JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reply I rec. from Rep Stark.

First, let me say I want to keep guns out of the hands of violent criminals but I have yet to see any reports showing me the number of felons in Oregon who bought a firearm from a friend or relative and then went out and hurt others. I doubt Senate Bill 941, the legislation currently being considered in the Oregon Senate to expand background checks for private firearms transactions, will prevent bad guys from doing bad things if they really want to.

I'm intrigued by some of the alternative proposals like a new one from Senator Kim Thatcher. She is suggesting that we allow people to sell or give firearms to other individuals but make it illegal to sell to a person who is prohibited by law from possessing a gun. Voluntary background checks through the Oregon State Police system would still be available, so if you didn't know someone you could make sure they were approved before selling them firearm.

I believe SB 941 has too many unanswered questions and will lead to unintended negative consequences for law abiding responsible gun owners. I will continue to stand up for our 2nd Amendment Rights.

Sincerely,

Duane Stark

State Representative House District 4 900 Court Street NE Salem, OR 97301

503.986.1404www.oregonlegislature.gov/stark
[email protected]

I'm confused. Why is the law about punishing citizens when it's the felon that is prohibited and is breaking the law by obtaining a gun?

Or is this really a felon protection law?

I'm confused. Why is the law about punishing citizens when it's the felon that is prohibited and is breaking the law by obtaining a gun?

Or is this really a felon protection law?
Punishing the felon is too hard to do, so they'd rather pick on the law abiding folk.

From Senator Betsy Johnson

Thanks for your email.
As usual, I will be a "No" on this legislation, however,
I am concerned that, given the current makeup of the senate, my vote won't have much effect.
In any event, I will do whatever I can.
Best regards,
Betsy

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads