting. We'd drive up into the local mountains which most women love because it's pretty. We'd stop for coffee early on, and then either breakfast or I'd pack a Pic Nic lunch for the really "hard sells." Cause Pic Nics are romantic. :rolleyes: Then we'd hit the shooting spot for a few hours and then stop for apple pie on the way out of the mountains (there's a place that's known for it's apple pie and who doesn't like APPLE PIE!!!).

This always seemed to work well for most of them. Another key is if you can find another couple to go with. Then it's much more of a social event and you know how women like to be social.
That is a smart of you.
I think what I missed early in life was understanding for most women, relationships are #1 priority and doing stuff is further down on their list.

If I'm snippy with my wife at the range because she forgets something, it breaks the relationship aspect. If I am patient and kind, she enjoys the trip...duh :confused:

So like you said above, we try to make a date of it and I do my best to chill out, don't get bent when she tries to shove the mag in backwards for some reason even tho she's done it right a thousand times before...take breaks, compliment her skills and have a snack and somthing to drink.

If I can put all that together and not be a dick :oops:, she generally asks if we can go shooting again because she had a good experience. :)

FWIW...there is an online test you can google called Love Language test...it's pretty cool to take the test separately and then check out what makes each other really feel good.

Well done Joe13!!! Mine did compulsory service in her country, so she had a good back ground on shooting, and no gear fear of them. When she came here and learned all about this great country, it too hold and she wanted to shoot more and more! She makes her own gun choices, She goes shooting when ever she wants, and it a sort of competition with us now.
Glad your lovely bride has embraced this wonderful sport, and now you can share together one more fun thing to do:):):)

That is huge! I'm happy for you.

Nice Joe. My wife does not have much interest in shooting either. But last time just letting
her shoot a 22 pistol (M&P). Easy to shoot and a confidence builder. She started
to enjoy it!:eek: I am pretty sure she wasn't faking it this time?:confused::confused::confused::confused:
She seems to have more interest in shooting if she brings a girl friend.:D
Sounds like you were at Clark last Sunday? I was shooting the plate match.:cool:

That's where we were;). So you were one of the ones hogging the pistol range:p. My wife kept catching me taking a peak and saying "no, you don't need to get into competitions right now" lol.

It'll happen in time.:D:rolleyes:

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Part of this was in fact partly in preparation for going with another couple and mostly we just enjoyed the morning out and about together:cool:

It is for the fun of it match. Head to Head falling plates. 3 classes---- 22 pistol, centerfire pistol
and centerfire revolver. Very exspensive to shoot. $2 for each class!:rolleyes:
If you want to give it a try. I have an extra 22 Ruger Mk II with a dot on it you can borrow.:rolleyes:

It is for the fun of it match. Head to Head falling plates. 3 classes---- 22 pistol, centerfire pistol
and centerfire revolver. Very exspensive to shoot. $2 for each class!:rolleyes:
If you want to give it a try. I have an extra 22 Ruger Mk II with a dot on it you can borrow.:rolleyes:

That sounds like fun - I may take you up on that. Pm me when they set one up and I'll do what I can to make it.

That is a smart of you.
I think what I missed early in life was understanding for most women, relationships are #1 priority and doing stuff is further down on their list.

If I'm snippy with my wife at the range because she forgets something, it breaks the relationship aspect. If I am patient and kind, she enjoys the trip...duh :confused:

So like you said above, we try to make a date of it and I do my best to chill out, don't get bent when she tries to shove the mag in backwards for some reason even tho she's done it right a thousand times before...take breaks, compliment her skills and have a snack and somthing to drink.

If I can put all that together and not be a dick :oops:, she generally asks if we can go shooting again because she had a good experience. :)

FWIW...there is an online test you can google called Love Language test...it's pretty cool to take the test separately and then check out what makes each other really feel good.

Sigh. See, the EX fiancé...was all about love languages. According to her, her language was "words of affirmation" and "quality time." I'm "Acts of Service." But as it turns out, "love language" is an advanced relationship concept. It only works if you're not a total and complete selfish bridge troll to start with. If you're the type of person who would bail on your own mother when she's sick as a dog and heading to the Emergency Room, because you'd rather be out having drinks with your girlfriend, then your character is so hopelessly and completely flawed that it really doesn't matter what language we're both speaking. I digress. :rolleyes:

I tend to have a completely different focus when I take a girl shooting. When it's just me it's all about training and building my skills, etc. With a girl, it's all about trying to make sure they have fun so that they'll want to do it again and hopefully get into shooting more seriously. Cause it would be awesome to have a partner to actually train with. But I'm starting to think it's probably time for a starter cat. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top