JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
2 things...
1) Support is growing for Germans to own real firearms in leiu of recent events. I don't know Europe, or Germanys gun laws except that they cant, in general. But if you have to ask you almost deserve what you get, especially if you wait till its too late.
2) Permits to carry blank guns? Somebody enlighten me before I officially quarterback from my armchair and call it really dumb....

German right-wing leader backs citizens' right to arm themselves

In general, Germans may posses firearms, including semi-automatic handguns/rifles. There are restrictions on the weapon's caliber, barrel length and brass size. Everything larger than 20mm–20mm comes within German "War Weapons Control Act"—is considered unlawful for private users.

To possess a firearms, an individual needs must provide the state with a reason why they want to buy, own and shoot a particular gun. This can be: sport shooting, hunting or collector/surveyor (the rarest form of gun ownership). There are different requirements to receive permission for each use:

Sport Shooting

You have to be member of an established shooting club, certified by this sport shooting society for at least 12 months. Before you can buy your first gun you also have to . . .

– provide proof of at least 18 practice sessions within 12 months (i.e. with a rental gun at your shooting club)

– pass a governmental exam of general firearms knowledge (use, laws, handling etc.)

– receive a letter from your certified shooting society stating that you need a gun or guns for a specific shooting discipline (e.g., "precision shooting cal. <.38 25 meters")

– provide a form establishing that you have no criminal records

If you manage to jump through all those hoops, the state grants you the right to own two hand guns and first three <broken link removed> rifles. However, you are only allowed to buy two fire arms within six months.

You also receive two different types of owner cards: a yellow "sport shooters firearms owner card" and a green "firearms owner card".

Yellow Card

With the yellow card you are allowed to buy single shot and repeating <broken link removed> with a rifled barrel, and double-barreled shotguns (over-and-under 0only, no <broken link removed> , no pumps). Defacto you go to your gun dealer, show your yellow card and buy such a gun.

The dealer records the sale on your card and informs the authority responsible for your place of living. You have to go to your local authority within 14 days to get a confirmation; they put a seal on your card. The purchased gun must be suitable for a discipline offered by any certified german shooting society (not necessarily the club where you qualified).

Green Card

All other weapons which don't apply to the yellow card must be recorded on the gren card. For example, <broken link removed> , revolvers, semi-autos, pump action shotguns etc.

It's more difficult to purchase a firearm with you green card. First, you must maintain your status as a sports shooter (18 training sessions within 12 months). You have to file a petition with your shooting societey for a discipline (i.e. "pistol combined shooting cal. <9mm, 25 meters").

With copies of both cards (green and yellow) you must show that you actually don't have another example of the gun you want to buy, or another gun which fits the mentioned discipline. Two guns in same caliber are allowed—but only if you are a succesful shooter at state level (as a backup gun for competition purposes.

If your shooting society provides permission for the new gun, your gun-authority or responsible police office must then endorse the green card, giving you specific permission to buy the specific type of gun. This record is valid for one year.

After you buy the gun, you have to follow the same procedure as stated above: the dealer records the sale to the card and informs the authority responsible for your place of living. Again, you have 14 days to go to your authority to receive a confirmation (a seal affixed to your card).

There are many types of hand guns and <broken link removed> which are generaly not allowed for sport shooting purposes, such as rifles with barrels <40cm, <broken link removed> <40mm

Hunting

To receive a hunting license you must . . .

– pass a government exam of general knowledge (firearms use, laws, handling etc.). The hunters' exam is very expensive (apx. 2000 EUR). The failure rate is high (apx. 60-70 percent). You have to learn "butchery," "veterinary," "ranger," "groundsman," "lawyer," "gunsmith" and "ballistic."

– provide extended personal record. This includes any information on any government conviction or fine

– purchase a hunting license for one year (apx. 120 EUR)

If you pass the hunting exam and receive a hunting license, you are allowed to buy as many <broken link removed> as you can securely store. You're allowed only two handguns—one in .22lr and one heavy-caliber, both for coup de grâce and questing.

You have to regularly renew (buy) your hunting license, which always requires a criminal background check. There's no hunting quota; you can be a hunter without shooting any animal anytime but with your safe full of <broken link removed> and ammo.

