JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Always figured each stick of wood warmed you five times, or more.:D
1. When you cut it.
2. When you load it.
3. When you stack it.
4. When you bring it in.
5. When you burn it.
Also a few other times when you have to move it, or re-stack it.:eek:

I don't give two shiits.
I love my stove more than getting sex from the wifey. Yes. That's a whole lotta love for a wood stove. I might give her a name.
God bless that stove.

Guess I had my man card since child hood. Grew up with two wood stoves heating the entire house. I was stacking wood as soon as I could walk and splitting as soon as I could swing the maul. Home from school I had to refill both wood racks inside and split and stack wood outside for stoking the stove over night. I loved going wood cutting as it was the only time as a kid we would get donuts. Great memories of heading up Mount Hood with the family, Grandparents and uncles in pickups and coming back down with loads of wood. I didn't have non-wood heat until college and hated it. Current residence doesn't have a stove but next one will.

Heated with a wood stove for the last 30 years... till we moved back to town :(
Had no other heat on the farm. Really miss that woodstove.

I try not to use the gas heat at all. I get a $20 permit every year and cut a quick 2 cords. I keep plenty of kindling ready to go at all times. The family has no excuses for turning on the heat. "if you are cold....light a fire! that's what all of this wood is for!":) I actually got the kids to go cut with us this year. Its good for em!

I still heat strictly with wood stoves in both the house and the shop section of my barn.

Heat both the house and the shop section of the barn with only wood and have for many years now.

Yep, I had a nice woodstove in my woodshop too. Nothing keeps the warm like wood :)
Nothing else feels the same. I hate this damned gas heat.

I loved my wood stove until it burned my cabin to the ground.
Funny thing was, I was up in the woods cutting firewood for the dam thing, and when I got back, the fire trucks were about ready to roll up their hoses.
One of the fireman walked into the ashes and lifted the lid to the dutch oven (which was on the wood stove) and said "Looks like your dinner is done." We all had a good chuckle over that, but they got to go home and I was left standing there with my crummy work clothes, a chipped coffee mug and 1/2 a cord of wood.

Last Edited:
Funny thing was, I was up in the woods cutting firewood for the dam thing, and when I got back, the fire trucks were about ready to roll up their hoses.
One of the fireman walked into the ashes and lifted the lid to the dutch oven (which was on the wood stove) and said "Looks like your dinner is done." We all had a good chuckle over that, but they got to go home and I was left standing there in my crummy work clothes, a chipped coffee mug and 1/2 a cord of wood.
Now that's a damn good story! I chipped mug and half a cord.
Do they know what caused it?

One of the fireman walked into the ashes and lifted the lid to the dutch oven (which was on the wood stove) and said "Looks like your dinner is done." We all had a good chuckle over that, but they got to go home and I was left standing there in my crummy work clothes, a chipped coffee mug and 1/2 a cord of wood.

Lost our first home on the farm to a fire, but not from the woodstove. Was damned squirrels chewing on the old wiring under the floor. Squirrels and me don't get along anymore. Lost 2 50 lb kegs of 4831 in that one too.

The section of stove pipe that went between the ceiling and roof was most likely the culprit, but who knows.
I'll say one thing, nothing frees up your life like having everything you own go up in smoke.
It was one week before Christmas and I didn't have any resources (I was fairly broke and out of work at the time) to replace anything that I lost, so I contacted the Red Cross for help.

It was the only time I have ever asked for charity and they gave me a cash certificate for $125.00 that was redeemable at J.C. Penny's.
It took hours to decide what to buy (clothes, sleeping bag, etc) and when I was finished shopping, the nice saleslady gave me $3.75 in cash from the remaining certificate credit.
I then drove to a hippie restaurant called the "Hot Potato" in downtown Portland that had an all you could eat buffet dinner for only $2.00.

While I in the restaurant stuffing myself with baked potato's, someone broke into my truck and stole everything that I had just purchased, plus my chainsaw.
I think that was the lowest time of my life as I stared at the broken wing window that was pried open and knowing that everything inside was stolen.
But, what doesn't kill you can only make you stronger, or, so they say.
But right then I was feeling lower then whale poop.

I stopped by a friends house in SE Portland on the way out of town and he asked me to stay there for a week while he was out of town for the holidays.
The next day I happened to see an old guy repairing a concrete sidewalk next door, and while I was watching him work, he turned around to me and said " If you think I'm going let you learn how to work concrete for free, you've got another think coming. Grab that edging trowel and start easing that edge right behind me as I work, or get the Heck down the road.

He offered me a job and I worked for that old cuss for almost a year.
His favorite saying was "Concrete waits for no man, so be prepared and have your tools ready, because once that truck arrives the coffee drinking and nose picking time is over.

Last Edited:
For years I would go cut firewood in the summer for the shop stove, the house was heated with those sorry azzed Cadet heaters till one caught fire & was spittin sparks. Thank God it was in the bathroom heater & I was on the pot when it happened or the house would have burned!!!!:eek:
My kids knew when it was time to go cuttin when Springer season was over & I was at home on the weekends again.....
I had a friend who worked with me & he blew out his knee one summer & before fall came we were looking at his woodshed (which was almost empty) He said he'd get some wood if it killed him cause that was his only source of heat. The next weekend I showed up at his place with the back of my F150 plum full to the roof & the car trailer behind it was stacked as high as the stake bed sides. He had tears in his eyes before we left empty, he said his knee was hurtin but I knew he was thankful for someone thinking enough about his plight to help out.

Though my days of cuttin firewood are over I still miss it so much, just like big game huntin but I'm too broken up to get any enjoyment from it except food..... It was always about "The Hunt" anyways....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top