JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What's a good dependable decent spotting scope for range use only for 25 - 100 yards paper targets for accuracy with occasionally 200 - 300 steel man size targets just for hits.. I dont need anything high end. But I dont want something that feels like a toy with knobs falling off or unusable clarity . just want to see holes on paper at 100 and hits on steel at 200 - 300. Never plan to hunt with it or abuse it. I have a solid tripod so that doesnt matter what it comes with. Hoping to stay $200 or under... unless theres something cheaper that will meet my desires.

Mines an old Minolta that I got at a garage sale for cheap close to 40 years ago. It still works fine and back in the day Minolta was quality stuff. You might paruse old camera shops or gun shows for an old but serviceable scope.

I use a Simmoms for pretty much exactly what you describe. Not the best by a mile, but for what you are looking for, fine. 64 bucks at walmart per Google. I wouldn't suggest it beyond 300 yards for tracking holes in paper.

If you were willing to spend a few hundred more, you could get a vortex and make friends with their warranty department

I have an older Burris 20-60X80 that was reputedly made in Japan, even though it was nowhere marked. Works well and quite clear. Now that the company has become 'Burretta', all bets are off.

You get old like me and you may end up with more than one spotting scope. I have an old one I have used at the range for 30 years with a tripod and then back in the 90s I bought a second one. Second one was a Redfield I bought at an estate sale for $75 without a tripod. I bought it to put in the truck and bought a window mount for it. Handy set up and far better than binoculars for me.

What's a good dependable decent spotting scope for range use only for 25 - 100 yards paper targets for accuracy with occasionally 200 - 300 steel man size targets just for hits.. I dont need anything high end. But I dont want something that feels like a toy with knobs falling off or unusable clarity . just want to see holes on paper at 100 and hits on steel at 200 - 300. Never plan to hunt with it or abuse it. I have a solid tripod so that doesnt matter what it comes with. Hoping to stay $200 or under... unless theres something cheaper that will meet my desires.
Check out Cameraland they have several good deals on spotting scopes at this time.
Best,
Gary

I got the Simmons inexpensive one from cabelas and it's excellent for the $. Previously had a Nikon and vortex that cost 2-3 times more and the Simmons is much clearer than both of those. Also I'm used to high end lenses for wildlife photography etc so I do know the difference between a good and bad lens ha ha. I paid $59 on sale. Have used it for a few years now. 20x is excellent, 40x is good, 60x is poor (to be expected).

This is the one I have:
5CB345DB-7450-4AEC-BFB3-D67B49F1F448.png

also if u need binoculars I can recommend bijia 12x ones (sometimes sold under different names). Excellent binos for little $ (usually $25-$35). Very clear and bright. I liked them so much I bought 4 of them and gave a pair to my nephew and keep one in each car. Much, much, better than mid range Nikons as well as many other middle of the road brands.

I got the Simmons inexpensive one from cabelas and it's excellent for the $. Previously had a Nikon and vortex that cost 2-3 times more and the Simmons is much clearer than both of those. Also I'm used to high end lenses for wildlife photography etc so I do know the difference between a good and bad lens ha ha. I paid $59 on sale. Have used it for a few years now. 20x is excellent, 40x is good, 60x is poor (to be expected).

This is the one I have:
View attachment 897880

also if u need binoculars I can recommend bijia 12x ones (sometimes sold under different names). Excellent binos for little $ (usually $25-$35). Very clear and bright. I liked them so much I bought 4 of them and gave a pair to my nephew and keep one in each car. Much, much, better than mid range Nikons as well as many other middle of the road brands.
I think that is same one I have and why I mentioned it earlier.

I got one of these a few months back when they were on sale for $150 with free shipping. Tripod is weak, but optically was a step up from the $50 on sale Celstron I was using.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top