JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently finished off a bag of factory reloads. 1000 rounds and zero issues, but using a Ruger and Sig's. I wouldn't want mine fireing on an open chamber no matter what ammo I shoot.
Some Pistols have looser chamber tolerances than others and are more forgiving to out of spec ammo

Some Pistols have looser chamber tolerances than others and are more forgiving to out of spec ammo

My 1911s always did fine with factory reloads and I like to shoot my own reloads as well. But ya an open chamber isn't the best for reloaders and an unsupported case that's worn isn't the best choice for Glocks.

Did the case burst from being out of spec ? Or not being supported .

No offense to the OP here, but he has stated they have yet to try some factory ammo, therefore the reloads they are shooting COULD be the heart of the problem. Until some factory ammo is tried, there's no more point in speculation.

To add, the gun is only firing out of battery because it's not going fully IN to battery. Definitely could be ammo related.

My 1911s always did fine with factory reloads and I like to shoot my own reloads as well. But ya an open chamber isn't the best for reloaders and an unsupported case that's worn isn't the best choice for Glocks.

Did the case burst from being out of spec ? Or not being supported .
I think is was just a weak out of speck case that made it through inspection at the reloaders.

No offense to the OP here, but he has stated they have yet to try some factory ammo, therefore the reloads they are shooting COULD be the heart of the problem. Until some factory ammo is tried, there's no more point in speculation.

To add, the gun is only firing out of battery because it's not going fully IN to battery. Definitely could be ammo related.

No, man, it's got to the gun. :rolleyes:

No, man, it's got to the gun. :rolleyes:

Well, I checked all 5 of mine, and they all will complete a trigger pull with the barrel JUST starting to disengage from the slide. But I've never had any issue like the OP. And I shoot A LOT. Is it possible it's the gun? Sure. But having not tried factory ammo me thinks its more than likely the reloads. Until they try some, we are all just pissing in the wind here.

Well, I checked all 5 of mine, and they all will complete a trigger pull with the barrel JUST starting to disengage from the slide. But I've never had any issue like the OP. And I shoot A LOT. Is it possible it's the gun? Sure. But having not tried factory ammo me thinks its more than likely the reloads. Until they try some, we are all just pissing in the wind here.

Pretty much.

Pretty much.

Pissing in the wind is what you insist he's doing because it's a beloved Glock.

If he's a reloader with any sort of experience, reloading 9mm parabellum is as easy as it gets. If someone came to me and asked which cartridge should they learn to reload, it would be 9x19 because it's so freaking easy as a straight wall cartridge.

Now if you can't understand there are things like manufacturing tolerances that can lead to different guns disconnecting at different unlocking positions, then that's another issue. Yet don't bring your ignorance into the conversation and start suggesting unsafe practices.

If the gun is suspected to be firing out of battery, it is patently unsafe and he should return it to the manufacturer immediately or a good gunsmith. Not run a whole bunch of factory ammunition through it which may also cause a case head separation.

You're giving unsafe advice because you think it can't be the gun because Glock is perfect. That's dangerous hubris. Glocktardia to the extreme.

There has been no sound logic or troubleshooting steps suggested to this problem from the beginning. That's called pissing in the wind, gents.

Out.

Pissing in the wind is what you insist he's doing because it's a beloved Glock.

If he's a reloader with any sort of experience, reloading 9mm parabellum is as easy as it gets. If someone came to me and asked which cartridge should they learn to reload, it would be 9x19 because it's so freaking easy as a straight wall cartridge.

Now if you can't understand there are things like manufacturing tolerances that can lead to different guns disconnecting at different unlocking positions, then that's another issue. Yet don't bring your ignorance into the conversation and start suggesting unsafe practices.

If the gun is suspected to be firing out of battery, it is patently unsafe and he should return it to the manufacturer immediately or a good gunsmith. Not run a whole bunch of factory ammunition through it which may also cause a case head separation.

You're giving unsafe advice because you think it can't be the gun because Glock is perfect. That's dangerous hubris. Glocktardia to the extreme.

There has been no sound logic or troubleshooting steps suggested to this problem from the beginning. That's called pissing in the wind, gents.

Out.