You also have to use your "green card" as a permit to buy a firearm with your hunting license. Once again, the dealer records any and all gun sales on the card and informs the authority responsible for your place of living, triggering the 14 day deadline for an official seal on the card.

As a hunter, you can buy some weapons which are not allowed to sport shooters (or only with special permit). Those include pump-action shotguns (as many you can afford) and short-barreled semi-auto rifles (>40cm barrell, compact black <broken link removed> like a mp5, m16).

Unfortunately, you are not welcome with such "harvesters" at a hunting party. Those are restricted to semi-autos with two-shot magazines. This goes back to the "Reich hunting law" by the "Reich Hunting Minister" Herman Goering. The Allies weren't rigorous enough mucking out those Nazi-crap with their tommy guns and Garands in 1945. Seem your grandpas forget to leave a Second Amendment for us.

Anyway, most German hunters are over 50 years old. Young people have little interest in becoming a hunter; it's expensive, difficult (exam) and your collegues are almost near to death. Aside from this, hunters don't get much respect in German society. "Bambi-killer," "boozing companion" and "sex murderer" are some of the better insults they receive.

Collecting

As indicated above, collectors are the rarest group of all German gun owners. To become a gun-collector and get the "red collector card," you have to pass a test on the topic of your collection. For example, you must have profound knowledge of "German handguns of the Wehrmacht" or "long rifles with Mauser-system until 1945." The two main restrictions: the year of the weapons' construction may only extend until 1945 and the subject must be specific. No "Weapons of the Allies" or "German handguns."

After you get the red collectors card, you are allowed to buy guns which apply to your chosen collection area. The purchase procedure is same as a hunter: no mandatory endorsement by third party but reporting to the authority by seller and the buyer with confirmation. Oh, and you need a separate permit to buy <broken link removed> for the collected guns.

Concealed Carry

In general, a legal gun owner may not receive a Concealed Carry (CC) permit. The government only grants a CC is to people in serious danger of bodily harm of kidnapping, regardless of their status as hunters, sport shooters, collectors or none of the above. Needless to say, politicians at state level are automaticly allowed a CC permit.

Again, as a "normal citizen" you have to establish that you in terrible danger. Being shot more than one time is considered adequate proof that you qualify. Being murdered is the best proof to get a CC. Unfortunately, a posthumous CC isn't much use. The state does not allow citizens to be buried with a loaded weapon.

Transporting Guns

The "group of the three" legal gun owners must carry their guns within a closed and locked case, separate from the <broken link removed> . Fast access is prohibited. A gun must not be ready to threat/shoot within 10 seconds. The "locked" provision came into force after the school shooting of Winnenden (near Stuttgart) at 3/11/09.

A licensed hunter is only allowed to carry his loaded gun within his hunting ground. If he has to cross a street or motorway to get from one hunting area to the next, he must unload and lock all his guns and enter the second area before unlocking and reloading the guns.

So you now know how to get a gun or rifle here in Germany. Please note that it's much easier (and cheaper) to get a driver's license for a 20t gasoline truck. For example, there's no need for a background-check to drive such a "bomb on wheels." Crazy laws all over.

Fast access is prohibited. A gun must not be ready to threat/shoot within 10 seconds. The "locked" provision came into force after the school shooting of Winnenden (near Stuttgart) at 3/11/09.
about as stupid as our "gun free school zone" law here in the US. Certainly that's going to prevent someone who went thru all the legal hoops to lawfully own a gun there from shooting up a school with their lawfully purchased gun....

excellent informative summary of the gun laws in Germany, yes I'm aware that in Germany and in other places in Europe it is possible to actually "own" guns (in a non-practical sense...) but to clarify that's not what my thread is about its about them asking to loosen their gun laws for self defensive purposes....

Carrying a blank gun, now there's a great idea! Seems like one hell of a good way to get your self killed! I think all the gun grabbing politicians should have to arm their security forces with blank guns and see how that works for them. TOTAL BS, at least the slingshot could do some damage and possibly help to thwart an attack. I can't wait for the idiot gun grabbers go try that crap here, Come and friggin take em!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I lived in Germany for eight years, and had the usual green card [waffenbesitekarte] and waffenerlubniskarte - now both obsolete. But I DID have seventeen guns - rifles and handguns - in Germany.

