JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Why would the FBI be digging up gold in the first place?
Yes, why on earth would a monumentally corrupt entity like the FBI want an essentially untraceable supply of cash? Since everything the FBI does is on the up and up, there's no reason why they would need covert cash to fund unscrupulous endeavors.

By untraceable I mean they do not have to account to We The People for a cash supply that is unknown and did not come out of the standard budget process. You could argue that Civil War era gold might attract a fair amount of attention in significant quantities and that would be true...if it were attempted to be sold in large quantities in its original form. Smaller quantities might go unnoticed and/or it could certainly be melted down and would essentially be untraceable.

didnt know anything about this story, sorry if its been posted..
I remember following this at the time on a metal detecting forum I am a member of.

Lots of interesting details and questions as to what exactly they were digging for but like anything we'll most likely never know.

It's possible they were looking for something other than gold as well.

There are some intriguing stories and clues about Dent's Run dating back to the 1970s, with a lot of amateur treasure hunting since then.

Some have said a few bars of gold had been found along with Civil War era artifacts since then but the original story describes the wagon hauling it had broke down, some soldiers took off to get help and when they returned the remaining soldiers - and the gold was gone.

The 'rest of the story' tells of the soldiers taking what they could carry and burying a remaining 26 bars near the area. Somehow this got convoluted into the 'nine tons' by the 'professional treasure hunters' doing electronic research in the area, and claiming they had 'found it'

Personally I would think this having been know about, at least publicly since the 70's, it would have been found by now, or HAS been with the finders maybe maintaining their secrecy about it.

Just imagine how many less FBLIE jackboots would be available to harass grannies who got too close to the Capitol on J6 if they were all busy on wild-goose chases looking for General Lee's gold...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top