JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is pure tyrannical bullcrap!

One of the foundational tenets of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, it is not on me, the citizen, to prove that I bought my magazines legally before the ban. These things were LEGAL when I purchased them. Why on earth would I save a receipt? Am I supposed to be a mind reader on what legislation the tyrants might pass at some future date? Hardly.

Accordingly, it is on the State to provide conclusive evidence that I acquired the mags AFTER the ban. If they can't conclusively prove that, then they have NO case.

Note that we've been dealing with this nonsense in California for years. It's one of the major problems for the anti gunners with the magazine ban...they have to be able to conclusively prove you acquired the offending magazine(s) AFTER the so called ban...which is extremely hard to do.

The antigunner's solution to this problem, however, was to pass a new law to a) eliminate the grandfather provision, and b) attempt to make outright possession of any and all high capacity magazine illegal. Citizens were expected to surrender, destroy, or sell out of state (somehow)...and without any compensation provided by the State...all their newly anointed ILLEGAL magazines or face arrest.

As you can imagine lawsuits were filed and the case has been in the courts for a few years at this point. It is Duncan v. Bonta.

It is for reasons like this that gun owners in Oregon and Washington need to pay close attention to what is going on in California and help fight the California fights. EVERYTHING that is coming to Oregon and Washington is coming courtesy of California. It is only a matter of time. Consequently it makes far more sense to join forces and fight the fight in California and stop it before it migrates north.

Do not cave to this nonsense!

WOLVERINES!

Last Edited:
This is pure tyrannical bullcrap!

One of the foundational tenets of our legal system is innocent until proven guilty. Accordingly, it is not on me, the citizen, to prove that I bought my magazines legally before the ban. These things were LEGAL when I purchased them. Why on earth would I save a receipt? Am I supposed to be a mind reader on what legislation the tyrants might pass at some future date? Hardly.

Accordingly, it is on the State to provide conclusive evidence that I acquired the mags AFTER the ban. If they can't conclusively prove that, then they have NO case.

Note that we've been dealing with this nonsense in California for years. It's one of the major problems for the anti gunners with the magazine ban...they have to be able to conclusively prove you acquired the offending magazine(s) AFTER the so called ban...which is extremely hard to do.

The antigunner's solution to this problem, however, was to pass a new law to a) eliminate the grandfather provision, and b) attempt to make outright possession of any and all high capacity magazine illegal. Citizens were expected to surrender, destroy, or sell out of state (somehow)...and without any compensation provided by the State...all their newly anointed ILLEGAL magazines or face arrest.

As you can imagine lawsuits were filed and the case has been in the courts for a few years at this point. It is Duncan v. Bonta.

It is for reasons like this that gun owners in Oregon and Washington need to pay close attention to what is going on in California and help fight the California fights. EVERYTHING that is coming to Oregon and Washington is coming curtesy of California. It is only a matter of time. Consequently it makes far more sense to join forces and fight the fight in California and stop it before it migrates north.

Do not cave to this nonsense!

WOLVERINES!
All of that makes good sense to me. The thing is, if someone decides to arrest you for violating that law, none of what you just said will matter unless and until you are in front of a sympathetic judge and/or jury. That could take several years, several trials, many, many dollars and a whole lot of heartache. So while these aholes continue to persecute us for no good reason, keep in mind that very few of them give one single bubblegum about you or me.

If they pass this bullbubblegum, my plans for getting out of this God-forsaken state will be accelerated a little.

All of that makes good sense to me. The thing is, if someone decides to arrest you for violating that law, none of what you just said will matter unless and until you are in front of a sympathetic judge and/or jury. That could take several years, several trials, many, many dollars and a whole lot of heartache. So while these aholes continue to persecute us for no good reason, keep in mind that very few of them give one single bubblegum about you or me.

If they pass this bullbubblegum, my plans for getting out of this God-forsaken state will be accelerated a little.
Agreed. But I never said freedom was easy. ;)

I've been getting ready for the assault rifle and magazine ban in Wash. for several legislative sessions. In addition to writing a lot of letters and sending emails.

Concerning the latest proposal about magazine capacity. There is a grandfather provision included, subject to being able to document when the item was purchased. It mentions that the picture must be shown to have been taken prior to the effective date of the ban. Which I take to be a date / time stamp on a digital picture. The last version of this I read also required that the owner of the magazine had to be in the picture.

Years ago, I had a Sanyo digital camera with the date / time stamp feature that was optional. Well, that got a tool dropped on the screen and broke. Then I adopted an Olympus SP-320 digital camera, nowhere in the small but thick instruction book does it mention such a feature. Nor can I dope it out on the various settings of the actual camera.

Next, I went to the two smart phones my son has given me. Both are Motorola, one newer than the other. The older one, no date / time stamp feature. Nor could I find it on the newer one ("6" ?). At this point, I sent an email to my son asking how I could call up this feature in the newer phone. He sent me back pictures of what my screens are supposed to look like and it showed the date / time stamp option under the watermark feature of the picture settings. Next, I went to my phone and brought up the settings screen. It looked just like the picture my son sent - EXCEPT - the watermark options on MY phone do not include date / time stamp feature.

Which leads me to an observation I've made numerous times in the past. When I'm trying to dope out some internet or otherwise electronics problem, the pictures shown online NEVER SEEM TO MATCH UP WITH MY PARTICULAR DEVICE OR EQUIPMENT. Even if the model number, etc. is the same.

I've heard people refer to "crappy Android phone" and I guess this is an example. But after all, my two Android phones were given to me, my son pays the monthly bill for me, so I really don't have any reason for complaint based on what I pay.

