JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I didn't realize all the procedural problems with I-1639 (I guess it passed before I got up here). It looks like a mess. But strangely, it made it through the process:

"However, on August 24, 2018, The Supreme Court of Washington reversed the Superior Court, ordering that a Writ of Mandamus was not the proper remedy as the Secretary of State had not failed to discharge a non-discretionary duty." Oh, yeah, that explains everything. :rolleyes:

I wish the people bringing the lawsuit luck. But we should never forget, that we are living in Clown World.

They've essentially revived the pre-election challenge that won in superior court. The state supreme court reversed it on the grounds that the is supposedly no remedy in WA law to challenge an initiative for defect (doesn't comply with format/procedural requirements) prior to it being passed. Importantly, they never reversed any of the actual findings in the win, just ended the whole thing on a technicality.

Now that the law has passed, that argument is moot, and the suit will have to be heard again on its merits. The fact that it won once is heartening, but I'm sure the state supreme court is poised to find another trick to shut it down again. They are horribly partisan.

Initiatives are in essence, mob rule. I'm sure the intent was to get the ear of a deaf legislature, but it's metastasized.If elected officials gin up something we don't like, we can fire them. Initiatives have safe haven; can't exactly fire your neighbor for voting for it.

Quite a few states have an initiative process and don't seem to abuse it, yet.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top