JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The neighbor's called the landlord and complained so the landlord told us to quit shooting since he doesn't like to be bothered(understandable) Went to the neighbor's to try to work something out and he says our calibers don't belong in a backyard shooting zone (rimfires, .223, and 7.62x39) even with 4+ properties shooting around us and that he can only shut us down since he is friends with landlord. His son (age 51) comes out and starts harassing my father-in-law and I, calling us hillbillies and slightly pushing us around. The landlord says he doesn't care if we shoot but doesn't want to be bothered. Gonna talk to landlord tomorrow to see what he says about the situation and have the sheriff come out to verify that we are perfectly legal and tell the neighbors to shove it. Any other ideas?

Not quite sure, but I would think that Since your renting and its not your property, Whatever the landlord says goes. So id think it was up to him.

I think that the landlord does not have the authority to prohibit legal activities on the property unless the prohibition is explicitly stated in the lease.

That said, it would be best to remain on good terms with your landlord regardless - OP's plan to start out by talking to the landlord and the sheriff is a great one. I'd talk to the sheriff first and see if he'd be willing to answer any questions your landlord might have.

Then talk to your neighbor. Even though I get the impression that his main problem is simply being a crotchety old man, it would be helpful if you gave him a chance to articulate his actual complaint, whether it be noise, safety, or something else. After that, reach out by promising to limit your shooting to certain hours or making some other minor concession based on his actual concerns. If he knows that the law and your landlord are both on your side, he may find a way to deal with it.

There was no written lease as to specs of activity and the landlord has said that he doesn't mind the shooting he just doesn't want the whining phone call from the neighbors. Neighbor says he taught gun safety in military for 5 years and those calibers will go a foot thick of trees and still have enough force to ricochet more than 90 degrees to the left and travel 300 yds. toward his property. As I said before, there are several properties around us that shoot, some neighbors have even fired at close to midnight and he won't call the cops. He says he can't control them but can control us cause he knows the landlord. I just hate to see the landlord in the middle as its his say but also not his problem.

Assuming your activities are legal and do not violate any rental/lease contract, your landlord can't do much about it except to ask you not to shoot on the property.

As for your neighbor and his preposterous claim of "those calibers" taking a 90-degree turn and travelling another 300 yds AFTER passing through 12" of fresh wood... he's a moron. I expect the sum total of his teaching was reminding new recruits to keep their weapon pointed downrange.

I say if the area is legal to shoot in and the rental agreement doesnt state you can't then go for it. When paying rent the property is basically yours to a point. You are responsible for damages, accidents and such so I would just have the landlord tell your neighbor to call someone else next time. It is easier to tick off a annoying neighbor than find a good renter.

If you're shooting, and there is a clear (or vegetation) 90* angle from the point of impact to the other properties, you shouldn't be shooting there... Know your target and what is beyond. You'd better have a backstop.

that would be like the landlord telling you that you can only drink coke and not pepsi on the property (your HOME) as long as you pull up a city limits map... and are out of them, you should be good. and keep it after 7am and before dusk

This happened to me also. I was on BLM land in Bend and a couple neighbors called the cops and said bullets were whizzing over their houses. Of course B.S.
Some sheriff's cars pulled up checked our IDs and ran the serial number on my AR, and they were actually really nice and said we didn't have to leave we weren't doing anything wrong.

We left anyways and a month later we went to Bend and that area that we've been shooting on BLM for over 15 years! Has signs up that say no shooting.....B.s.

That's what I was thinking.
I would say a night shoot, but that didn't work out so well last time.

I had just bought my AR and the only time I had to fire it was 11pm.

It would have been fine, but there was just a brush fire there and there was some firemen staying the night in the bush. I woke up someone with some chocolate pants for sure.
My friend stopped me and said he heard someone talking in the bushes so we high tailed out of there and started driving down the road and a fire pick up was hauling butt down the road by us to where we were.
Needless to say we took the long way home and parked in the garage. :s0131:

we shoot into a stump which has a big hillside behind or into a different hillside at a different distance. we tend to shoot almost directly away from their house and there is heavy vegetation. It was me, my father-in-law, my tatoo artist and his 2 kids. It was basically non-stop .22 firing for a few hours (from 1pm-3:30pm)

If you are shooting into a proper backstop I would think it was safe. If not, then I understand the neighbors concern.

I don't fire up my Harley or power tools until at least 7-8am in the morning and shut down any noise before 9pm. Thats just being a good neighbor.

The landlord is king and makes the rules. He can and will move you out if you turn this into a battle of wills. Not worth it in my opinion, too hard to move.

Maybe you should consider buying a property out where you can shoot any time you choose or visit a gun range/shooting area.

Jacketed 223 ammo is fast moving stuff and can do amazing things when it hits steel or a solid rock. It can be dangerous.

I believe the OP said he has no written lease. That means he has a month to month tenancy.

In WA, long term leases must be in writing otherwise they are a "periodic tenancy." Periodic tenancies can also be in writing. The default period for a periodic tenancy unless otherwise specified in writing is 30 days.

The landlord can give notice of termination of the month to month agreement at any time for no reason, and so can the tenant. It doesn't have anything to do with shooting or anything else.

If the landlord gives notice at least 20 days before the end of the rental month, the contract is over and the tenant must move.

Again, neither the landlord nor the tenant has to have a reason to give notice of termination.

Be careful, unless you want to move.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads