JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know the show seems like a bunch of bs, but I still watch it. Anyone else?

Your thought on the new trommel? I think it will fail and they will go back to old blue again.

Dakota fred is an ***. But so is the kid, little cocky sob.

After all the whining about being broke etc. Did you note the massive addition of equipment to the operation? I suspect their sole income is from the production company. I didn't get the same take on the kid, think he is pretty amazing for a high school kid. Bet he thinks twice before bailing out old Fred next time!

I wished it were a show about gold mining. The Discovery channel reminds me of an ex girlfriend of mine... It used to be informative, intelligent and nice to look at. After some time, that wasn't good enough for her. It seems the new model for their TV shows is to find something interesting, add a can of BS and contrived drama about the smallest of things, add commercials and voila, they've got a show with maybe two minutes of useful information. I find this "model" insulting to my intelligence (and I'm not a smart person by any means) and no, I cannot watch it anymore. The majority of Americans must like it or they wouldn't keep making shows by this model. I wish more people felt the way I do and things would change. They'd have to. Until then, I'll just leave the cable disconnected.

I agree, this show is far from reality. I know they are all fake, so I just see it as entertainment. You are totally right, it shouldn't be on that network. I used to watch discovery as a kid and it used to be educational.

Now my kids and I watch TLC, like to watch 'how it's made' and my boys like anything space and science related.

I used to watch discovery as a kid and it used to be educational.
Same with Nat Geo - and now they show 'Doomsday Preppers' Not a heckuva lot of geography, or education there either.
As far as Gold Rush is concerned I don't know much about gold mining - but I talked to someone who does and he told me what they (the Hoffman clan) are doing is all but 100% bassackwards from 'real' gold mining.

How exactly is the show faked? I agree with the addition of BS here and there to make the show more exciting, but these guys are really there, doing real work. So I ask again, how is it faked.

For Gads sake, it's not like pawn Stars which is 100% fake.

How is anyone making $$$ spending millions in an attempt to make one million?

Welcome to the world of business? Its not like its lost capital. You cant expect to turn a $500 investment into equipment into a $10,000 earning.

For example for their situation, you could spend $2 million on equipment and after the season sell it for (if purchased wisely) close to initial investment costs, and any depreciation is your actual equipment cost for the year.

Also I typically see posts about this show and others on discovery/history channels where a commenter believes that the producers are throwing money at the show. In reality they rarely provide any money for shows like this, since its not a huge network with tons of money, so the budget all goes into production costs.

As far as Gold Rush is concerned I don't know much about gold mining - but I talked to someone who does and he told me what they (the Hoffman clan) are doing is all but 100% bassackwards from 'real' gold mining.

My wife works with a man who's son is a gold miner in Alaska, she says he says it's nothing like what they really do.

The show is good for entertainment, as long as you realize that it's mostly fake.
The "miners" are paid salary, the gold count is faked for added drama, and they use "creative editing" to say the least.

Fred had a good rant about some of their "editing" of reality

Fred Hurt: "What has America become? A crowd of blind haters, sucked into the contrived, misrepresented portrayal of "Reality TV"? The editors should be held accountable for altering words, and, deleting critical information that sheds a whole new light on the facts. Before the season started, I voiced great concern about how I was portrayed last year, and insisted Discovery clarify WHY the Hoffmans were going to the Yukon. 99% of that clarification was deleted from the show. The Hoffmans asked to be released from their lease. The owner, embarrassed both personally and professionally by the Hoffmans, immediately put the claim up for sale. He had 3 offers to buy the claim. Had Discovery aired this filmed sequence, and divulged what the Hoffmans knew, the public would have a totally different opinion. I am only giving out this information, possibly in violation of my aggreement with Discovery, because of the serious nature of death threats to me, both direct and implied. If the FBI has to get involved, so be it. This is what America has become. A crowd jerked around by overzealous editors, eager for ratings. You are focusing on the wrong person. I have NO control of the way it gets edited."

How exactly is the show faked? I agree with the addition of BS here and there to make the show more exciting, but these guys are really there, doing real work. So I ask again, how is it faked.

For Gads sake, it's not like pawn Stars which is 100% fake.

Pawn Stars: the old man makes $15,000 per episode, Chumlee makes $25,000 and the father and son each make more. I'd like to have that kind of income, even if the show is fake!

How exactly is the show faked?
I think your term 'faked' is actually a euphemism for 'staged' or 'scripted' Faking something is representing it in a manner that does not really exist whereas yes, they actually are out there working, digging, welding, running heavy equipment but in a staged manner, similar to how a movie is made being filmed in a natural setting. There may not be much of a script but it is most certainly staged.

the old man makes $15,000 per episode, Chumlee makes $25,000 and the father and son each make more. I'd like to have that kind of income
That is the sad part. Most of us bust our derriere for a lot less then we see a fat, illiterate, lisping individual with a vocabulary of probably 25 words in this income bracket.

The part that is faked, or scripted, is the hostility between members of the cast and the breakdowns and time deadlines. All the shows like this are the same from Orange County Choppers to Restaurant Impossible.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top