When did I ever suggest suggest unsafe practices? And I'm ignorant as well? Wow man, you don't know me at all and I'd appreciate a little more respect as my posts have all been respectful. I did say it could be the gun, but I also said the next logical step is to try factory ammo. It couldn't possibly be his reloads and MUST be the gun because it's a Glock by your logic. :rolleyes:

Go hate somewhere else.

Also when these characteristics of the design are brought up, a swell of people appear to bury the topic with comments of "normal" and "millions of rounds." Look at the beginning of this thread where multiple folks showed up with "yeah that sounds like this problem so and so had." Ok so there are some legitimate problems. Now it has evolved into "oh this significant thing intrinsic of the design isn't really a problem." So it's not ok to indicate there may be a problem with the design tho that's what the initial look said. Hell someone even recognized it and wrote an article about why it's ok. That means this is known but not popularly brought up because it's taboo to discuss this gun in depth.

It's frustrating for anyone trying to actually understand the limitations of the design that I need to actually go back and prod the person having issues possibly because so many people have suggested him and his wife are just using the gun wrong. Yet what he's found is there is a legitimate function of the pistol causing his problem. If this was a S&W pistol, there'd be 100 YT channels trying to get their guns firing out of battery, or loading up nuclear rounds to get the gun to fail.
It seems to me you're complaining about a non-issue.
You have observed that your Glocks can drop the striker when not in battery and not fire your reloads that haven't been fully chambered.
What's the effective difference between that and a disconnector that disallows dropping the striker and the same not firing of the cartridge being the result?

Accusing members of ignorance and or the giving of unsafe advice , because of their liking for a certain firearm is unacceptable.

If someone has given unsafe advice ...then by all means give a rebuttal...but do so respectfully and by the giving of facts.
Andy

I plunk test every single round of my reloads... you'd be surprised what you find. For some reason I have yet to figure out, some range brass won't pass muster after reloading. I usually don't have that problem with brass I shot myself. I use Dillon dies too.

I "plunk" test all of my handgun ammo in my 3rd gen smiths. They always go bang, no failures whatsoever. My glock, not so much. Maybe that's why my glock is now a m96 Swedish mauser. Ha ha. Sorry lgs, I got the better end of that deal. :D:rolleyes:

With all due respect sir. A good weapon should NEVER fire out of battery.

Understood. But since we all seem to have the same thing going on and with Glocks worldwide reliability reputation I would still suggest trying factory ammo to see if the reloads are what is keeping it from going IN to battery. Or don't and send it back to Glock. We can argue amongst ourselves all day but I'm sure not selling all my pistols over this perceived issue with Glocks.

And to recount, it's not firing far enough out of battery to expose/blow a case, so I think the OP is safe to try factory ammo.

FYI-

Another thing I picked out while recently reading through REAMS of forum posts pertaining to this issue made over several years across Glock-talk, TFL (etc) is that soft primers seem to contribute to this phenomena as much as anything. As I've stated earlier, Glocks were (are) designed for use as combat handguns under less than optimal maintenance conditions in extreme environments (and I'll add) using milspec ammo which typically use harder(er) primers (for obvious reasons).

Mayhaps our cat-loving, speed-demon of an OP (LOL.... ;)) should make some reloads with known hard primers that are analogous to milspec, and check the results!

Last Edited:
You know if y'all shot some real guns you wouldn't have this issue or discussion...
Instead , we would be talking 'bout :
Flash in the pan...
Lock geometry...
Whether to prime from your horn or use 4F powder...
Flint bevel up or down....
Lock tumblers and sears....
All of which can cause a flintlock to fire or not fire in "battery" so to speak....
Oh wait...:D

Just trying to inject some humor here....
Andy

And just because its factory ammo you shouldn't think its always perfect. These were in a recent box of 9mm from a large well known manufacture. I did get a free box for my trouble. I have seen primers set deep and length discrepancies with factory stuff.

P1010739.JPG
P1010743.JPG

And just because its factory ammo you shouldn't think its always perfect. These were in a recent box of 9mm from a large well known manufacture. I did get a free box for my trouble. I have seen primers set deep and length discrepancies with factory stuff.

View attachment 476313
View attachment 476314

Good point. I'd run at least two different factory ammo brands through it to get results.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top