I was a member of the 140+ y/o BSN Heros club in Berlin during our time there.

It seems that the gun laws in Germany are FAR more rigorous than those 'enjoyed' by shooters here in yUK.

In Germany you are not allowed to hunt even on your own property!

tac

I understand the Germans are actually demanding guns, because of the muslim problems they are having. I really think the Germans need some b alls and I think they might find them in their
wife's purse. If someone raped my son, daughter or wife, you won't find me moping around cause I can't find a gun, I will find the first thing that looks like a weapon, it might be a rock and I will bash the perps ugly head in with it.

I understand the Germans are actually demanding guns, because of the muslim problems they are having. I really think the Germans need some b alls and I think they might find them in their
wife's purse. If someone raped my son, daughter or wife, you won't find me moping around cause I can't find a gun, I will find the first thing that looks like a weapon, it might be a rock and I will bash the perps ugly head in with it.

Links or it didn't happen:rolleyes:

Go to your search engine, I went to ask.com
enter muslims rape germans I'm sure you'll see the 'epidemic' of crazy perverts who cannot control themselves is taking off, all over Europe, Germany is simply the newest to suffer

I told them to get some farm animals, but they wouldn't listen

If you meant the 'bash the perp's head in with the rock',
it hasn't happened yet, but I'm committed (or will be)

The Germans are NOT demanding guns - they are demanding that be allowed to arm themselves, like YOU do, to defend themselves and their loved ones.

Literally millions of Germans already HAVE guns.

Just need the law to change, is all.

tac

The Germans are NOT demanding guns - they are demanding that be allowed to arm themselves, like YOU do, to defend themselves and their loved ones.

Literally millions of Germans already HAVE guns.

Just need the law to change, is all.

tac

Yeah but millions more need them, it shouldn't take that much crap to be able to defend your family with more than a blank gun or a slingshot!. God gave all of mankind the right to self preservation and you will NOT take that away from me with out one hell of a fight! You feel froggy then jump and bring it on!!

they are demanding that be allowed to arm themselves

This really speaks volumes to me, I dont know if its even possible to "demand to be allowed" to do anything. I suppose its possible if they ask enough... ?

Good point. :) If you think about it, the whole concept of demanding anything seems a little iffy. Demanding X just seems to put you in a subservient position. You are there, patiently waiting for the person to agree. Rather than just going ahead and doing X...

Just to repeat myself about a hundred times -

The USA is the only country on EARTH that has the RKBA in its constitution.

For everybody else, that doesn't live in Sh*thausistan or Wongaland Africa where 8-yo all have AKs, it's a right that has been taken away from the citizen by their government, and is therefore up to the whim of government to issue permission - or not - as they see fit.

Mostly, they 'see fit' NOT to allow the citizen to arm themselves in SELF DEFENCE..

Like it or don't, Gentlemen, that IS the way it is.

Here in yUK, I can't change it, nor can the Germans, nor just about anybody else.

So it really is a waste of your precious time shouting at me about the injustice of it all, capisce?

tac

Last Edited:
tac, my apologies. Im not shouting, or directing anything at you.

In fact Ill throw out a huge appreciation to you for all your input on the gun laws and gun culture over there...

Shux, now I'm all embarrassed. No need to apologise, like most folks who have to live here, I have to abide by the law of the land, and that law says that I have to have permission to have guns.

Mind you, there was a time back then when Queen used to hand them out to me in very large numbers - almost limitless amounts of ammunition, too. But I had to wear funny clothes that other people used to shoot at, while I was wearing them.

However, I WAS allowed, nay, actively encouraged, to shoot back at them.

And kill them.

Sigh..........those were the days, eh?

tac

2 things...
1) Support is growing for Germans to own real firearms in leiu of recent events. I don't know Europe, or Germanys gun laws except that they cant, in general. But if you have to ask you almost deserve what you get, especially if you wait till its too late.
2) Permits to carry blank guns? Somebody enlighten me before I officially quarterback from my armchair and call it really dumb....

German right-wing leader backs citizens' right to arm themselves

Just shows how far the liberal agenda can go, that one has to get a license and go through an extensive background check in Germany just to be able to own a little can of pepper spray, or a taser.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top