JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have an interesting concealed carry problem at work...

We don't allow firearms, period. I have to wear a uniform, always.
After work I often will go out to eat, stop at the grocery store, etc.
I'm thinking that I want a cheaper, small enough to carry, pistol to keep in my glove box/lock box in my truck for just such occasions that I can throw in my pants pocket and go to do whatever.

As I look around, I've had and shot Ruger Lcp's, Keltec p11 and p3at's. I'm kind of leaning towards a surplus pistol Like a CZ70 or a Makarov variant. The Makarov seems like the easy choice, but I like the feel and styling of the CZ70, I just don't know about using 32 ACP for a defensive cartridge.

What's everyones thoughts?

Read an article in a Gun magazine about surplus pistols used for self defense.
Generally the writer thought it was a bad idea due to reliability issue. :eek::eek:
Don't know if I buy that 100% but a Ruger LC9 or Shield are pretty cheap.
Surplus gun magazines can be exspensive. I am of the opinion that 9mm
is minimum size for self defense.

So I have an interesting concealed carry problem at work...

We don't allow firearms, period. I have to wear a uniform, always.
After work I often will go out to eat, stop at the grocery store, etc.
I'm thinking that I want a cheaper, small enough to carry, pistol to keep in my glove box/lock box in my truck for just such occasions that I can throw in my pants pocket and go to do whatever.

As I look around, I've had and shot Ruger Lcp's, Keltec p11 and p3at's. I'm kind of leaning towards a surplus pistol Like a CZ70 or a Makarov variant. The Makarov seems like the easy choice, but I like the feel and styling of the CZ70, I just don't know about using 32 ACP for a defensive cartridge.

What's everyones thoughts?

If you are going to buy a .32 ACP, use underwood ammunition loaded with Lehigh copper bullets for performance.

Ruger LC9s would be my choice. Instead of the glove box I think you should consider at the very least one of those lock boxes that secures to the vehicles seat frame. At least make it difficult for a thief to take and keep a gun out of the wrong hands.

https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Por...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=AB7CFM3REWVFSXSVNJ6K

I bought one of these boxes.... I could open it in 10 seconds with nothing more than my leatherman. This is not security, it's simply a place to put things that you don't want someone who is not trying to steal it from getting at it. Someone who is trying to steal it, this won't slow them down much.

And that center console.... ;)

Yup.

I am still debating on where to put a lock box. Probably under the seat. I need to get my carry permit too. I am getting more and more concerned about having a firearm with me when I commute into Portland daily. I don't go downtown, but I am within a couple of miles and pass thru on the highway. I rarely go downtown - maybe a 2 or 3 times a year. But it only takes once.

Where I work weapons of any kind are verboten - both by the landowner and my employers.

I put something like this in my truck. It is bolted to the frime and now is a permanent fixture. No one is going to get to it and on top of that it is in a hidden section in my front seat so unless you know its there you won't even find it.

https://www.amazon.com/Console-Vault-Dodge-Truck-2009/dp/B003GMB8BY

As for the pistol why go cheap? Lock it properly and you can put what ever you want in there. I carry my Ruger LC9 on me and have a Walther PPQ in the lock box. Don't leave home with out either and lots of ammo.

SCCY CPX-2 (or -1 if you want a safety).

9mm

10+1

Stainless barrel and slide

Florida made

No questions warrenty

About $200 out of the door at most places.

900+ rounds out of mine and only one FTE after 350 rounds to see how it did when dirty.

My truck has a locking glove box, easy enough for someone to break into, but it also has locking compartments under the back seats that are hard to find if you don't know what your looking for. Either way, the SCCY seems like its a good choice, the Ruger LC9S never did anything for me. Another option I thought of was a Smith and Wesson bodyguard. I'm thinking more along the pocket pistol category. Something I can throw in my uniform pocket to go to the store after work.

My truck has a locking glove box, easy enough for someone to break into, but it also has locking compartments under the back seats that are hard to find if you don't know what your looking for. Either way, the SCCY seems like its a good choice, the Ruger LC9S never did anything for me. Another option I thought of was a Smith and Wesson bodyguard. I'm thinking more along the pocket pistol category. Something I can throw in my uniform pocket to go to the store after work.

Or under a trench coat in the winter? Like a AR9 pistol! :p:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads