JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a smoking deal on an older Stihl chainsaw, but it needs work. Looking for anyone who can attest to a local (portland/vancouver) saw shop to do repairs. In the past, I have used Wayne's Saw Shop in Amboy and have had great service, even after it was sold about 10 years ago. I just don't know if its under the same owner now, and if I can expect the same level of service, besides, its a little far from me now.
I would appreciate any direction from people who have first hand experience with quality of service, price, and turn around time. I live in West Linn now, so staying in the Portland area would really be a bonus.

Banks, OR. hardware store there does great work, little bit of a drive but they know there stuff. They service a lot of loggers and have a solid stihl repair and service dept. plus it's a goodolboy town.

It's been about 4 years since I have used them for some tune ups and parts. My friend use to fall a lot of trees and he always took his saw there.
Google them and see if there is anything on the web about them.
Hope that helps

Dick's Logging Supply in Estacada.

They sell and have excellent service for Stihl chain saws. Bought two there used and have had them both tuned up once after I had them several years. Great prices and they really do work on the loggers saws. They are on Highway 211 just as you enter Estacada.

Remember:

EARTH FIRST!

We'll log the other planets later.

Avoid the place at 72nd and Woodstock. I brought my old 034 in there for a tune and the guy called me to tell me the thing was a complete basket case. Told me he wouldn't even touch it because the cylinder was thrashed. I asked, "Well, how did it run"? He told me it would never run in this condition. I told him it ran fine for me. He called BS, I pulled the cord and it fired, second pull. He never even tried to run it.

He did, however, tell me about his (uncle/brother/cousin/buddy) that loves these old saws and would buy it from me, cheap, if I wanted to at least get a few bucks outta it. Then was real happy to show me the new saws he had.

That was 4 years ago. And several cords later.

BTW, what model saw? Age? I love Stihl's. Post up some pics!
Stihl 031AV. I dont know how old, I got the impression that the AV (anti vibration) mod was from the '80's.
Traded a Guy an Ontario RD-7 and $15 cash!
My first/previous saw was a Stihl 044 magnum. I traded Wayne (wayne's saw shop Amboy) some custom furniture for it. It was really an awesome piece of equipment, sorry I sold it. I think once you have had a stihl, its hard to go back.

Its really amazing how many bad google reviews im finding on all the dealerships in the area. Its unfortunate that people only write reviews when they are upset. It would be nice to know if any of these were offset by a higher ratio of good reviews.

Anyone with experience with Clarks Lawn and Garden in Oregon City? They are close to me, but no google reviews (could be a good thing).

Anyone with experience with Clarks Lawn and Garden in Oregon City? They are close to me, but no google reviews (could be a good thing).

My parents have used them quite often for purchases and rentals, but my Dad fixes his saws on his own or takes them to a saw shop in the Milwaukie or Clackamas areas. Clark's has always provided them with great service and if they are close it would be worth the stop.

Wayne's saw shop in Amboy :) I am not even sure if they are open anymore? I know he sold it years ago and remember driving by there and chuckling as there was a chainsaw shop on one side and a liquor store on the other. Great combination where was the gun store:s0114:

Wayne's saw shop in Amboy :) I am not even sure if they are open anymore? I know he sold it years ago and remember driving by there and chuckling as there was a chainsaw shop on one side and a liquor store on the other. Great combination where was the gun store:s0114:
Yes, Wayne sold it to a guy (dont remember his name) who also, in my opinion, was a pretty hard go-getter. I remember I bent the crank shaft on a lawn mower. Im thinking, engine trashed, right? I took it in to them, a few days later and $35 it was fixed! Turns out they had just purchased a piece of equipment that straightened bent crank shafts without removing the shaft from the motor. Im still puzzled, but mower worked great after that.

Yes, Wayne sold it to a guy (dont remember his name) who also, in my opinion, was a pretty hard go-getter. I remember I bent the crank shaft on a lawn mower. Im thinking, engine trashed, right? I took it in to them, a few days later and $35 it was fixed! Turns out they had just purchased a piece of equipment that straightened bent crank shafts without removing the shaft from the motor. Im still puzzled, but mower worked great after that.

Yeah, the piece of equipment is called a PRESS, LOL. If a crank on a mower is bent to the point its taken out a seal or cracked the casting of the case it's not easily repaired.

A Stihl, a Craftsman, a Husqvarna, a Poulan, a Johnsherd whatever, is not rocket science. There's a place a few blocks South of Lombard in NE PDX called Jay's Mowers, he's in the book. He's been working on small engines for over 30 years. Before he got his own shop 20+ years ago he was with Parkrose Mower when they were a decent shop. I do all my own work, can't have equipment down for a week or two during the busy times, and that seems to be when things break.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads