JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah, the piece of equipment is called a PRESS, LOL. If a crank on a mower is bent to the point its taken out a seal or cracked the casting of the case it's not easily repaired.

A Stihl, a Craftsman, a Husqvarna, a Poulan, a Johnsherd whatever, is not rocket science. There's a place a few blocks South of Lombard in NE PDX called Jay's Mowers, he's in the book. He's been working on small engines for over 30 years. Before he got his own shop 20+ years ago he was with Parkrose Mower when they were a decent shop. I do all my own work, can't have equipment down for a week or two during the busy times, and that seems to be when things break.

Mike

Makes sense, the same force that caused the bend in the output shaft (hitting a stump with the mower blade) could be applied to the output shaft to straighten it. It just seemed that the engine casting wouldnt be strong enough to take it back and forth.
Im not concerned with the job being too difficult, I just want someone who is honest, can produce results in a timely manner, and charges a fair price.
Thanks for the lead.

Im not concerned with the job being too difficult, I just want someone who is honest, can produce results in a timely manner, and charges a fair price.
Thanks for the lead.

And that's what I gave ya' Joe. The shop ain't pretty, but Jay's a good guy.

Have a good one!

Mike

Uncle took two of his Stihl Pro 026's to several Portland shops, including the couple in Newberg/McMinville areas. And all of them told him his saws were garbage, and he needed new ones. He just happened to be in Tillamook one day and stopped by Hallowell Saw Shop and had them look at them just one last official look. The owner Jim told him to come back in 4 hours. He came back and both were running and ready to go. $200 later, and 3 years the saws are still running good.

A little far north for ya but Woodland Saw and Cycle is a good shop - you can get your bike/quad worked on while they fix your saw. Had more experience with them on cycle parts but I know several who have had them work on their saws with no complaints.

Well, I called Jay's shop and really liked them. But, they are out of my way, and I wanted to get the saw in the shop soon. So, I dropped it off at Clark's in Oregon City. I gave them a $40 deposit to inspect it, which they will apply to the repair cost. I hope all goes well, and I can give you all a good report on Clark's.

Dick's Logging Supply in Estacada.

They sell and have excellent service for Stihl chain saws. Bought two there used and have had them both tuned up once after I had them several years. Great prices and they really do work on the loggers saws. They are on Highway 211 just as you enter Estacada.

Remember:

EARTH FIRST!

We'll log the other planets later.

This!
I highly recommend Dick's Logging supply. Go talk to Dean, he's the best Stihl mechanic around.

Anyone with experience with Clarks Lawn and Garden in Oregon City? They are close to me, but no google reviews (could be a good thing).

I've bought a few line trimmers and various Stihl parts from them over the years, and have dropped off a leaf blower for service recently. I will be going to the Stihl dealer in Canby from now on. I paid through the nose for the blower to be tuned up, it took a couple weeks longer than promised (they kept it way longer than the said they would, and I eventually called to tell them I was going to pick it up regardless of how far along they were, and they were magically done with it.) and when I got it back, I had to adjust the fuel mixture myself because it wouldn't idle and it still smoked.

Did you get your saw fixed? Those 031 saws are a great balance of power and weight. I have 2 and use them regularly.

If it hasn't been taken to the shop, what's the problem? Most performance problems can be fixed in a few minutes...

According to their schedule, they were to look at it last Wednesday. I hope to have some answer on Monday about their diagnosis. The guy I bought it from put a carb kit in it because it would not idle. It still does not idle, and I noticed that the muffler was loose when I started it up. I have mechanical abilities, just no place to work on it, and very little time.

Air Leak is a very common cause of idle problems. Could be the hose from the gas filter to the carb or possibly the impulse line. Might even be the fuel filter.

Loose muffler could have vibrated loose OR someone took it off to look at the piston because of some other problems. You can use Red locktite on the muffler screws.

Have you had personal experience with Roy Boys?

I took a lawn mover to Roy Boys in Tigard. Bottom line: I trust them and will happily return with other work. The lady I dealt with on the service writing was professisonal and personable. She did a great job of billing stuff to the manufacturers warrantly and I did not feel bad paying the balance.

That said, this post reminds me that my old chainsaw needs a tune up. Guess it will be going to RoyBoys!

-sbc

I smell trouble... Got a call from Clark's, they said it was an intake boot, cost to replace $130-150! I looked up intake boot, they are available for $10-20. Im having a hard time buying $100 in labor to replace. I think ill call some other places and see what their cost is to replace that part.

I'd let them do the work on it. Cause I had to replace the fuel line on my Pro 026, and that little bubblegum of a hose gave me fits for almost 45 minutes. And all I had to do, was get it through a hole in the tank and to the carb. I was cussing that saw out for a while.

I'd let them do the work on it. Cause I had to replace the fuel line on my Pro 026, and that little bubblegum of a hose gave me fits for almost 45 minutes. And all I had to do, was get it through a hole in the tank and to the carb. I was cussing that saw out for a while.

Funny thing about that repair (or not), is that most 2-stroke outdoor power equipment has the same kind of set-up. A rubber grommet that's shoved on a too small hole in the plastic tank. Then the fuel line, which is too big for the hole in the grommet, needs shoving through into the tank! Then you need to fish the new line out of the tank and install the filter on the end.

The secret to it is to cut the fuel line at an angle on the ends, use a little light oil, and needle nose pliers. Removing the grommet from the tank to put the fuel line through helps.

Mike

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads