JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
All Glocks will fire out of battery. And if the gun is too far out of battery, you feel it. My wife had a Smith Sd9ve - current gen Sigma (glock copy) that just like a glock, will fire out of battery. I had it do that during a string, it hurt. Didn't blow the gun apart but it ruptured the case and shot hot gasses out the side of the gun.

It does not matter why the slide does not fully seat, its still not good that the gun will fire. Its thankfully not real common that it fires too far out of battery. If it does it with factory ammo, I think I'd be putting in a new recoil spring to see if it helps fix it.

There is a middle ground between reloads and Critical Defense ammo. For example, I acquired 1000 rounds of Blazer brass 115gr 9mm at Ammoman for $205 shipped. less than .21 per round, if my calculator is a-figgerin' right.

I agree, the question is not why is it firing out of battery, but why isn't it going into battery? Using some standard factory loads might get you closer to the answer.

There is a middle ground between reloads and Critical Defense ammo. For example, I acquired 1000 rounds of Blazer brass 115gr 9mm at Ammoman for $205 shipped. less than .21 per round, if my calculator is a-figgerin' right.

I agree, the question is not why is it firing out of battery, but why isn't it going into battery? Using some standard factory loads might get you closer to the answer.
NW Armory has 1000rds of Sellier & Bellot 115gr FMJ for $180 in store pickup. $0.18 a round is tough to beat and you don't have to deal with shipping.

Nah, my G26 wasn't doing that at all. It was leaving the spent case sitting on top of the next round in the mag and jamming. I replaced the recoil spring assembly, the extractor and the ejector. Cheap and easy fix. It has been 100% reliable ever since. I'll bet mine was made on a Friday afternoon. :D
Perfection*

Ammo dimensions should be the same as they have been for the last few years of loading with this setup, but again a possibility. We "plunk-tested" a number of them along the way for QC purposes. No FTPs (failures to plunk:D). There are still a few hundred from this loading session we can plunk test.

When you "Plunk Test" do you play with OAL until they don't plunk? Then you know how far off the lands the shoulder of the bullet is. Considering we don't trim (Do you?) taper crimped cases, a longer case will cause OAL to be up to .005+/- longer than desired OAL. You can have a positive "Plunk" with one shell and then another with longer brass that would stick in the lands.

Interested to see how this resolves. I want to look at my brass the next time I take out my G42 to see where the strikes are. Never had a bobble with it and probably has 2K rounds through it now. Never even occurred to me that the gun could fire out of battery. Nowhere knowledgeable enough to know what could be the root cause...

After testing all the Glocks in the house (19, 26, 27, 27, 43), and a few at the LGS, including new ones and one of the employee's carry guns, I have determined that it is just something Glocks do. No it isn't the ammo because I can make it do it unloaded. So can you; after making sure it is UNLOADED, simply push the slide back until the barrel just starts to disengage from the slide. Pull the trigger and the gun will dry fire. Now try it with any other gun, say a 1911. The disconnector will prevent it from firing long before the barrel moves away from the slide. Her 43 will do it further out of battery than others, but all of the Glocks do it.

Still not sure why Jeannie's was out-of-battery when it fired, but whatever the reason it shouldn't fire in that state. She has shot it quite a bit since then and it still does it, but she hasn't shot any factory ammo yet. In the last session of about 200 rounds 10 primers were struck so far out of center that they (fortunately) didn't fire. Several others out of center yet still fired. She was on the other range so I didn't get a chance to watch what was happening, though she said she could sometimes see it out of battery.

If you attempt the above-mentioned test, push the slide back until the barrel has dropped far enough to put the firing pin in line with the edge of the primer. Now ask yourself if you would want the gun trying to fire in this condition. Hers is. We've plunk-tested a bunch of her reloads without any indication of a problem either.
It didn't seem to bother anyone but me, but now Jeannie is wanting to send it back and see what Glock says.
I wasn't a Glock fan before this, and I'm still not.

Good info. May I ask again what the meat and potatoes of this topic is? Is the gun firing out of battery and making it unsafe? I ask because I have 5 Glocks with THOUSANDS of rounds through them and I haven't experienced any issues that make me worry about them being reliable and safe.....

And to add to this, I haven't had any off center primer strikes from any of the brass I've picked up.....

Yes the gun is firing out of battery. Unsafe?? I thought so. I think if you ask any gunsmith or shooter that knows the term "out of battery" if they consider it unsafe I'd guess all would say yes. Most manufacturers take great pains to make sure that their guns DON'T fire out of battery and to find that Glock doesn't seem to care was a bit distressing.

@Velzey and @NWCustomFirearms,
I believe you two are the most respected gunsmiths here, what do you say about a gun that fires out of battery??
Please see my posts 1, 16, 35 39, 57 for details.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top