I also have an Alcatel pre-paid flip phone, this is the one I carry with me when I'm away from my place. It has a camera feature, I checked, and needless to say, this one doesn't have a date / time stamp feature either.

Next step, check into some kind of App that I can install on the Android that adds the date / time stamp feature to my images.

For documentation purposes in the future, I'm not sure how pictures taken on such and such a date will be validated as against a picture that has had a date added at a later date. Maybe there is digital information embedded in the picture that reflects this, I don't know.

Easier solution, maybe have one of my kids with a phone take the pictures with theirs and send it to my email.

A person could take a contemporary dated newspaper front page and put that in the picture. But it seems like a person could keep an old newspaper and take a picture of it at a later date any old time.

If the magazine ban law passes, is it expected that we carry around these documentary pictures whenever we have the magazine out with the gun?
Most AR mags are date coded by the manufacturer as well

If the magazine ban law passes, is it expected that we carry around these documentary pictures whenever we have the magazine out with the gun?
Sounds like you have an argument for the law being arbitrary, capricious, unjustly burdensome, unenforceable, and potentially ageist. If the law passes, find yourself a good lawyer and file the suit that gets it repealed.

I'm getting ready for the ban...training to be more accurate.

Aperently the broken justice system is still an avenue for some...me we're way past that.

They can't define "Infringe"...we are done.

I don't think I would be putting those photos in a smart phone (or the "cloud" for that matter).

A camera that uses removable media I believe is the ticket. A removable SD card would answer a number of SHTF scenarios that come to mind.
Especially if you are the type that may distrust the Brandon sub-gene. :rolleyes:

I don't think I would be putting those photos in a smart phone (or the "cloud" for that matter).

A camera that uses removable media I believe is the ticket. A removable SD card would answer a number of SHTF scenarios that come to mind.
Especially if you are the type that may distrust the Brandon sub-gene. :rolleyes:
These days you have no idea what happens inside that phone when you take a picture. If it's a current Android phone, data is sent to Google/Alphabet regularly about what you've been doing with the phone. There are supposed to be settings to turn that stuff off, but I'd be rather shocked if you can really disable all of it. Whether the picture itself may make it somewhere you don't want from any one given device I can't say, but these days nothing would surprise me. And if you have Tik Tok installed, you're sending scads of data to the CCP. That's not a rumor; It's well documented.

Just buy hundreds of springs and followers, and as many empty mag bodies and call them "repair kits" for grandfathered magazines :rolleyes: like the Cali "mag rebuild kits" or whatever State that was
That's for after a ban if it happens. Load up on the real thing before the ban. Better still, don't let the the goddam ban happen in the 1st place.

The fact that we are even at this point is a huge problem. The 2nd amendment is the only amendment that specifically states...SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. I vote against everything this liberal state does however it doesn't seem to matter when these asinine bills make their way to the Senate every year. We The People hold the power over the elected. Our founding fathers are rolling in their graves right now, and would have definitely been stacking 2 years ago. They went to war with the greatest empire on Earth at the time(British) over a 2% tax increase on a breakfast tea. Do you think that they would have tolerated any of the BS that's been happening? We have become complacent and comfortable. We haven't had to fight for our freedom in a long bubblegum time. Remember, freedom is not given, it's fought for...

There are supposed to be settings to turn that stuff off, but I'd be rather shocked if you can really disable all of it. Whether the picture itself may make it somewhere you don't want from any one given device I can't say,
I actually found those settings when I was looking through my Android phone for the date / time stamp thing. Mine are set on Off. I'm not sure I trust having a cell phone linked to the internet or the "cloud." My preference is not to provide a record of where I am or have been. I leave all such devices turned off except for the exact period of use. My flip phone likely pings off cell phone towers in my trips out (when I remember to take it). I can't do much about that and still be available for emergencies. But the Android, that stays off unless I want to use it somewhere in the house, away from the PC. But when not in use, I turn it off.

So you register your mags so they can take those away later?
So far, the legislation proposed does not call for registration of magazines.

My philosophy re. large cap magazines is I probably will never need one as a practical matter. I envision my personal need for firearms in a defensive situation; an extended shoot-out requiring lots of shots is on a low order of probability. Very low. Yes, I like the option of having more shots, but in my later years I never use them when shooting recreationally. I have 20 round mags for the M1A, never use them. I find the 10 shot preferable. I have 30 shot mags for the AR15's, never use them, a 20 is my preference but I have some sporting mags, I think they are five shot. Never use those, either.

The House and Senate bills differ at this point. The Senate wants to allow up to 17 round capacity. The House bill is stuck in the 2021 version, still poses a limit of 10 rounds. Of course most modern 9mm pistols have a normal, factory magazine capacity of over 10 rounds. If these bills move forward, hopefully the actual round count allowed in the final bill will be negotiated upward to what the Senate has proposed.

At this point in time, the proposed bills wouldn't require magazine owners to chose between compliance and non-compliance because of the grandfather clause. Which is what this thread started out about. And, they can be legally handed down to heirs ("operation of the law"). Do not assume that I am in favor of these bills. "Getting ready" for changes in the law for you may mean stocking up on more mags that you may continue to own, so long as you buy them before the effective date.

A major stinker in the proposed bills, grandfathered magazines would have limits on where they may be taken / used. As do the bills re. assault rifles.

What we cannot now know is, are the gun-haters going to try for full confiscation at some later time. As they've attempted in California. That will be the moment when you must decide for or against compliance. We aren't there yet.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top