JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello NW Firearms,

I just bought a new set of Night Fision sights during black friday for my carry pistol. Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary tools to install them at home. Night Fision recommends that the sights be installed with a nylon punch and a hand file.

Can someone recommend a low cost gunsmith in the Portland Metro area that can install the rear sight for me?

Hello NW Firearms,

I just bought a new set of Night Fision sights during black friday for my carry pistol. Unfortunately, I do not have the necessary tools to install them at home. Night Fision recommends that the sights be installed with a nylon punch and a hand file.

Can someone recommend a low cost gunsmith in the Portland Metro area that can install the rear sight for me?
If you don't mind driving across the I-205 bridge, there's Brimstone Gunsmithing.
They are located in the same building with SafeFire, the new, state of the art indoor range in West Camas.
Plan your trip so you can shoot as well. They also have a nice rental fleet, so you can try out some different models if you wish.

Brimstone only charged me $16 and some change to do a rear sight on a Glock.
They use the pro version MGW sight pusher. (way mo betta than a punch !)
Price List

If you don't mind driving across the I-205 bridge, there's Brimstone Gunsmithing.
They are located in the same building with SafeFire, the new, state of the art indoor range in West Camas.
Plan your trip so you can shoot as well. They also have a nice rental fleet, so you can try out some different models if you wish.

Brimstone only charged me $16 and some change to do a rear sight on a Glock.
They use the pro version MGW sight pusher. (way mo betta than a punch !)
Price List

I assume they will file down the sight to fit, yes? Manufacturer prefers punches over pushers - I myself don't care as long as nothing is forced. Manufacturer claims to oversize sights a bit.

We usually do glock sights while you wait. Shoot us a message if interested! :)

I agree with direct drive, never heard of anyone suggesting punches over pushers. I have fixed many a sight swap done by punches lol

Cammenga/Night Fision reps claim that the company prefers their sights be hand fitted and installed with a nylon punch.
That sounds like a sales rep talking and not a gunsmith.
I wouldn't take very much stock in it.
ESPECIALLY if we are talking sights with tritium tubes in them.

If I was to request a qualified gunsmith to use a punch over a sight pusher, he would probably look at me crossways.

;)

If I was to request a qualified gunsmith to use a punch over a sight pusher, he would probably look at me crossways.

;)

Yes I am pretty sure their smiths and engineers do not answer my customer service messages.

Here is one example of a rep officially claiming that they prefer punches

Update:

Took an hour long drive to Safefire/Brimstone. Beautiful looking facility. Cost $20 for the rear sight installation however upon closer inspection the rear sight does not appear to be centered. I was short on time and it was late so i couldn't get a detailed look at the sights. May try to contact them soon to see if I can have this corrected for free or maybe just take it to NW armory

Update:

Took an hour long drive to Safefire/Brimstone. Beautiful looking facility. Cost $20 for the rear sight installation however upon closer inspection the rear sight does not appear to be centered. I was short on time and it was late so i couldn't get a detailed look at the sights. May try to contact them soon to see if I can have this corrected for free or maybe just take it to NW armory
Try shooting it before you move it.

No.

FDCC1D90-47D6-4C9E-A644-C88C40C9E91E.jpeg 5D29CD11-763A-4102-9A59-CAFD83A2F4BE.jpeg

;)
Hey guys,

Apologies for dusting off this ancient thread, but was doing a search for "Night Fision Sight Glock install" and came across your forum and this thread, so signed up to pass this on.

I just bought two sets of Night Fision sights and was going to use my MGW sight pusher, but Night Fision wants me to pound them in. I know. Made no sense to me. So after multiple calls and internet searches found out (it was like pulling teeth to get them to acknowledge it) it's because they supposedly use larger tritium vials under more pressure (which are evidently more fragile) and also make the sight with a larger base for all size dovetails. That's why you also have to use their front sight screw and be very careful about torgue; using the stock Glock screw will pierce the larger vial.

Also, most sights use a softer steel to allow "squeezing" into the dovetail, while NF uses some particularly hard steel. So the sights get forced in by the pusher and snap in half. NF not only wants you to drift them in, but is very specific about _where_ you strike the sight blade. It has to be at the base, and not the top of the sight, or it voids the warranty. The way I read the fine print, virtually any damage by any means to the sight while installing it voids the warranty, so they're covered no matter what.

It's made me second guess my decision to buy them, but we'll see. On a Brownells install video they say starting the rear into the dovetail 30% is sufficient, but now they're saying 50%, which is going to mean stoning the bottom of the sight. I have some good drifts, so will start with the Delrin and go CAREFULLY from there.

Anyway, just FYI, and congrats on a nice forum here. If anyone is ever down in the People's Republik look me up on Calguns under this user name.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads