JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, they're not going to be expelled. However (comma)

Gonzaga students placed on probation, will appeal

Gonzaga University yesterday advised two senior roommates who fended off a wanted felon with a handgun that they are now on probation, but this morning's Spokane Spokesman-Review reports that Erik Fagan and Daniel McIntosh will appeal the ruling.

<broken link removed>

Update video

[video]http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2013/11/11/college_students_on_probation_pulling_gun_to_defen d_against_intruder_.html[/video]

Thread title is wrong, they won't be kicked out for "owning guns", it would be for the use of them in campus buildings.

Personally I think they did the right thing and there should be no penalty or probation. In fact thy should be honored for stopping a crime and getting a wanted felon off the streets!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

That was my point, too.

Yes, I see that now!!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

So the way I understand it is the school rules prohibit ownership of guns on school owned property. There is a potential to be expelled from school for violating this policy in and of itself. Therefore, the thread title is not incorrect. The fact that they are also accused of "using" the gun does not change the fact that possessing the guns on campus is still a violation of the rules. It may have been more accurate to say that after using a gun to defend themselves, them might be expelled, but the way it is is not wrong.

And Taku, the 2A does not apply to a private entity. Their property, their rules. It may be stupid and counterproductive, but they have a right to make their own rules. You also have a right to ignore them (as these two did) and then deal with the consequences if discovered. Should that be their rule? No, I don't think so, but it is, and the guys signed an agreement to abide by it, so now they have to deal with the school's disciplinary process.

The campus security guys are tools and I hope they do get in trouble for "stealing" the guns. And I hope the school changes their policy. But they are in a hard place right now. They have to impose some penalty against the guys, even if they are glad they did what they did. They have to show that there are consequences for violating the rules, or else all of the rules cease to have power and meaning. They really are in a bad spot. I hope it turns out ok for the guys. Glad they got their guns back in not too long of a time.

I hope that Gonzaga contributors "impose" stiff penalties on the school . . . Perhaps a vain hope.

On another subject. BigStick, why is it that consequences for rules violations NEVER apply to LIBERAL ACTIONS
Sheldon

Sheldon, that is a really good question. I'm not saying I think there should be consequences, or that there deserves to be, just that I don't see how the school can not do "something" to them. Either admit that it is a bad policy and change it, or you have to punish them somehow. Otherwise the facade of power over their students dissapears. Our "Institutions of Higher Learning" have forgotten that they exist to serve and educate the people, not for whatever other purposes they have been diverted to (sports, making money, brainwashing, etc.) It might do our country good for a few of them to be shut down until they remember this.

So the way I understand it is the school rules prohibit ownership of guns on school owned property. There is a potential to be expelled from school for violating this policy in and of itself. Therefore, the thread title is not incorrect.

Technicality, but yes, it is. They can own as many guns as they want. They are just not able to store them on campus property. Owning guns and leaving them at your folk's place while attending college will not subject you to expulsion. I believe this is the point people are trying to make.

Another member posted on the other thread that the university merely leases the apartments and then rents them to students, so they don't even own them!

Technicality, but yes, it is. They can own as many guns as they want. They are just not able to store them on campus property. Owning guns and leaving them at your folk's place while attending college will not subject you to expulsion. I believe this is the point people are trying to make.

Alright, I guess if I'm trying to correct people on a technicality, I should be more careful myself. I guess when I think of owning something, I usually assume that you also posess it. I will concede this argument.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top