JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be heading out I-84 in Oregon in early May and could potentially squeeze in a morning turkey hunt. I don't typically hunt that area. If you know of public land in the stretch from Pendleton to Ontario that holds gobblers, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks in advance.

if you go south from pendleton to ukiah and then out of ukiah to the NF52 theres turkey all over all the way to granite. you can get to ontario that way. its kind of a very long detour though.

theres a sign maybe about 10 miles out of ukiah on the NF52 that says "mushroom camp"

its past bridge creek wildlife area just a little bit. thats where ive seen the most turkey. if anyhing, make that drive and then go back to ukiah and take highway 244 i to la grande and continue your trip to ontario instead of taking the 52 road to granite/sumpter/baker city.

No, we haven't been deer hunting up there for a few years but have been elk hunting that area off and on for 20 or so years. We have been camping at the Drift Fence campground the last few elk seasons which is just before Mushroom Camp. I had to look at Google maps to find the exact road number and realized I have all kinds of pins in that area. Labels like "truck", "Jeff's elk", etc. :)

No, we haven't been deer hunting up there for a few years but have been elk hunting that area off and on for 20 or so years. We have been camping at the Drift Fence campground the last few elk seasons which is just before Mushroom Camp. I had to look at Google maps to find the exact road number and realized I have all kinds of pins in that area. Labels like "truck", "Jeff's elk", etc. :)
thats funny. we hunt deer there. but my group rifle hunts elk off the 150 road. i bowhunt elk and usually camp at
big creek or johnday campground for that.

for deer, we camp by the trout pond in the gravel pit. u prob know right where that is. 263 road. i think.

however, our buddies camp from september to november across from the 150 road. their camp looks like a small town with how many ppl they have in and out of there.

love the area. ive harvested lots of bucks but, it is becomming overgrown since the burn and now the elk are moving back in!! maybe i'll start rifle hunting elk again :)

We hunted around the 150 a bunch for cow season in 2016. Actually just hiked across to 150 from Drift Fence. Had our older gentlemen drive the truck around to pick us up. :D

We hunted around the 150 a bunch for cow season in 2016. Actually just hiked across to 150 from Drift Fence. Had our older gentlemen drive the truck around to pick us up. :D
good area, i actually saw a very nice branch bull in the john day river at the bottom of the NF55 taking a bath with a cow and calf this past deer season. it was like a picture right out of a magazine. was worth the whole trip

Folks, I followed your directions and found the birds. Really great morning. And enjoyed the drive through Granite. Beautiful country.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews